Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban overall:
Vancouver, Seattle, Portland (PNW) 35 43.21%
Detroit, Milwaukee, Twin Cities (upper midwest) 46 56.79%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times

Advertisements

Which cities do you think are more urban overall?

Which are more centered around urban downtowns? How lively are those downtowns? Which have better public transportation? Street level vibrancy? Big city "feel"? Most compact metros? Etc...

And which do you prefer in the end?

P.S. for the purposes of this thread, Chicago is not being included in the "upper midwest" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
It is a tie between the two imo

Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
I think PNW is more urban but I'd rather live in MW

Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I included Chicago anyway.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Upper Midwest, definitely (but Detroit doesn't really count). Vancouver, Washington isn't urban at all -- it's like a suburb of Portland. Even Portland can't compare to Minneapolis or St. Paul. Milwaukee seems really urban for a city its size. Detroit is definitely "urban" and gritty, but not really Upper Midwestern. The only thing the PNW has to compare is Seattle.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Upper Midwest, definitely (but Detroit doesn't really count). Vancouver, Washington isn't urban at all -- it's like a suburb of Portland. Even Portland can't compare to Minneapolis or St. Paul. Milwaukee seems really urban for a city its size. Detroit is definitely "urban" and gritty, but not really Upper Midwestern. The only thing the PNW has to compare is Seattle.
I disagree. And anyone who has taken an Urban Planning class in college knows this because although compact cities aren't everything but Portland is regarded to as THE model city for urban planning. Almost mass sprawl resistant entirely actually.

It shares traits of the Midwestern cities, New England cities, & Sunbelt cities all rolled into one. It's the only city in the country to do that so far in large city developments. And people overlook it but its actually quite urban, walkable, and it has an effective transit system for its size.

Why shouldn't Detroit count? It's the largest urban area between both regions. Yes much of the city is decayed but that doesn't stop its affluent suburbs that do see a lot of action from withering away. Detroit is being underestimated here, if it were to revitalize its city proper more it would definitely lead the pack for both of these regions easily. Downtown Detroit is seeing improvements, which is a good sign.

Seattle is the leader for the Pacific Northwest, and its the largest urban center there but we're also underestimating Vancouver here which is an EXTREMELY compact and walkable city, very good level of development and lots of affluent areas. It would probably equal out with Minneapolis here.

I say both regions are a draw actually, both have some advantages, because urbanity is more than one basic element, giving lots of set criteria that go in favor of either region. It's hard to tell.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Detroit isn't geographically in the Upper Midwest. I've always though of the Upper Midwest as being MN, WI, ND, SD and the UP.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Personally, I think Portland's lack of sprawl takes away from the city / metro area. Of course, I like suburban growth ("sprawl") and think it adds a great deal to a community. If Portland allowed sprawl it would have a larger footprint. Cities like Minneapolis, St. Paul and Atlanta are important largely because of their suburban rings.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Detroit isn't geographically in the Upper Midwest. I've always though of the Upper Midwest as being MN, WI, ND, SD and the UP.
Yeah, Detroit makes up the Great Lakes Region I believe but Minneapolis gets left out then. I guess the original poster just meant to say compare these given cities. It's okay, I knew what he meant by the comparison, and I do agree with the following criteria too.
Quote:
Which Vancouver are you talking about? I know Vancouver, Washington in no way compares to Minneapolis. Vancouver, British Columbia does, but it's in Canada so it doesn't count.
Nahh, no one cares about Vancouver, WA (sarcasm of course) more than Vancouver, Canada enough to include it in this comparison per say. There is one true Vancouver, and its in Canada. I am almost entirely positive the original poster meant Vancouver, Canada, but we'll have to wait until he logs back on to find out for sure. But I am 110% certain he meant the one in Canada for this comparison. It's the northern Nexis of this region, country borders don't really matter in this comparison as they rarely do on City-Data either ways with Canada.
Quote:
Personally, I think Portland's lack of sprawl takes away from the city / metro area. Of course, I like suburban growth ("sprawl") and think it adds a great deal to a community. If Portland allowed sprawl it would have a larger footprint. Cities like Minneapolis, St. Paul and Atlanta are important largely because of their suburban rings.
Yeah, but the same can be said for Boston. Which has a stronger urban core than Atlanta. Boston is very minimized sprawl in terms of proximate area, and Portland is derived from that concept quite nicely but enhanced more so on its own implementations.

I am no fan of density, I think hyper density sucks, despite living in Chicago, I was never accustomed to the rat race lifestyle that derived from it. But it does have its advantages here in this case for urbanity overall.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
Doesn't count in what sense? He basically asked which geographical area's more urban. I don't think he means Van WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City