Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
"Dead" Youngstown:

Wow! I have never seen pictures like those of Youngstown. Really nice. Love the homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:15 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
This is sort of a funny thread. People trying to boost their declining cities.

Reality is these places are either declining or stagnant. Dying or dead are probably too strong a term, but the boosting of ****-towns is pathetic yet entertaining. However, some of the ones on at at least one "dying cities" list, the one from Forbes, are actually more alive than one would except.

Two I recently visited, Buffalo and Scranton, are more interesting and lively vs dead and dying.

Scranton, espcially, since there are almost no dead or vacant neighborhoods...the kind of places one sees in Detroit with the urban prairies and vacant board-ups. The city is suprisingly intact.

Buffalo has those vacancies and abandonments, but Buffalo is also apparently actually rebuilding parts of the city with brand-new housing (the neighborhoods direclty east of downtown). The neatest thing about Buffalo is that the old residential neighborhoods to the north of downtown run direclty into the downtown area, without an intervening belt of urban-renewal no-mans-land. One can be on tree lined residential streets within just three or four blocks of the downtown.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I see a handful of people in those pics. How does that prove Youngstown is thriving and vibrant?
I didn't post those pictures to prove Youngstown is a "thriving and vibrant" city. (though it is vibrant in its own way, though certainly not thriving) I posted them to show that it is not dead, and is still a nice place, if only one chooses to see it that way.

How many cities of 72,000 really have a bustling downtown these days, anyway? If you exclude tourist destinations, I'd guess most do not.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM

258 posts, read 1,034,740 times
Buffalo, NY

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
um no the OP did not misinterpret anything. The fact that anyone can even call a city "dead" is beyond me. Decling and dead are two different things
Hmm...I'm going to move from saying you may have misinterpreted what others have said...to say you definitely misinterpreted what I was saying. There is definitely a difference between "declining" and "dead"...but in many cases I think people will describe declining cities as dead cities because outside of ghost towns in the Old West, I haven't seen a city that's 100% dead.

The closest thing we have to a truly "dead" city are cities like Detroit, Gary, etc. so they get that label (whether it's fair or not).

Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hmm...I'm going to move from saying you may have misinterpreted what others have said...to say you definitely misinterpreted what I was saying. There is definitely a difference between "declining" and "dead"...but in many cases I think people will describe declining cities as dead cities because outside of ghost towns in the Old West, I haven't seen a city that's 100% dead.

The closest thing we have to a truly "dead" city are cities like Detroit, Gary, etc. so they get that label (whether it's fair or not).

have you even been to Detroit?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
This is sort of a funny thread. People trying to boost their declining cities.

Reality is these places are either declining or stagnant. Dying or dead are probably too strong a term, but the boosting of ****-towns is pathetic yet entertaining. However, some of the ones on at at least one "dying cities" list, the one from Forbes, are actually more alive than one would except.

Two I recently visited, Buffalo and Scranton, are more interesting and lively vs dead and dying.

Scranton, espcially, since there are almost no dead or vacant neighborhoods...the kind of places one sees in Detroit with the urban prairies and vacant board-ups. The city is suprisingly intact.

Buffalo has those vacancies and abandonments, but Buffalo is also apparently actually rebuilding parts of the city with brand-new housing (the neighborhoods direclty east of downtown). The neatest thing about Buffalo is that the old residential neighborhoods to the north of downtown run direclty into the downtown area, without an intervening belt of urban-renewal no-mans-land. One can be on tree lined residential streets within just three or four blocks of the downtown.
if its so pathetic you could have easily skipped over this thread......good riddens

Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
have you even been to Detroit?
Nope and don't plan to. I know what's coming next, so don't bother making the post that I can't comment on Detroit since I've never been there...the fact of the matter is the city has lost roughly 51% of its population since the peak.

Again, I'm not saying Detroit is a "dead" city in the way you're thinking of it. But it is America's poster child for cities which have been hit by hard times...I'm not saying it can't come back...but can you tell me a major city which is in worse shape than Detroit?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,191 times
^Maybe Juarez, Mexico?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM

haha you've got a point there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City