Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
[QUOTE Originally Posted by bballniket
Top 10 subway systems (excluding commuter rail and light rail) based on usefulness, imo are:
1. MTA New York City Subway
2. Boston MBTA red, blue, and orange lines
3. DC Metro
4. Chicago CTA
5. Port Authority NY/NY PATH
6. Philadelphia SEPTA Market Frankford, Broad Street and Broad Ridge Spur lines
7. BART (debatable that its commuter rail, but since it has 7 stations in SF, multiple in Oakland, Berkeley and the close-in peninsula, and since it runs underground through SF, lots of Oakland and Berkeley and under the bay, I'll include it)
8. PATCO (low ridership, but very useful for getting from South Jersey to CC Philadelphia)
9. MARTA
dunno about number 10
Just curious and while PATCO is very good and expanding (though currently a small system) why would you not include it's sister PATH in the NYC metro - much higher ridership and far more comprehensive. ]

I'd listed it as the number 5 system.
My bad - though would put Septa above PATH but agree it is very good [/quote]

I agree that they're both really good systems given the generally poor state of urban/inner-suburban transit in the US, but I feel like PATH serves its function (connecting portions of Urban Northeast NJ to NYC) better than the Subway portion of SEPTA does (connecting portions of Philadelphia to one another). Of course this ranking is a bit odd because it isolates the subway systems from other modes of transit, when in reality all modes of transit are connected and all are necessary to give clear picture of the transit situation in a metro area. This is particularly true of SEPTA, with its large trolley and regional rail networks that are very well connected to the subway network (much better than PATH is connected to the NYC subway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times
Unrelated to ranking, but SEPTA and MBTA are really similar systems. Both have relatively extensive trolley networks and commuter rail systems run by the same transit organization. Both have three large commuter rail terminals in the city (South Station, North Station, and Back Bay Station in Boston and 30th Street Station, Suburban Station and Market East Station in Philadelphia)...DC has A LOTTTTT of catching up to do in terms of commuter rail to compare to either Philadelphia or Boston.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 AM

336 posts, read 768,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Unrelated to ranking, but SEPTA and MBTA are really similar systems. Both have relatively extensive trolley networks and commuter rail systems run by the same transit organization. Both have three large commuter rail terminals in the city (South Station, North Station, and Back Bay Station in Boston and 30th Street Station, Suburban Station and Market East Station in Philadelphia)...DC has A LOTTTTT of catching up to do in terms of commuter rail to compare to either Philadelphia or Boston.
DC's metro also doubles as a commuter rail you know that right?

WMATA map (DC area subway) - Google Maps

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
DC's metro also doubles as a commuter rail you know that right?

WMATA map (DC area subway) - Google Maps
Yea I think most people here realize that the Metro is a bit of a hybrid rail...but if you're going to say that's the CR of DC and compare its map to the maps of the MBTA and Septa, then the Metro gets crushed.

Septa (http://felttip.com/svmetro//septawatch/maps/img/LK-SEPTA-Map_medium.gif - broken link)
http://felttip.com/svmetro//septawatch/maps/img/LK-SEPTA-Map_medium.gif (broken link)

MBTA

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM

315 posts, read 666,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
Good read, thanks for the info!

I must say NYC being in the top 10 is interesting considering how America hasn't embraced public transportation as a country as much as other countries. We're more of a "everyone should have 2 cars" country.

Yeah but NYC is a completely different beast from the rest of the US. The car culture criticism doesn't really apply there. Not only does it have the largest subway system in the world (by stations), and one of the largest bus fleets, but ~55% of NYC households don't own a car.
List of U.S. cities with most households without a car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Manhattan, ~77 % of households don't own a car:
New York City Green Business Certification | GREEN BUSINESS LEAGUE (http://www.greenbusinessleague.com/greencity/ny - broken link)

NYC also has one of the very, very few 24 hour subway systems in the world. Not even Tokyo or London can boast about that.

Thus, NYC does focus on public transportation in contrast to the ignorant comments made earlier on this thread.
As the stats clearly show, in terms of overall ridership, accessibility, and coverage, the NYC subway easily compares with (and even surpasses) the very best systems in the world.
That should not be surprising to anyone who has spent any amount of time using the public transit in NYC.

Last edited by Lancer78; 05-16-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
I think Galactic lives in NYC. He just said it was interesting, and it is.

I personally think it's interesting (and ridiculous) how much people in NYC whine about the MTA. And a lot of Manhattanites may not own cars, but spend a whoole lot of time (and $$) in taxicabs and livery cabs.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM

315 posts, read 666,371 times
^^I was born/raised in NYC and have known for some time how its subway compares with the rest of the world in terms of size and ridership.
I got an even bigger appreciation of NYC transit when I moved to live in car-oriented places elsewhere in the country. I can never complain about the MTA after seeing the rest of the country.. lol.

What I find interesting is that some posters have remarked that NYC does not focus on public transportation!!!

On what universe is that statement even remotely true?

Last edited by Lancer78; 05-16-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea I think most people here realize that the Metro is a bit of a hybrid rail...but if you're going to say that's the CR of DC and compare its map to the maps of the MBTA and Septa, then the Metro gets crushed.

Septa (http://felttip.com/svmetro//septawatch/maps/img/LK-SEPTA-Map_medium.gif - broken link)

MBTA

But Metro crushes Septa and MBTA for ridership combined.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

MBTA
If thats the case and Metro/MARC/VRE combined is on par with SEPTA and MBTA, since the DC area is less dense than Greater Boston and Philly area, it works out evenly.

http://mta.maryland.gov/images//Marc_Map_and_Legend_UPDATED_2.JPG (broken link)

Would've been more lines of Maryland never torn up many of its railroads.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Notice how far our commuter rail lines go.
-DC to West Virginia
-DC to Perryville, MD via Baltimore
-DC to Fredericksburg, VA

Those are some pretty far places.
Commuter rail stations in Boston and Philly are too close together which means the trains are slower.
Our system, however have station that are far apart thus reaching far areas in less time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City