Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Over 100 with live music, not DJs. Not including the rest of the city here.

Just to give you a perspective, there are 53 live music venues in Tribeca neighborhood alone.
Everyone knows New York is huge thus having a lot of everything. The only problem I see is I'm talking about packed to over capacity in venues where people aren't sitting at all for 4 hours. This is not an intimate 50 person crowd lol. People aren't sitting around tables with candles. Every single show is packed with over 1,000+ people dancing wall to wall. Use youtube.com, it will show you all you need to know. By the way, D.C. has many jazz clubs as well as multiple other forms of music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Here are all the clubs/venues in and around D.C. that host bands on any given night 7 days a week for every age group. Some shows are even all ages welcome and others are 21 and over. Many GoGo bands perform at pools a few times during the summer. If a city can match this, I would like to see the facts:

BestWesternLanham ( a best western hotel)Lanham Hotel | Best Western Capital Beltway | Lanham, Maryland
BethesdaComedyClub ( a comedy club) Bethesda Comedy Club - Bethesda, MD
Billions
BistroBistro ( a french restaurant Bistro Bistro | French Restaurant | Dupont Circle, Washington DC 20009 )

ClubG
CommunityOfHope
CornerPocket A Bar and Grill Corner Pocket Bar & Grill - Beltsville | Urbanspoon

LaFontaineBleue a catering company. Maryland Washington DC VA Wedding Reception Chapel Banquet & Event Caterers:La Fontaine Bleue

OxonHillHighSchool a high school Oxon Hill High School - home
SheratonNational a hotel. Arlington Hotels | Sheraton National Hotel

SilverSpringBranchBoysGirlsClub the boys and girls club of Silver Spring bgcgw

TuckerRoadSwimmingPool the tucker road community center (by the swimming pool) Tucker Road Community Center
are you serious man? You are being pretty liberal in your "venues" haha... credibility going down hill big time. I got tired of referencing them...there are many more bogus venues. Have you ever left the DC Metro and seen what else the U.S. has to offer..

Uhh yeah, I'd say other cities can match that LMAO.

Hold up while I get the list of Chicago Boys and Girls Club, the senior center, a few high schools, local swimming pools and suburban hotels out by the airport.

Quote:
Everyone knows New York is huge thus having a lot of everything. The only problem I see is I'm talking about packed to over capacity in venues where people aren't sitting at all for 4 hours. This is not an intimate 50 person crowd lol. People aren't sitting around tables with candles. Every single show is packed with over 1,000+ people dancing wall to wall. Use youtube.com, it will show you all you need to know. By the way, D.C. has many jazz clubs as well as multiple other forms of music.
Yeah man that Best Western is freaking over capacity!!! Better hurry up there is a buffet full of all the biscuits you can eat, free with 5 dollar admission. Line out the door!

Also better wait before the Girls Tennis team clears out at that high school before your band drops!

Quote:
Use youtube.com, it will show you all you need to know. .

*shudder* Houston, I think we have found the problem. Basing things off youtube voyeurism!

Last edited by grapico; 12-08-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
They really don't have a clue. I will never forget when Method Man the rapper came on the radio in D.C. and said "Everyone knows about D.C., if it's not GoGo it's got to go!" But artists have learned that the best way to gain popularity in D.C. is to play live shows with the bands. The list of rappers that do live shows with GoGo bands in D.C. is a long one.
What is really annoying is that you guys are talking about how "no one has a clue about DC"...but at the same time you're totally unwilling to consider cities like New York may have a better live scene than yours.

You questioned whether Brooklyn has 400 different live options on any given night...do you realize there are about 2,500,000 people in Brooklyn? Roughly 50% of your entire metro population lives in an area of 70 square miles. Chances are they have a good amount of venues. Also take into account that Brooklyn is widely known for a large artist/musician population.

I'm not saying DC doesn't have a good scene. But while you DCers are annoyed people don't "get DC", the rest of us are annoyed you're unwilling to consider anyone else.

P.S. it should also be noted that while you're listing community pools, BBQ buffets, and Best Westerns as "club & concert venues" you question the validity of bars & clubs in BK by saying they're probably just spinning CDs. I'm sure some of those places are just CD-spinning DJs, but 40% of your places are serving continental breakfasts and swimming lessons for elementary school kids...as Grapico said, your credibility is dropping fast.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-08-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So basically you are saying either a) GoGo is D.C.'s only music scene, so other cities aren't allowed to have multiple scene.

or b) Which city has the better GoGo scene...

BTW DC has/had other music scenes thankfully.

so maybe you should reframe your question...

"Does any other city have a single genre live music scene, as big as D.C.'s GoGo scene"
This is it right here. This is something OP has not addressed. No one's arguing that GoGo is bigger in KC or Edmonton. However, the title of the thread is "Can any U.S. city match D.C. for live music?", and the answer is YES.

This thread doesn't make any sense.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Its New York mate, don't really have to worry about not getting crowds of people here.

About jazz clubs, I heard somewhere that NYC has more jazz clubs than Texas + California combined. I think Louisiana is the only state in America that has an equivalent jazz scene. Chicago might be pretty good there too.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
are you serious man? You are being pretty liberal in your "venues" haha... credibility going down hill big time. I got tired of referencing them...there are many more bogus venues. Have you ever left the DC Metro and seen what else the U.S. has to offer..

Uhh yeah, I'd say other cities can match that LMAO.

Hold up while I get the list of Chicago Boys and Girls Club, the senior center, a few high schools, local swimming pools and suburban hotels out by the airport.
Don't forget to include any nearby Tee-Ball fields and the actual airports themselves because I hear that's how they get down in Chicago. Others just don't understand how it is out there.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Its New York mate, don't really have to worry about not getting crowds of people here.

About jazz clubs, I heard somewhere that NYC has more jazz clubs than Texas + California combined. I think Louisiana is the only state in America that has an equivalent jazz scene. Chicago might be pretty good there too.
Yes Chicago and New Orleans have the other two major jazz festivals in the U.S. outside of NYC... The other BIG one in North America is Montreal... I know Boston is trying to get one going also that is getting bigger. SF has a good one too, but again not as big, long running, prominent. The best are New Orleans and Montreux, have been to both.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,272 times
you even listed places in Baltimore, completely different scene.

Also Go-Go is not nearly as ubiquitous in DC as you make it sound. Its big in parts of the black community, but in NW DC and most of the suburbs its pretty rare. I lived in DC for 30 years, went to hundreds of concerts in town and saw go-go maybe once or twice.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Threads like this make my head hurt.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
All white crowd in Bangor Maine knows how to party to GoGo! Get it get it.....!!! I love to see people in other areas have fun to GoGo. Let loose on em....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHpHLsM_Au8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City