Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 PM

22 posts, read 39,127 times

Advertisements

The problem with Houston is we actually have a huge underground water source but we can't use it to much because then the ground will sink around an inch a year. I think in here and especially in cali they should try an start desalinization plants, possibly water could be desalinized and pumped over to vegas and phoenix? i don't know if thats realistic or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How long ago was it that there were Phoenix forumers on here getting mad that others suggested the city may have a water problem?
I'm not sure what the point of your post is; however, if we must speak about it, I most certainly remember more ignorant posters from outside of Arizona claiming they knew more about Phoenix's water source (there are more than one) than Phoenicians did and they did a lot of bitching about how water conservation was non-existent and the cities were going to dry up soon. Since many of you believe that our only source is Colorado River water, the fact is that of the 2.8 million acre feet of Colorado River water allocated to AZ, only 1.2 million is allocated to the Central Arizona Project and the rest to farms and Indians. Since much water is used for farming, desert farmers should consider converting to drip irrigation rather than flood irrigation (and the result of water being wasted due to evaporation) with the help of federal or state subsidy programs of course due to the high cost involved.

While it is true that climatologists believe that we are experiencing the early stages of extended drought conditions in the region (with help from ring tree analysis covering the past few hundred years), we truly cannot predict 100 percent what the outcome will be, but it is not as though the state of Arizona and its residents are sitting back and doing nothing. There have been times when precipitation levels have been abnormally high for several decades. When you take a look at the difference between water going over the spillways at Hoover Dam in 1984 and then look at the lower levels now, that was attributed to one of the worst El Ninos in history that resulted in high snowpack in the Rockies followed by an unexpected heatwave that Spring. The precipitation levels today are closer to the normal precipitation levels of the preceding 200 years.

Phoenix Water Sources - Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Your Water

New Water Supplies - Official Site of the City of Phoenix - New Water Supplies

Phoenix Historical Population & Water Use - Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Historical Population & Water Use

Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm not sure what the point of your post is; however, if we must speak about it, I most certainly remember more ignorant posters from outside of Arizona claiming they knew more about Phoenix's water source (there are more than one) than Phoenicians did and they did a lot of bitching about how water conservation was non-existent and the cities were going to dry up soon. Since many of you believe that our only source is Colorado River water, the fact is that of the 2.8 million acre feet of Colorado River water allocated to AZ, only 1.2 million is allocated to the Central Arizona Project and the rest to farms and Indians. Since much water is used for farming, desert farmers should consider converting to drip irrigation rather than flood irrigation (and the result of water being wasted due to evaporation) with the help of federal or state subsidy programs of course due to the high cost involved.

While it is true that climatologists believe that we are experiencing the early stages of extended drought conditions in the region (with help from ring tree analysis covering the past few hundred years), we truly cannot predict 100 percent what the outcome will be, but it is not as though the state of Arizona and its residents are sitting back and doing nothing. There have been times when precipitation levels have been abnormally high for several decades. When you take a look at the difference between water going over the spillways at Hoover Dam in 1984 and then look at the lower levels now, that was attributed to one of the worst El Ninos in history that resulted in high snowpack in the Rockies followed by an unexpected heatwave that Spring. The precipitation levels today are closer to the normal precipitation levels of the preceding 200 years.

Phoenix Water Sources - Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Your Water

New Water Supplies - Official Site of the City of Phoenix - New Water Supplies

Phoenix Historical Population & Water Use - Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Historical Population & Water Use

Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
What's the issue regarding the word Phoenician? That what residents of Phoenix are called.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM

LMAO c'mon!!!!

how often is the term used?!?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
LMAO c'mon!!!!

The demonym for people living in Phoenix is Phoenician.

LYFAO...but you're the one looking stupid. Too bad you didn't have anything of importance to contribute.

Demonym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The demonym for people living in Phoenix is Phoenician.

LYFAO...but you're the one looking stupid. Too bad you didn't have anything of importance to contribute.

Demonym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the enlightening wiki article.

I really hope you don't use the term 'Phoenician' in real life.

If someone ever said that word to me in a conversation, I would casually pull out the baby powder from my back pocket, sprinkle a liberal amount on my hand, and proceed to pimp slap the ***** out of them.

Phoenician...wow.....Phoenician.....

SMACK

Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the enlightening wiki article.

I really hope you don't use the term 'Phoenician' in real life.

If someone ever said that word to me in a conversation, I would casually pull out the baby powder from my back pocket, sprinkle a liberal amount on my hand, and proceed to pimp slap the ***** out of them.

Phoenician...wow.....Phoenician.....

SMACK

I figured you'd need to understand what a demonym was first.

Thanks for providing such value to the topic in this thread.

Quote:
First of all, I am a d!ck in real life as well; a much bigger d!ck actually, because I can't get banned in real life lol.
Now, thank you for the enlightening article about you.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I figured you'd need to understand what a demonym was first.

Thanks for providing such value to the topic in this thread.

Now, thank you for the enlightening article about you.

For all intents and purposes, my post was of equal value to this discussion as any of the others (namely, they're all useless). Water depletion issues aren't going to be solved or surfaced through a CD forum--leave that ***** up to the people who are paid (and qualified) to handle/address it.

I am seriously thinking about relocating to Phoenix, solely so I can refer to myself as a Phoenician.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
LMAO c'mon!!!!

FYI, every day - all day long.

Google Answers: Phoenix, AZ residents appropriately known as Phoenicians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City