Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Chicago 111 42.37%
Toronto 151 57.63%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Despite being bigger I think Toronto is more cosmopolitan because it's population is more multicultural, and it's the primate city of Canada. Chicago is well known overseas but feels a bit isolated. It's still VERY American, while Toronto seems the least Canadian place in Canada.

Which city has a better range of ethnic food?

Which has more overseas visitor's?

Which is better known to overseas people (I'm guessing Chicago by a mile)?

Which has exported more pop culture (again Chicago probably wins here)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,304 times
The only two places I've been to in Canada are Vancouver and Toronto. Neither of them seem to be what the world thinks of as "Canada". Vancouver feels more like a colony of Hong Kong than anything.
Toronto is one of the most ethnically diverse cities on the planet, but that's only because it's easier to immigrate to Canada than the US.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 AM

182 posts, read 302,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
The only two places I've been to in Canada are Vancouver and Toronto. Neither of them seem to be what the world thinks of as "Canada". Vancouver feels more like a colony of Hong Kong than anything.
Toronto is one of the most ethnically diverse cities on the planet, but that's only because it's easier to immigrate to Canada than the US.
a. You're wrong that it is easier to immigrate to Canada than the US. It is actually harder. Quite a bit. Canada has an entire points system that you must meet to qualify.

b. Canada gets more immigrants per capita because more people choose to come here. Not because they can't go to the United States. In fact, I know several people from Europe and Asia who had to spend several years living in the United States before they were able to move to Canada. They wanted to come to Canada at first, but they weren't able to come here immediately. They were able to get into the United States at first though.

c. The OP is a known anti-Toronto poster, who has never even been to Toronto. Nothing he says about Toronto has any truth to it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 AM

896 posts, read 1,170,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
a. You're wrong that it is easier to immigrate to Canada than the US. It is actually harder. Quite a bit. Canada has an entire points system that you must meet to qualify.

b. Canada gets more immigrants per capita because more people choose to come here. Not because they can't go to the United States. In fact, I know several people from Europe and Asia who had to spend several years living in the United States before they were able to move to Canada. They wanted to come to Canada at first, but they weren't able to come here immediately. They were able to get into the United States at first though.

c. The OP is a known anti-Toronto poster, who has never even been to Toronto. Nothing he says about Toronto has any truth to it.
If he's such a anti-Toronto poster than why is he putting in a good word for it

Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 AM

As far as overseas visitors, according to this link, Toronto gets four times as many overseas tourists:

Top 150 City Destinations: London Leads the Way - Analyst Insight from Euromonitor International

Old 01-19-2012, 02:17 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
As far as overseas visitors, according to this link, Toronto gets four times as many overseas tourists:

Top 150 City Destinations: London Leads the Way - Analyst Insight from Euromonitor International
Of course, those overseas numbers include Americans.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
If he's such a anti-Toronto poster than why is he putting in a good word for it
Okay I did make maybe a couple of ignorant comments I probably shouldn't have, but other than that just expressing my perceptions of Toronto. I haven't been yet, so I probably shouldn't talk too much. I don't have an anti-Toronto agenda or anything. Canadians really like to keep score of your 'wrongs' .

Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Okay I did make maybe a couple of ignorant comments I probably shouldn't have, but other than that just expressing my perceptions of Toronto. I haven't been yet, so I probably shouldn't talk too much. I don't have an anti-Toronto agenda or anything. Canadians really like to keep score of your 'wrongs' .
No, you didn't just make a couple of ignorant comments you shouldn't have. You lied and came across as an idiot, making comments on a city you've never been to and have zero knowledge of. There is nobody in the world with less knowledge of any city than you have of Toronto. So why do you comment on it?

And it's not hard to "keep score" of your wrongs. I've never seen you make a single statement about Toronto that wasn't wrong. It's amazing really.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Funny, I would have said that Toronto feels the most "Canadian" of the large cities in Canada. For example; Vancouver, Quebec City, Montreal--these all felt very different than the general perception I have of Canada, whereas Toronto feels like the most quintessential Canadian city.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Toronto definitely. Chicago is cosmopolitan but having lived there for a few years I wouldn't call it worldly at all. It's the definitive American city. I would say it was in between being liberal and conservative. Worldly? Not really. Toronto takes that prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City