Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM

68 posts, read 187,820 times

Advertisements

I am being laid off from my job at the first of the year and would like to move to either of these cities. Just not sure which one would be the best choice.

First, which city has the best job market? My experience and degree are part of a pretty strong industry (Finance, Accounting, Admin.), but I'm not sure which city would be the best to look for these types of jobs. I would hope to land a decent job within a month or two. I have made contacts in both cities.

Also, which city has the best overall quality of life? I know both have a decent amount of culture, and both are unique, but which one would be a more enjoyable place to be? I know Chi is way bigger, but does Austin make up for this with its fairly new appeal?

I also have no idea what neighborhoods would be the best in Austin. I know Chicago's fairly well.

About me: 25/M/Single. I know both of these cities are probably a safe bet, but I'm just trying to get some decent opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Give Austin a try ... something "different" for you. I've been there several times, it's
a lovely city that rests amid the beauty of the Texas hill country ... best of luck to you

Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
Where do you live now? If it's a big city, you may find that you can't live without the big city amenities that Austin just doesn't have. Things like pro sports, big museums, big hub airport, etc.

However, if you are used to something smaller, and like the outdoors and warm weather, then you'd probably be fine in Austin. It's growing and doing well, so it will continue to get more stuff and that's kind of fun to watch. Just keep in mind that as the 4th largest city in Texas, it's never going to become "the" regional powerhouse that a Dallas, Houston or Chicago would be. It'll be more like the Portland on the west coast -- not going to be LA, SF or Seattle, but desirable in a different way.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Where do you live now? If it's a big city, you may find that you can't live without the big city amenities that Austin just doesn't have. Things like pro sports, big museums, big hub airport, etc.

However, if you are used to something smaller, and like the outdoors and warm weather, then you'd probably be fine in Austin. It's growing and doing well, so it will continue to get more stuff and that's kind of fun to watch. Just keep in mind that as the 4th largest city in Texas, it's never going to be come "the" regional powerhouse that Dallas, Houston or Chicago would be. It'll be more like the Portland on the west coast -- not going to be LA, SF or Seattle, but desirable in a different way.
As somebody who likes to travel often, that one is a deal breaker. Your options will be more limited, and more expensive. Austin is cheap, but you will most likely NEED to have a car to avoid being a social pariah there, not the case in Chicago. Depending on your lifestyle and living accomodations... Chicago *could* be cheaper for you.
i.e. if you want a 3 br house in Austin well, that is most likely going to be cheaper. If you wanted to do a studio or share a room in Chicago and not have a car...that could actually be cheaper than similar options in Austin.
If you find yourself needing to say go to Dallas or Houston for some things Austin can't have such as pro sports/museums etc...
well there you go.

Both cool cities though, or so I hear, I don't know that much about Austin.

Like atxcio says, it is what you prefer.

For stuff I like to do, Chicago would be cheaper for me b/c I'd end up having to get a car/gas/insurance there, probably a bigger place than I need, going to Dallas or Houston for amenities I want (several games/museums maybe even restaurants in Houston/Dallas), paying higher airfare to cities I want to go to, etc. I.E. I can fly out to NY/Toronto/Boston or even London/Dublin (all planned trips in the next year) much cheaper than from Austin.

I know some others that prefer what Austin can give though. I'm sure somebody could argue the benefits of Austin too, slower pace, younger crowd, better weather I am assuming.

I think if you compared Houston/Dallas to Chicago it might be more interesting but Austin and Chicago are just too different types of cities and cater to different things in general.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:16 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,271 times
I've heard that Chicago's economy is among the worst in the nation but as we all know, it sucks everywhere when trying to find work. If it were me, I would pick whichever city I would want to live in more and make it work, especially if you don't have anything tying you down. You only live once so go for whatever will make you more happy!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I've heard that Chicago's economy is among the worst in the nation but as we all know, it sucks everywhere when trying to find work. If it were me, I would pick whichever city I would want to live in more and make it work, especially if you don't have anything tying you down. You only live once so go for whatever will make you more happy!
I wouldn't say it is one of THE worst. Lower employment than Atlanta/GA for instance. It certainly isn't say DC though or a statewide like NE.
In anything have to thing about long term growth and where they want to be, whether that is Austin or Chicago for them, not sure.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
As somebody who likes to travel often, that one is a deal breaker. Your options will be more limited, and more expensive.
I fly a lot, and flights often tend to be cheaper from the Austin airport vs. the hubs. Even though there is an extra leg and more fuel involved, the airlines charge a premium for nonstop and hub airports usually have somewhat of a carrier monopoly (and ticket prices are higher accordingly). So in real life, I can fly cheaper from AUS-DFW-ORD than I could if I lived in DFW and wanted to fly DFW-ORD.

But I agree if you travel a lot, you'll want the direct options a hub airport offers even if they are more expensive.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM

68 posts, read 187,820 times
Thanks for all of the input! I actually live downtown KCMO now. After doing some thinking and some decent research, i think Chicago is going to be the best choice. Finding a job in my industry is probably going to be easier, and I can live on just about the same budget as i do in KCMO (plan on getting a studio with no car). Even though its super cold right now, i think Chicago is a great city and has a lot to offer someone in my shoes (More than KC anyway). I'm sure Austin is awesome to live in, but I'm looking for more of the big city amenities that Chicago will offer. Again, thanks for the advice!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,006 times
Yeah Austin is sort of the city for people who hate city life...total overgrown college town with nice surroundings/people/economy/quirky vibe/cool little skyline. There's a lot to do if you're not looking for mega-city style entertainment and culture, but if you want to live in a true metropolis...then Austin ain't it. It's still an amazing place though that you should check out.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,042 times
Both are great cities. However, Chicago blows Austin out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City