Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these three the most influential areas of the country? SF/NYC/DC
Yes 47 54.65%
No 32 37.21%
Other 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times

Advertisements

I always viewed San Francisco as the Left Hand, Washington DC as the right hand, & New York City as the Brains of it all.

I guess what I do mean to say is that I find these three to be the most important, which can be debated to death actually, because a case can be made. I find them to be the most influential areas also.

And I also find them to be the areas with the most role in the future of our country and the social aspects of our country. I guess its linked with the idea that Washington DC is the most educated place in the country, San Francisco & New York City follow.
They are the top places in terms of wealth overall for the entire Metropolitan Area.

And Washington DC naturally has the Federal Government, and I personally believe it to be the solid # 2 important city in the country now. A more centralized government, and a more larger presence in Global affairs thus giving the Federal Government more prominence.

San Francisco (And the rest of the Bay Area) is the most innovative place on the planet, especially for start ups. It's literally got its hands on everything, besides being the Federal Government.

New York City, there needs nothing to be said about this one. It's by far and away the most influential and powerful city in the country.

Honestly I do have a bias motion for the Bay Area (close family) and Washington DC (its a new home for my parents), to have thought this up.

So anyways, do others see these three areas (the cities and their respective CSA's) being the most prominent areas of the country as well? Or is it just me on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM

No one? LOL this isn't my first time being the odd one out.

3 Most Prominent Metropolitan Areas:
- Tri-State Area (New York City-Jersey City)
- DMV Area (Washington DC-Baltimore)
- Bay Area (San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland)

In my opinion at least.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
I still think LA is probably more influential at least from a media and optics perspective relative to SF

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
I agree with New York and Washington but IMHO.......not San Francisco.....maybe Los Angeles; but it depends on your parameters and which criteria each poster values more, relative to others.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,556 times
washington dc the most corrupt city in the world

Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No one? LOL this isn't my first time being the odd one out.

3 Most Prominent Metropolitan Areas:
- Tri-State Area (New York City-Jersey City)
- DMV Area (Washington DC-Baltimore)
- Bay Area (San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland)

In my opinion at least.
dont include us in that "DMV" f*ckery.... we are strictly BALTIMORE. DMV is the DC area

Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM

whats the deal with this whole "SF over LA" situation anyway?? is SF suffering from the ATL complex of not knowing their place?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM

isnt DC more influenctial than NYC?? personally, i always thought the nation's capital was always more influential than manhattan... after all, DC bailout out Wall st., not the other way around.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
whats the deal with this whole "SF over LA" situation anyway?? is SF suffering from the ATL complex of not knowing their place?
I'm not from San Francisco or the Bay Area for that matter. I actually personally love Los Angeles as a city more than San Francisco.

I just personally view the Bay Area as more important than Los Angeles but the problem is, I have no ranking to back it up, instead all I have are the cases I can make for it.

In which case, I really want to make one here and get some ideas flowing, its free game, if someone thinks Atlanta deserves to be in the top 3, then bring it up and make a case. I'm willing to listen and debate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
isnt DC more influenctial than NYC?? personally, i always thought the nation's capital was always more influential than manhattan... after all, DC bailout out Wall st., not the other way around.
No Arnold went to Washington DC, to get bailout also for his state of 38 Million people, but in turn all he got was "Balance your budget yourself" from the Federal Government, whereas Wall Street got the Bailout because it influences Washington DC more than Washington DC can influence it. Out country runs on capitalism, and Washington DC knows that New York City runs Finance, and if that goes down, our country's economy is going down.

In Great Depression in 1929 happened because of New York City, Wall Street crashed and it left the worst economic chaos in American History. That is what that one industry can do to our country, the only other two niche industries that are comparable in power and influence as Energy & Federal Government.

So technically New York City is the only one to receive bailout, over 50 US States that need some method of funding, that speaks volumes of how influential New York City is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I still think LA is probably more influential at least from a media and optics perspective relative to SF
I agree Los Angeles has 3 Main Advantages over Bay Area and those are:
- Sea Port
- Larger Economic Output/Population (Economic Output being a direct correlation to population)
- Film Industry

Media, I disagree with, they might be tied or it could actually lean towards San Francisco Bay Area now.
www.Yahoo.com
www.Google.com
www.facebook.com
www.YouTube.com
www.Twitter.com

Those being just the first to come up in my head for Media & Communication influences. Everyone E-Mails, everyone YouTubes (Majority do), everyone has access to social network sites, and everyone internet searches. Various modes of Media and their outlets, they have a more direct impact (in my opinion) to the world around us and our country than any Film Industry offering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I agree with New York and Washington but IMHO.......not San Francisco.....maybe Los Angeles; but it depends on your parameters and which criteria each poster values more, relative to others.
In my personal opinion, Los Angeles has a mere 3 things above Bay Area in general. I can list multiple countless things Bay Area has above Los Angeles if need be. It is houses some of the highest level schools in the country, tech, new media, politics, wealth generated, finance, Federal Reserve Bank, and so on and so forth.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I'm not from San Francisco or the Bay Area for that matter. I actually personally love Los Angeles as a city more than San Francisco.

I just personally view the Bay Area as more important than Los Angeles but the problem is, I have no ranking to back it up, instead all I have are the cases I can make for it.

In which case, I really want to make one here and get some ideas flowing, its free game, if someone thinks Atlanta deserves to be in the top 3, then bring it up and make a case. I'm willing to listen and debate it.

No Arnold went to Washington DC, to get bailout also for his state of 38 Million people, but in turn all he got was "Balance your budget yourself" from the Federal Government, whereas Wall Street got the Bailout because it influences Washington DC more than Washington DC can influence it. Out country runs on capitalism, and Washington DC knows that New York City runs Finance, and if that goes down, our country's economy is going down.

In Great Depression in 1929 happened because of New York City, Wall Street crashed and it left the worst economic chaos in American History. That is what that one industry can do to our country, the only other two niche industries that are comparable in power and influence as Energy & Federal Government.

So technically New York City is the only one to receive bailout, over 50 US States that need some method of funding, that speaks volumes of how influential New York City is.

I agree Los Angeles has 3 Main Advantages over Bay Area and those are:
- Sea Port
- Larger Economic Output/Population (Economic Output being a direct correlation to population)
- Film Industry

Media, I disagree with, they might be tied or it could actually lean towards San Francisco Bay Area now.
www.Yahoo.com
www.Google.com
www.facebook.com
www.YouTube.com
www.Twitter.com

Those being just the first to come up in my head for Media & Communication influences. Everyone E-Mails, everyone YouTubes (Majority do), everyone has access to social network sites, and everyone internet searches. Various modes of Media and their outlets, they have a more direct impact (in my opinion) to the world around us and our country than any Film Industry offering.

In my personal opinion, Los Angeles has a mere 3 things above Bay Area in general. I can list multiple countless things Bay Area has above Los Angeles if need be. It is houses some of the highest level schools in the country, tech, new media, politics, wealth generated, finance, Federal Reserve Bank, and so on and so forth.
i still say dc is more influential. they can take your hard-earned money and make you give it to somebody else. as a matter of fact, they can STEAL your money.... it doesnt get any more influential than that.

i also think LA has more of an impact than SF.
-LA has is the 18th largest economy in the world.
-the nations busiest trade center
-the manufacturing capital of america
-music & film capital of america
- more tourist than anywhere else in the country ( yes that includes NYC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City