Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose oen
Baltimore 21 14.48%
Washington, D.C. 59 40.69%
Charlotte 18 12.41%
Atlanta 28 19.31%
New Orleans 19 13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
Ditto MassVt Not only the cold weather but all those bugs, snakes and allegators, how can they even close there eyes at night to sleep !!!!
Well we Southerners love the bugs and snakes for our soups and stews. As far as allegators, they are our pets as well as on many northeastern business peoples shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Well it is in metro Boston... still correct?

Because the former is a fact that can only be proven wrong by other facts. Everything thing else is an opinion. Opinions lend themselves to an individuals beliefs and there are no wrong answers. If one person said it feels northern and another person says it feels southern... they are both right. It is a pointless argument, (but fun.)

basically: facts > opinions.

However if everybody concedes that DC is factually in the south than we can discuss why it "feels" northern now
... which is suspect, because I think that people feel that it is northern just because it is a big city and they are stereotyping the south as being slow, uneducated, conservative, ritualistic, and backwards area. Not recognizing that major new south cities have emerged that shatter those stereotypes, but instead of recognizing the south has progressed and the culture has been reshaped or broadened to include it. Many people would rather say those cities have have become less southern so they can continue to stereotype and belittle the south.

However San Fransisco hasn't been seen to be more northeastern nor Detroit or Chicago... even though they have much more in common with the northeast than DC and those regions have seen just as big as a transformation. Honestly it's insulting.

LMAO wow!!!! I don't even know where to begin with this.

1) Certainly. That's why we have encyclopedias, specific city forums, city information pages, and 100000 other resources that are dedicated to providing factual information and statistics . The city vs city forum, I would imagine, was designed to discuss the 'intangibles', or things that cannot neccessarily be objectively quantified (i.e. CULTURE, VIBE, ATMOPSHERE...you know, THE STUFF WE SHOULD BE DISCUSSING RIGHT NOW. This is not to say that statistics/facts can't be included and won't influence how compelling your argument is, but if the question could be SUFFICIENTLY answered through these means, it wouldn't belong in the CityVSCity forum!

How many "which city is more populous: Atlanta or NYC" polls do you see poppin' up in c VS c?

How many "According to this diagram, does city 'A' fall above or below the red dividing line" in c VS c?

You get the point. These questions are useless in this particular sub-forum because they can be answered irrefutably without any discourse at all-- ONE NEED ONLY LOOK AT SOME PARTICULAR MAP OR STATISTIC. What the hell is left to talk about?!? NOTHING. Hence the glaring distinction between CD's information/statistical city pages and its c VS c forum.

So, honestly, spare me the "facts > opinions" garbage; nobody is denying the notion that facts are better than opinions when the question can be answered objectively. And stop with the "opinions are opinions--so they are all equally true" nonsense!! What are you 12?! This sounds like something you'd here two 10 year olds say at recess. There are good opinions and there are bad opinions. THIS is where the value of discourse--which is the very ESSENCE of this type of forum--surfaces.

Now, for the 3rd time, all I was doing was demonstrating that "sk8's" Mason-Dixon line argument is just as useless as my dated-stereotype driven argument. While his argument is true, it has absolutely ZERO bearing on what we're ultimately discussing. And my claim--whether true or not--is useless as well because there's no supporting argument.

2.) LMAO you cannot be serious!! No one would ever deny this!! First of all, presupposing most of the people here have made it passed middle school, this should be common-knowledge. Secondly, the very fact that a 'factually answerable' question has made its way to the c VS c forum, naturally implies that the OP either already knows, or simply isn't interested in where DC falls relative to some line on a map.

3.) Na, since people voted 170-60 (or whatever it is) in favor of DC being more NE than southern, you and the few others who voted against the overwhelming majority would be the ones who are "suspect?".

4.) As for your actual argument (if that's what ya wanna call it), I will not comment; if it was this difficult just to get you to address the question FOR WHAT IT IS, I can't imagine what an actual debate would entail. However, I'm sure a few others will gladly present you with a compelling argument--whether you choose to listen is up to you. It's just opinion, remember?

5.) Bro, I don't even know what you're trying to say here?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The numerous posts you have made absolutely trashing the South proceed you. Do you have some sort of delusion that they are simply erased somehow?

You have made it beyond clear where you stand, and I am only saying I can understand it. Being from a failed area gives me the same perspective you obviously have.

BUT, just because you are now going to school in Boston seems to be giving you a false sense of security re: your region, imo. Which is totally failing, no matter how you wish to spin it.

- I didn't start 'trashing' the south until I realized that reasoning, logic, and analytical thinking is basically obsolete among southerners (actually, quite frankly, its just Atlantans) on this forum. And I when I do take the occasional shot at the south, I do so explicitly--I never try to portray it as some sort of evidence for my argument, like many of you do.

- LMAO @ your psychoanalysis; you should stop wasting your time worrying about me, and go get an early start on that 8hr commute through sprawlanta you got in the morning.

- AHHAH wow. In the middle of this economic hell-hole the entire country is in, you want to single out the NE?! Dude, isn't the south the poorest region in the nation?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
LMAO wow!!!! I don't even know where to begin with this.

1) Certainly. That's why we have encyclopedias, specific city forums, city information pages, and 100000 other resources that are dedicated to providing factual information and statistics . The city vs city forum, I would imagine, was designed to discuss the 'intangibles', or things that cannot neccessarily be objectively quantified (i.e. CULTURE, VIBE, ATMOPSHERE...you know, THE STUFF WE SHOULD BE DISCUSSING RIGHT NOW. This is not to say that statistics/facts can't be included and won't influence how compelling your argument is, but if the question could be SUFFICIENTLY answered through these means, it wouldn't belong in the CityVSCity forum!

How many "which city is more populous: Atlanta or NYC" polls do you see poppin' up in c VS c?

How many "According to this diagram, does city 'A' fall above or below the red dividing line" in c VS c?

You get the point. These questions are useless in this particular sub-forum because they can be answered irrefutably without any discourse at all-- ONE NEED ONLY LOOK AT SOME PARTICULAR MAP OR STATISTIC. What the hell is left to talk about?!? NOTHING. Hence the glaring distinction between CD's information/statistical city pages and its c VS c forum.

So, honestly, spare me the "facts > opinions" garbage; nobody is denying the notion that facts are better than opinions when the question can be answered objectively. And stop with the "opinions are opinions--so they are all equally true" nonsense!! What are you 12?! This sounds like something you'd here two 10 year olds say at recess. There are good opinions and there are bad opinions. THIS is where the value of discourse--which is the very ESSENCE of this type of forum--surfaces.

Now, for the 3rd time, all I was doing was demonstrating that "sk8's" Mason-Dixon line argument is just as useless as my dated-stereotype driven argument. While his argument is true, it has absolutely ZERO bearing on what we're ultimately discussing. And my claim--whether true or not--is useless as well because there's no supporting argument.

2.) LMAO you cannot be serious!! No one would ever deny this!! First of all, presupposing most of the people here have made it passed middle school, this should be common-knowledge. Secondly, the very fact that a 'factually answerable' question has made its way to the c VS c forum, naturally implies that the OP either already knows, or simply isn't interested in where DC falls relative to some line on a map.

3.) Na, since people voted 170-60 (or whatever it is) in favor of DC being more NE than southern, you and the few others who voted against the overwhelming majority would be the ones who are "suspect?".

4.) As for your actual argument (if that's what ya wanna call it), I will not comment; if it was this difficult just to get you to address the question FOR WHAT IT IS, I can't imagine what an actual debate would entail. However, I'm sure a few others will gladly present you with a compelling argument--whether you choose to listen is up to you. It's just opinion, remember?

5.) Bro, I don't even know what you're trying to say here?
1.) Fair point... I even repped u on that... despite your unartful response, because you are the first person to recognize that DC is in fact in the south and saying it isn't is an educated (or uneduacted) opinion.

Furthermore you are right this is a site where people give their opinions on opinionated topics. However just like you say "which city is more populous: Atlanta or NYC" isn't a CD type question. Is DC in the north or south, the way it is worded, is also a pretty open/shut argument. If it was worded "does DC feel like a southern city" or "does Dc have a more northeastern vibe thatn southern" than that would be different and less misleading. The OP in this thread asked what southern city people like and included DC and some people protested DC isn't in the south like it is a fact so I responded.

2.) I did offer my opinion I said, " I think that people feel that DC is northern just because it is a big city and they are stereotyping the south as being slow, uneducated, conservative, ritualistic, and backwards area. Not recognizing that major new south cities have emerged that shatter those stereotypes, but instead of recognizing the south has progressed and the culture has been reshaped or broadened to include it. Many people would rather say those cities have have become less southern so they can continue to stereotype and belittle the south."

As far as vibe...

I also said that I feel that inner-city DC is similar to Savannah, but on a larger scale. I feel that it is much more similar to Savannah than NYC because Savannah was a big city in the 1800's and was designed without cars and mind. DC is much larger, but they both have that similar grand building design and both very charming and beautiful without skyscrappers. As opposed to NE cities like NYC, Philly, Boston, etc. that have breathtaking high density skylines. It has also grown in step with other southern cities so although the core is unchanged. The suburbs are very much like the major sunbelt cities.

Lastly I brought up other cities across the country that could be considered Northeastern with the logic most have brought up to describe northeastern culture. Big city and industrious = northeast... rural agricultural = southern. Does not exist anymore.

Last edited by theATLien; 11-02-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Lastly I brought up other cites across the country that could be considered Northeastern with the logic most have brought up to describe northeastern culture. Big city and industriuos = northeast... rural agricultural = southern. Does not exist anymore.
Basically.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 AM

SO LET'S MAKE THIS CLEAR CITY-DATA:

You agree that the D.C. is geographically located in the south. ok.

But, you think that a city that is "educated", large, "fastpaced" and "urban" and don't agree with your stereotypes and hangups is not "Southern", right?

So any city that meets that criteria is deemed "Northern" or "non southern" regardless of geographic location?

So I am guessing Houston, Austin, Miami, and Atlanta are not "southern" then? Any city that breaks your hangups is no longer "southern". Well then wouldn't that make many northern cities "southern"? Do they get a pass because of geographical location?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Things change over time. Washington, D.C. was once considered southern culturally, but it is no longer. Over the past 4 decades or so, it's local culture has transformed to one that is more northern. Living here, you feel significantly more connected with the large cities to northeast, New York City especially I'd say. Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City fall in a 250-mile stretch that is the most densely populated and well-connected infrastructure-wise in the U.S. These cities are also strongly tied historically. So, it's obvious why this region has grown closer and more similar.

The large southern cities, on the other hand, are many hundreds of miles away. Atlanta is 650 miles from Washington, D.C. These cities are not regionally connected in any meaningful way. That's not to say, of course, that there is no connection. There's a great deal of movement of people between the northern and southern U.S. And Washington, D.C. is the nation's capital after all. So, it's laws affect cities on a national scale as well. On a national level, Washington, D.C. is neither northern nor southern. It represents the entire U.S. (or is supposed to anyway).

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-02-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:28 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
I find it funny on this board that the southerners want to claim DC geographically, but when it comes to progressive ideas, they can't wait to call it Yankee/northern.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Baltimore is in no way "the South." It has more in common with Philadelphia than Atlanta (and its not all that far from Philly). Maryland may be geographically southern, but it has more in common with PA, NJ, NY than it does with any southern state.

Although I did pick Baltimore, since, being from PA, I'd probably feel most at home there.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I find it funny on this board that the southerners want to claim DC geographically, but when it comes to progressive ideas, they can't wait to call it Yankee/northern.
Nice blanket you got there.You sound very experienced with the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City