Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
North Carolina 35 47.95%
New York State (Redefined without NYC & LI) 26 35.62%
Both equally 6 8.22%
Neither 6 8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times

Advertisements

Okay let me be specific about the region of New York I am talking about. Basically this is a comparison between the entire state of North Carolina against New York (State) minus the counties of New York, Queens, Kings, Richmond, Bronx, Putnam, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, & Rockland Counties. Basically leaving out the counties in New York City & Surrounding Counties (Counties in New York State in New York City Metropolitan Area) of New York City from this comparison.

I'm hoping for a successful thread though.

Population:
Redefined New York State: 7,179,067
North Carolina: 9,380,884

Economic Output (GDP):
Redefined New York State: $421 Billion
North Carolina: $400 Billion

I've always personally believed that without New York City and its surrounding counties (the ones in New York State) that are in New York City's Metropolitan Area, that the state of New York is like a Northeastern version of North Carolina.

And contrary to belief, the population for the redefined New York State is a little bit less but the economic output is identical nonetheless. And the topography is identical as well, and the set up with medium sized cities and Metropolitan Areas (Charlotte/Raleigh & Buffalo/Rochester) is another common trait and the role of education.

Colleges & Universities:
- Duke University (North Carolina)
- Wake Forest University (North Carolina)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (North Carolina)
- Cornell University (Ivy league (Redefined New York State)
- University of Rochester (Redefined New York State)
- University of Buffalo (Redefined New York State)
- Among others (someone else in responding to this thread can list them)

Big Cities & Metropolitan Areas (1 Million +):
- Charlotte CSA: 2,389,763 (NC)
- Raleigh-Durham CSA: 1,742,816 (NC)
- Greensboro-Winston Salem CSA: 1,581,122 (NC)
- Buffalo CSA: 1,203,493 (NYS)
- Rochester CSA: 1,127,483 (NYS)

Smaller Cities & Metropolitan Areas:
- Albany MSA: 848,879 (NYS)
- Syracuse MSA: 651,763 (NYS)
- Poughkeepsie MSA: 667,742 (NYS)
- Asheville MSA: 408,436 (NC)
- Utica-Rome MSA: 297,885 (NYS)

North Carolina has larger populated big cities in this case with Charlotte & Raleigh areas respectively being larger than Buffalo & Rochester but New York State has more smaller Metropolitan Areas than North Carolina.

The scenery in both states can be very appealing. The topography being immensely beautiful to say the least.

Some examples of each of the given states.

New York State:

North Carolina:

Probably two of my Top 10 favorite states. Both dynamically beautiful with lots to offer as well. And I didn't even get the chance to use the Niagara Falls picture yet either. Haha.

Okay so basically remember to compare these two states with the following criteria. And PLEASE keep New York City and the counties that surround it that I listed in the beginning of this thread out of this comparison.

Criteria:
- Weather
- People
- Economy
- Scenery
- Cities (which ones do you prefer and why?)
- Food/Dining
- Education
- Safety
- Transportation
- Parks
- Anything else I may have forgotten

Let the comparison begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
- Weather- Subjective. I prefer more of a four season atmosphere that NY offers
- People- both have nice people
- Economy- appears that NY has more economic output, but easier to get a job in NC
- Scenery- both offer amazing scenery, slight edge to NY
- Location- NY, closer to places like NYC, Boston, Philly
- Cities (which ones do you prefer and why?)- NY, the bigger cities are older and have more character and are more "city like"
- Food/Dining- NC is great for southern food but NY has more of a variety when it comes to the ethnic foods I like. The older established ethnic enclaves in the NY cities put it over the edge. Many cities in NY also have signature dishes( wings, beef on weck in Buffalo, white hots, garbage plates in Rochester, speedies in Binghamton, Michigans in Plattsburgh)
- Education- Both have great colleges but it seems like the colleges in NC outrank the NY ones.
- Safety- no place that is too dangerous in either state
- Transportation- both are lacking in public transportation
- Parks- NY. I think the Adirondack park is one of the best parks in the country.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM

Criteria:
- Weather: I can do either. Love the weather in both. Beautiful.

- People: Love them both.

- Economy: Tie, they're both very healthy and both have large economic outputs. I give the slight edge to NYS for the time being for weathering the recession a bit better.

- Scenery: NYC by a little bit. These two states are very identical in this regard. But the deciding factor for me was Niagara Falls.

- Location: Both have great locations. NYS is a bit more central.

- Cities (which ones do you prefer and why?): I have always loved Buffalo. Buffalo > Charlotte > Raleigh > Rochester. So for me its a tie between the cities of both states.

- Food/Dining: Toss up. Both are great. Buffalo actually has its own style of food though, like its own hybrid style of pizza thats a cross between New York City Style & Chicago Style. But both states have an abundance of good food options.

- Education: North Carolina has the edge for sure. But its very close.

- Safety: I think they would be nearly the same

- Transportation: Charlotte & Buffalo have LRT. But both states are roughly around the same in this regard too.

- Parks: I give the edge to NYS.

- Anything else I may have forgotten:

+ Sports:
- Buffalo Bills (NYS)
- Buffalo Sabres (NYS)

- Carolina Panthers (NC)
- Charlotte Bobcats (NC)
- Carolina Hurricanes (NC)

I could probably live in either state and be very happy.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
NYS for me, better skiing and the Hudson valley though love OBX - what a great area in NC

Old 12-05-2010, 05:11 PM

215 posts, read 385,294 times
I voted for both. NYS is home to me, but NC is equally as beautiful imho. I tend to prefer 4 seasons though.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
I love the southeast section of NC the best, because it's very similar south Alabama where I have always lived. I just can't imagine living somewhere without the tall southern Longleaf pines and evergreen Live Oaks that I'm used to.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 12-05-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 05:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I love the southest section of NC the best, because it's very similar south Alabama where I have always lived. I just can't imagine living somewhere without the tall southern Longleaf pines and evergreen Live Oaks that I'm used to.
I can tell you're from the coastal plain area of Alabama, which is very similar to eastern NC, southern SC, and southern GA in terms of topography. Being from the coastal plain region of SC, I will admit that I do miss that sort of scenery myself living here in north GA. It was a very welcome site when I started seeing lots of pine trees on my way home for Thanksgiving. It wasn't until I got older and began living in the Piedmont that I realized how much of an impact the topography and scenery actually had on me while growing up. It feels strangely comforting in a way.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 12-05-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Yeah I think both states have more similarities than differences.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 PM

74 posts, read 93,388 times
^^I Would say both man. Good comparison.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Great comparison... New York is my favorite state in general, and I've been going up to Lake George and Saratoga Spring for the past few summers- It's truly a beautiful state the whole ride up there. Albany's architecture and overall vibe intrigues me (I briefly lived in Troy NY once before, it's not the greatest town, but it's location was damn near perfect as far as natural beauty goes)
The border with Canada makes it an even bigger winner. Other than NYC, Toronto is my favorite city in the world- And that ain't to far from Buffalo (which is also a great city, despite the economic hardship)

Western NC is absolutely stunning.
The people in Raleigh were some of the most welcoming people in the nation, and they love it where they live- (don't talk bad about their city, they'll get ya )
They could do a better job with their beaches. I mean I like the fact that much of it is pristine and protected, but there's got to be something exciting there- I can't think of anything (Wilmington should take advantage)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City