Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Dallas and Houston aren't growing in TOD really because they don't really have a system to do so. The inner suburbs which is mainly what I'm talking about for D.C. (seeing as how D.C. is already one of the most urban cities in the nation and can't grow any other way) are growing through major TOD development only. How can Dallas and Houston grow that way without rail transit in the suburbs?
I know this isn't about Dallas or Houston but they absolutely do have LRT that extends out to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm just saying that outside of those corridors the vast majority of the area (outside of DC) is car-dependent.
Bethesda, North Bethesda, Twinbrooke, Rockville, and Gaithersburg are developing to be just like that corridor. Tyson's Corner, Reston, Herndon are also developing to be like that corridor. Langley Park, College Park, New Carrolton, River Dale etc. will also develop like those corridors.

The NYC metro area is also very car dependent like every metro area in the this country. The point I am focusing on which none of you seem to be focusing on is the urban corridors that are developing around D.C.'s suburbs which also without an urban system like Metro with premium 3-5 minute frequency in the suburbs that stretches far from the city is not feasible anywhere else.

You all seem to have this notion you have imagined in your head where I have said 200 metro legs will radiate out of D.C. as all suburban subdivisions in the area are turned to urban living. What are you talking about? Whoever said the majority wasn't car dependent? Aren't I the one who posted the population share numbers. Don't you think since I posted the 10% ridership share in D.C. probably means I know more than any of you about ridership share and how many people use transit of the total population? I'm the one who posted the numbers to begin with.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Pics!!!

Georgetown

http://www.georgetowner.com/media/im...e_by_Night.jpg

C&O Canal

http://images.travelpod.com/users/ti...-c-o-canal.jpg

Tidal Basin (best place to take a date)

Eastern Market

http://media1.hellowashingtondc.com/...age1_large.jpg

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Dallas and Houston aren't growing in TOD really because they don't really have a system to do so. The inner suburbs which is mainly what I'm talking about for D.C. (seeing as how D.C. is already one of the most urban cities in the nation and can't grow any other way) are growing through major TOD development only. How can Dallas and Houston grow that way without rail transit in the suburbs?
Agree their transit is awful but almost all current develop in their cores is also multi unit dwellings. They just drive for the most part. Their long term planning is more problematic but in their core the develop styling is quite comparable on many levels sans PT

Also DC has both TOD and non TOD in the burbs, you cant deny that. If you say only core areas they too are multi unit

In their burbs they are a combination like DC just way more haphazzard. DC is building high density in the TOD corriders and tract housing in non tod burbs. Houston is more ahadgepodge of both with more highways. I prefer the DC model far more personally but DC may have as much single units as Houston going up up quite honestly

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I know this isn't about Dallas or Houston but they absolutely do have LRT that extends out to the suburbs.
Are you really trying to compare the TOD we have in D.C. and the TOD we are building in D.C. to the TOD Houston and Dallas have and what they are building in their region? Come on man...you can't be serious..... Developers don't even build the same type of development with light rail as they build with heavy rail to begin with. This is apples and oranges.

Take a look at the specifics for Mid Pike Plaza that breaks ground this spring posted today which is only one of five different sectors with a different developer for each that is being built at the White Flint Metro station on the Red Metro Line

http://dcmud.blogspot.com/

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Are you really trying to compare what we have and what we are building in D.C. to what Houston and Dallas have and what they are building? Come on man...you can't be serious.....
When did I say that they are comparable?

Quote:
How can Dallas and Houston grow that way without rail transit in the suburbs?
Just answering that question. Obviously it is much worse than DC (and much worse than LA for that matter).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree their transit is awful but almost all current develop in their cores is also multi unit dwellings. They just drive for the most part. Their long term planning is more problematic but in their core the develop styling is quite comparable on many levels sans PT

Also DC has both TOD and non TOD in the burbs, you cant deny that. If you say only core areas they too are multi unit

In their burbs they are a combination like DC just way more haphazzard. DC is building high density in the TOD corriders and tract housing in non tod burbs. Houston is more ahadgepodge of both with more highways. I prefer the DC model far more personally but DC may have as much single units as Houston going up up quite honestly
Why are you talking about the core city? I have been talking about the suburbs the entire time. Once again, what are you talking about? I assume you guys were talking about what I had said since you guys quoted my posts. Problem is, I was never talking about the core. The suburb Metro legs are what is differentiating D.C. from everywhere else. Also, where is this major housing building you keep referring too in the inner core suburbs in D.C.? How many units of single family housing are being built total?

I have always and ONLY been talking about Metro rail TOD housing and as I expected, you didn't reply to my posts about you being completely off topic and rambling on and on about a topic and conversation I never had with you. You were having it with yourself.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Why are you talking about the core city? I have been talking about the suburbs the entire time. Once again, what are you talking about? I assume you guys were talking about what I had said since you guys quoted my posts. Problem is, I was never talking about the core. The suburb Metro legs are what is differentiating D.C. from everywhere else. Also, where is this major housing building you keep referring too in the inner core suburbs in D.C.? How many units of single family housing are being built total?

I have always and ONLY been talking about Metro rail TOD housing and as I expected, you didn't reply to my posts about you being completely off topic and rambling on and on about a topic and conversation I never had with you. You were having it with yourself.
I think he is saying DC is far from special in this regard. Most large urban areas are only building TOD or at least multi-family housing within the city and in the inner suburbs.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

Again read back I am talking about the metro area not the core

The burbs on the whole are single family with multi unit along the TODs which is always and always has been my point

What I diagree with is your continued statements and proclomation that this TOD development is all that taking place in DC as a mtro, just not even remotely the case.

In terms of comparative other city dense cores, the styiling is basically the same. DC has planned nbetter corriders driven by jobs (not people) and these jobs are driven by the govt. But yes very well planned along the Metro (have always agreed) but again you act like multi unit, even TOD developemnt is unique to DC, it isnt, more planned yes (wont go down the raod of will it all be built)

When you say is one giant TOD development and that all growth is coming in these areas it just is flat out untrue and my points continually.

Arlinton added 18K in a decade; a good number but the sprawled burbs added probably 6 or 7 seven people to every one in these corriders

Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Again read back I am talking about the metro area not the core

The burbs on the whole are single family with multi unit along the TODs which is always and always has been my point

What I diagree with is your continued statements and proclomation that this TOD development is all that taking place in DC as a mtro, just not even remotely the case.

In terms of comparative other city dense cores, the styiling is basically the same. DC has planned nbetter corriders driven by jobs (not people) and these jobs are driven by the govt. But yes very well planned along the Metro (have always agreed) but again you act like multi unit, even TOD developemnt is unique to DC, it isnt, more planned yes (wont go down the raod of will it all be built)

When you say is one giant TOD development and that all growth is coming in these areas it just is flat out untrue and my points continually.

Arlinton added 18K in a decade; a good number but the sprawled burbs added probably 6 or 7 seven people to every one in these corriders
-Arlington County has 26 total miles.
-Loudon County has 526 total miles.

And you are wondering why Arlington only grew by 18,000?

I'm still waiting on the single family subdivision home construction in the inner core which you conviently left out.

I"M GOING TO SAY THIS FOR THE LAST TIME!

You were talking about what is already built in D.C. Why were you talking about it since I was not and really don't care? Also, why do you keep talking about growth in Loudon county and points outward? I don't care if they add 5 million people. What does that have to do with the inner core funneling their growth into urban corridors on transit lines like Arlington did with their 18,000? Montgomery, Fairfax, Arlington Alexandria plan to do the same thing. What will that do? Exactly what I have been talking about all day! Creating a more urban premium transit living experience in the suburbs that will not be able to be duplicated anywhere else. Of-course, that is unless you plan to build subways with 3-5 minute premium peak service in the suburbs surrounding your cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City