Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah it does look like a freeway for about 20 miles then it starts looking like highway, then it looks like a regular street again then a highway in areas where it says it is a highway

mile 10:

mile 12:
Once again, those are sections that are merely 4 lane streets. The first photo is of Sepulveda Blvd going under the 405 freeway in the Pass. The second is of a tunnel thru the Santa Monica mountains. You evidently don't know the kind of conditions mountains create for boulevards going thru semi-open\ residential [large lots] areas. Anyone in California would laugh at Sepulveda being referred to as a highway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I know some here despise Wiki, but they have a great overview here:

Ventura Boulevard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Maps
it is hard to follow because of the parts near the highway. the parts away from the highway looks like a regular street

Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Once again, those are sections that are merely 4 lane streets. The first photo is of Sepulveda Blvd going under the 405 freeway in the Pass. The second is of a tunnel thru the Santa Monica mountains. You evidently don't know the kind of conditions mountains create for boulevards going thru semi-open\ residential [large lots] areas. Anyone in California would laugh at Sepulveda being referred to as a highway!
they may laugh at it being a highway, but it is designated as a state road and it looks like one in some parts which makes it unfair to give it credit for its entire length because it is a state road and it looks like a state road

I am not going into special conditions for mountains. it either has to be a city road or darn near looks like one.

It is even maintained by caltran for the state road parts

Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
they may laugh at it being a highway, but it is designated as a state road and it looks like one in some parts which makes it unfair to give it credit for its entire length because it is a state road and it looks like a state road

I am not going into special conditions for mountains. it either has to be a city road or darn near looks like one.

It is even maintained by caltran for the state road parts
I think you have difficulty envisioning a street that goes over a mountain range that is within a large city.

Sepulveda is not restricted to just the city of Los Angeles. From the San Fernando valley [which is within the city limits] it winds over the mountains between LA and Santa Monica, enters Culver City, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, goes between Torrance and Rancho Palos Verdes, Lomita and eventually into Long Beach [all separate municipalities]. The state of California has jurisdiction over sections of streets that merge with state roads like Pacific Coast Highway. Since PCH is one and the same with Sepulveda Blvd in a few places does that mean it is not a real highway along the coast of Malibu or Big Sur in central California?

Sepulveda is the longest "street" in metro Los Angeles whether you agree or not!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I think you have difficulty envisioning a street that goes over a mountain range that is within a large city.

Sepulveda is not restricted to just the city of Los Angeles. From the San Fernando valley [which is within the city limits] it winds over the mountains between LA and Santa Monica, enters Culver City, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, goes between Torrance and Rancho Palos Verdes, Lomita and eventually into Long Beach [all separate municipalities]. The state of California has jurisdiction over sections of streets that merge with state roads like Pacific Coast Highway. Since PCH is one and the same with Sepulveda Blvd in a few places does that mean it is not a real highway along the coast of Malibu or Big Sur in central California?

Sepulveda is the longest "street" in metro Los Angeles whether you agree or not!
don't care where it goes, it is a state road

Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
don't care where it goes, it is a state road
Stick with Texas, something I hope you have more knowledge than California [which you know nothing of]. And who gave you the authority to decide anything anyway? Oh, I know, "it's my thread and I can do what I want"

Old 12-10-2010, 02:04 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Almost every major street in every city is going to have some sort of state or federal highway designation, a holdover from the days before interstates. So I'm not sure you can exclude these streets. Michigan Avenue in Chicago is US 41 .... as is Northside Drive in Atlanta and Dixie Highway in Miami.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
U.S.1 is the main city street through the entire South Florida cooridor and as such meets all of your criteria for most of it. Here is a map showing the segment that I'm referring to - it is 101 miles.
12846 U.S. 1, Juno Beach, FL 33408 to Able Body Temporary Services - Google Maps

Hopefully the link works if not enter in directions from:
12846 U.S. 1, Juno Beach, FL 33408 to 20920 South Dixie Highway, Miami, FL 33189-2220

Not once does it resemble a rural road in the segment I've pointed out. It is the main city road and created downtown West Palm, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, downtown Miami, Sunset Place, Coconut Grove, South Miami.

17-92 is the main North-South city road in Orlando metro. Top of Sanford at Lake Monroe all the way down to Gateway Airport in Kissimmee it acts as city road and doesn't resemble a State Road at all. miami - Google Maps

If link doesn't work enter Sanford, FL to Kissimmee, Florida 34741 (Airport: Kissimmee Gateway)

Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
What are you looking at?
Western is the longest street within city limits in the world.

How could it possibly be under 20 when the city isn't even that short?

Cicero doesn't turn to 50 out of 94?

Cicero has the 50 sign all through the city.
But it isn't a highway.
It's so random streets like Western and Cicero are "highways" as opposed to all the other surface streets in Chicago. It seems like they just gave the numbers to main roads that go through the city, because it's not like there's anything special about them, or they go huge distances across the state. There's a lot of random "highways" in Chicago.

I'm sure 99% of people would never know that Western and Cicero, North, etc. are highways as opposed to similar roads like Ashland or Pulaski.

I guess you can just look at roads that run next to Cicero or Western since everything is grid in Chicago.

Pulaski is 46 miles from the near north suburbs to the near south suburbs. The road actually continues south of there, but that's where (ironically) Cicero dead ends against it - and it then gains the "highway 50" marker.

It's 46 miles of dense urban driving without any highway status though. Just a random city street.

Ashland could have been another one, from the north side of the city down to the south, but it dead ends before even reaching the south suburbs - so it ends up being only 25 miles long.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-10-2010 at 06:42 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Stick with Texas, something I hope you have more knowledge than California [which you know nothing of]. And who gave you the authority to decide anything anyway? Oh, I know, "it's my thread and I can do what I want"
you don't have to act like such a sore loser. your street is not all city controlled accept it, don't act so immature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City