Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yeah, I live here. Walnut Street is what everyone points to as high end, all three blocks of it...I can name a dozen cities with more than a three block stretch of high end shopping.
Where? Downtown Tampa,lol,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Yeah, I live here. Walnut Street is what everyone points to as high end, all three blocks of it...I can name a dozen cities with more than a three block stretch of high end shopping.
To be fair.....walnut st retail includes six blocks west of broad and two blocks east of broad and chestnut st is about the same plus Liberty Place although it isn't all high end and contains too many chain stores. The Gallery Mall neighborhood isn't fancy but there are plenty of places there for christmas shopping as well. Besides how many of us do our christmas shopping at Tiffany & Co?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:11 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Where? Downtown Tampa,lol,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
To be fair.....walnut st retail includes six blocks west of broad and two blocks east of broad and chestnut st is about the same plus Liberty Place although it isn't all high end and contains too many chain stores. The Gallery Mall neighborhood isn't fancy but there are plenty of places there for christmas shopping as well. Besides how many of us do our christmas shopping at Tiffany & Co?
As predicted...

Philly "perfection" (lol) is in the eye of the beholder. The point I was making is that downtown Philly is no where on par with the other cities mentioned earlier in terms of quality/variety of shopping. And as usual the same three who apparently never travel to other cities (very Philly-like) have little constructive to say.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
It extends for 6 blocks but the high-end core amounts to around three blocks, from Broad to 18th Street (which is actually four blocks, but the 15th to 16th Street stretch is virtually empty save for a few stores). Neither Liberty Place (which is half empty) or The Gallery (which qualifies as high-end ghetto) are assets to the original argument. Not many do shop at Tiffany's, but many do shop department stores other than Macy's and the very popular housewares/clothing specialty stores not present in downtown Philadelphia's "terrific shopping scene".

Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
It extends for 6 blocks but the high-end core amounts to around three blocks, from Broad to 18th Street (which is actually four blocks, but the 15th to 16th Street stretch is virtually empty save for a few stores). Neither Liberty Place (which is half empty) or The Gallery (which qualifies as high-end ghetto) are assets to the original argument. Not many do shop at Tiffany's, but many do shop department stores other than Macy's and the very popular housewares/clothing specialty stores not present in downtown Philadelphia's "terrific shopping scene".
Don't misunderstand. I don't see CC as a place for "serious" shopping. I live there but do all my shopping in the suburbs. I just don't think CC is quite as bleak as you describe. and yes I get around. San francisco/Union Sq and Chicago/miracle mile are far superior to Philly. Boston not so much except for Coply Sq neighborhood. Minniapolis downtown has less than Philly imo, never been to Seattle and Portland was a long time ago. Dallas and Houston have nothing downtown except NM in Dallas is beautiful but too expensive for me. Miami has that really scary mall (you think the gallery is bad?) and the bayside complex. LA and San Diego have almost nothing, SLC and Denver have a few choices but nothing like Philly. Toronto is great....like Chicago and Montreal is as good as Philly. Washington only has Georgetown really. What have i left out?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Don't misunderstand. I don't see CC as a place for "serious" shopping. I live there but do all my shopping in the suburbs. I just don't think CC is quite as bleak as you describe. and yes I get around. San francisco/Union Sq and Chicago/miracle mile are far superior to Philly. Boston not so much except for Coply Sq neighborhood. Minniapolis downtown has less than Philly imo, never been to Seattle and Portland was a long time ago. Dallas and Houston have nothing downtown except NM in Dallas is beautiful but too expensive for me. Miami has that really scary mall (you think the gallery is bad?) and the bayside complex. LA and San Diego have almost nothing, SLC and Denver have a few choices but nothing like Philly. Toronto is great....like Chicago and Montreal is as good as Philly. Washington only has Georgetown really. What have i left out?
Yeah, you are right. All the good stores left in the 80s and 90s.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,042 times
Seattle is not bad. I am not sure where we rank but our Downtown is one of the better ones in the country. I know we should be high on the list but just not sure how high. New York and Chicago would be fun for Christmas shopping. Portland, Oregon has a nice little downtown and the weather is also mild there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City