Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Not a denier. Most people do not view NC as the "Deep South". It may not fit your agenda, but its the truth. Most people associate the states highlighted below as the Deep South. North Carolina is not one of them.

File:Map of USA highlighting Deep South.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fileeep South.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually you are finding things to fit your agenda. I don't have one, you are the one who lives there, hence would have the higher motive for an agenda to somehow say it wasn't.
Where did I say NC was the deep south? Actually I said quite the opposite and said the entire state of NC is not the deep south. Read carefully.
You don't just cross the border of SC, which Charlotte shares it's metro with and automatically stop being in the Deep South.
The deep south is not defined by strict state borders, it overlaps the borders of those states. Did I ever say Charlotte is in the MIDDLE of the deep south? No, I didn't. I said it is part of the deep south, which it is, it lays right on the edge and shares the same history as cities like Atlanta, Columbia, and Birmingham. It was a quintessential city of the freedom rides through the Deep South as well. I could go on and on why, you finding a few arbitrary maps doesn't move where Charlotte is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That definition is the one I typically use to define the Deep South (although I would extend it upward to VA) and because Charlotte is in the Piedmont, I'd say at the least that it's not part of the core of the Deep South. I suppose you could think of it along a gradient, with the coastal plain areas constituting the heart of the region with the Piedmont on the edge of it. I pretty much think of the region as where most of the slaves were concentrated which was mostly along the Atlantic and Gulf coastal plains.
No it is definitely not on the core, nor is it smack in the middle. I'm not saying it is Montgomery, AL. Charlotte is definitely a part of the Deep South though, even if it's on the edge of it. Just like North Florida or Memphis...
Here is a description of Memphis... Charlotte is the exact same way (important part of NC, but history, arts, cuisine...you get the picture)
"Although it is an important part of the culture of Tennessee, the history, arts, and cuisine of Memphis are more closely associated with the culture of the Deep South."
Also, it has religious ties and was the forefront of evangelicals... this guy named Billy Graham you know, there is a library and major highway named after him in Charlotte...
http://www2.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives.../charlotte.htm
This is at the current Bojangles Chicken and Biscuits Coliseum. Same place...different history.
Should we look at the deep south freedom ride in Charlotte also? Or a multitude of other pinnacles of Deep South history?

Charlotte is Deep South.

Last edited by grapico; 01-09-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
In my opinion, Charlotte is definitely part of the Deep South, as is Western North Carolina. Any non-Deep South parts would be in the area of the Research Triangle...at least from my personal experience and opinion. You can get from Charlotte to Greenville/Spartanburg in about 45 minutes. GSP is definitely the Deep South.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
In my opinion, Charlotte is definitely part of the Deep South, as is Western North Carolina. Any non-Deep South parts would be in the area of the Research Triangle...at least from my personal experience and opinion. You can get from Charlotte to Greenville/Spartanburg in about 45 minutes. GSP is definitely the Deep South.
Western North Carolina? Asheville? That is NOT the Deep South. That's Appalachian South.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't see how topography goes to San Antonio. It's essentially the hillyness of the Piedmont without the nice trees.
I like the hilly rugged, semi-brown Texas slopes in west SA and the beautiful hills in north SA. Their Marriott resort atop those hills makes remarkable differences IMO.

Charlotte while having access to great topography comes across boring but pretty nonetheless IMO

Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Western North Carolina? Asheville? That is NOT the Deep South. That's Appalachian South.
Culturally it feels the same to me. My roommate was from the area and he was about as Deep South as it gets. Probably one of the nicest people I've ever met too.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Culturally it feels the same to me. My roommate was from the area and he was about as Deep South as it gets. Probably one of the nicest people I've ever met too.
It's important to point out that the term is more about regional affiliation than it is cultural. The fact is, Western NC has never been considered part of the Lower/Deep South. That part of the state is far too mountain southern to be classified the same as Louisiana or Mississippi.

Your roommate may have been very country with a strong accent or whatever, but he's not from the Deep South.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No it is definitely not on the core, nor is it smack in the middle. I'm not saying it is Montgomery, AL. Charlotte is definitely a part of the Deep South though, even if it's on the edge of it. Just like North Florida or Memphis...
Here is a description of Memphis... Charlotte is the exact same way (important part of NC, but history, arts, cuisine...you get the picture)
"Although it is an important part of the culture of Tennessee, the history, arts, and cuisine of Memphis are more closely associated with the culture of the Deep South."
Also, it has religious ties and was the forefront of evangelicals... this guy named Billy Graham you know, there is a library and major highway named after him in Charlotte...
The Coliseum Sermons From Billy Graham's 1958 Charlotte Evangelistic Meetings
This is at the current Bojangles Chicken and Biscuits Coliseum. Same place...different history.
Should we look at the deep south freedom ride in Charlotte also? Or a multitude of other pinnacles of Deep South history?

Charlotte is Deep South.
Although I think the things you're citing aren't necessarily Deep South traits but rather general Southern traits, I see where you're coming from. I don't consider Charlotte to be in the Deep South, but it's geographically close to it and definitely has Deep South influences. I don't think it's quite the same as Memphis though, which is for all intents and purposes the co-capital of the Mississippi Delta region (along with NOLA) which is pretty much as Deep South as Deep South can get.

I think the top three characteristics of the true Deep South are based on topography (coastal plain), demography (higher numbers of rural Blacks), and economy (historically agrarian-based, specifically cotton, tobacco, and rice).

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
It's important to point out that the term is more about regional affiliation than it is cultural. The fact is, Western NC has never been considered part of the Lower/Deep South. That part of the state is far too mountain southern to be classified the same as Louisiana or Mississippi.

Your roommate may have been very country with a strong accent or whatever, but he's not from the Deep South.
Yea true...I guess I'm just focusing on the culture. Either way, I'd still label Charlotte as the Deep South. It's 15-20 minutes from South Carolina and about 45 from Greenville-Spartanburg. There's no shift in culture or topography (since that appears to matter) from one place for the next.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although I think the things you're citing aren't necessarily Deep South traits but rather general Southern traits, I see where you're coming from. I don't consider Charlotte to be in the Deep South, but it's geographically close to it and definitely has Deep South influences. I don't think it's quite the same as Memphis though, which is for all intents and purposes the co-capital of the Mississippi Delta region (along with NOLA) which is pretty much as Deep South as Deep South can get.

I think the top three characteristics of the true Deep South are based on topography (coastal plain), demography (higher numbers of rural Blacks), and economy (historically agrarian-based, specifically cotton, tobacco, and rice).
But I guess we're going to have to decide whether or not there can be some differences in the Deep South...because you mentioned Memphis' presence in the Mississippi Delta region. However that part of the Deep South is certainly different than the Eastern part. While Memphis has the Deep South Mississippi River influence, Charlotte has massive influences from places like South Carolina. It has the NASCAR Hall of Fame for god's sake!

It's also worth noting that places like North Georgia bears a lot of similar traits to Western NC, which was claimed as not being "Deep South"...so would we say that North Georgia isn't part of the region either? If so, then it would make a lot of sense that parts of states can be both absorbed and left out of this region. While Memphis seems to belong, Charlotte absolutely does too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City