Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times

Advertisements

Which city have you been to has the most violent music scene? Places where you fear for your safety by just going to see a band play.
Traditionally from what I've seen (based on music ranging from hip hop to punk rock) it has been:
NYC
Philly
Boston

I'm not promoting violence, just a bit curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
If you knew Spanish, Los Angeles' music scene has a new but very violent contender: narcocorridos (drug ballads)

Narcocorridos: The Balladeers of Mexico's Drug Wars - TIME
Heisenberg Drug Lord - 'Breaking Bad' crosses into narcocorrido territory - Los Angeles Times

People get into fights, people have gotten shot, stabbed, etc. etc. at various clubs where the music is played. It's only becoming increasingly popular as I hear more and more of these songs being played. To most people, it sounds like traditional Mexican music UNTIL you listen to the lyrics, then you scratch your head and ask "people really write about THAT?!"

Old 12-18-2010, 01:17 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Which city have you been to has the most violent music scene? Places where you fear for your safety by just going to see a band play.
Traditionally from what I've seen (based on music ranging from hip hop to punk rock) it has been:
NYC
Philly
Boston

I'm not promoting violence, just a bit curious.
NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
If you knew Spanish, Los Angeles' music scene has a new but very violent contender: narcocorridos (drug ballads)

Narcocorridos: The Balladeers of Mexico's Drug Wars - TIME
Heisenberg Drug Lord - 'Breaking Bad' crosses into narcocorrido territory - Los Angeles Times

People get into fights, people have gotten shot, stabbed, etc. etc. at various clubs where the music is played. It's only becoming increasingly popular as I hear more and more of these songs being played. To most people, it sounds like traditional Mexican music UNTIL you listen to the lyrics, then you scratch your head and ask "people really write about THAT?!"
I've heard of narcocorridos. Some real gangsta stuff.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
L.A. Philly New York Chicago Memphis, ATL and New Orleans

Old 12-18-2010, 03:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've heard of narcocorridos. Some real gangsta stuff.
Yeah, but most non-Spanish speakers wouldn't understand what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K82nN...eature=related
Without the aid of the YouTube pictures, I think most people would figure that it sounds like music that belongs in some sort of Mexican restaurant. However, it's talking about drug smuggling across the border, getting rich off dealing, drug killings, etc. etc.

And believe me, more and more people have started listening to it.

Long gone are the days of the Sunset Strip and West Coast gangster rap (except for the Game). In a whole bunch of neighborhoods, all you hear all the time nowadays are corridos and maybe SOME Chicano rap.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 PM

86 posts, read 121,253 times
Ok, I'm going to assume we are talkin about violence at the shows and not generic gangsta rap. With that bieng said any one familiar with Hardcore punk knows about the Boston scene and FSU. There documentary on it called "Boston Beatdown". In general any one who has ever been to hardcore show knows how violent they get anywhere (hardcore dancing).

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC
U really should just have your computer set up to answer NYC to any question.
It would save u a lot of time

Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So "Mike Peterson" you're going to pick on him because he said NYC?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:08 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
What do you want me to do? NYC fits in every category I'm sorry if weeki wachee is not on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City