Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
LA is not a mega-city.

Under what criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
HOw does this work on a Philly VS San Fran Philly loses
on a Boston Vs. San Fran, San fran wins
Yet both Boston and Philly beat San Francisco in this pole??

Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You got killed on the last one, so you found one where Philly had some votes....

I voted for SF for all the reasons and data that proved out SF over Philly in the other thread, but the truth is LA is the only mega city on that list. And I dont care about anyones definition of what is urban. Also, anyone who spouts off about LA being the definition of sprawl hasnt been paying attention to the development patterns and trends in LA over the past 30 years.

Killed? Ok...

Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,284 times
Maybe this is a better poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yes, I am saying this (odd you would point this out given you too rated LA above DC).

To me Downtown DC (just Downtown), is rather pretty blah. Just businesses and goverment offices. I understand they've tried to make it more of an entertainment destination lately, but DC has far more notable neighborhoods surrounding Downtown than Downtown itself.

LA on the other hand has seen a vast improvement in it's Downtown in the last few years. Most notably with LA Live which was quite impressive.
LA has always had a fantastic downtown, one that continues to improve. I'm talking about Grand Central Market, the library, Union Station, Bradbury building, the list goes on and on. I've enjoyed spending time there for more than 25 years, whether or not most people outside of L.A. know about it.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's too bad that Chicago wasn't part of the poll, then we could have some real fun. Maybe Miami, too, as it's really dense but developed in a very automobile-oriented way.
I feel like adding Chicago to this would have made this thread explode. It was crazy enough as it is, we don't need Chicago, aka City Data Dynamite.

In terms of Miami, Miami Beach is a very urban area. However I feel the rest of the city is the same as most other Sun Belt cities in terms of urbanity. Yes it's dense, but it's all residential high-rise towers with garages in the base and everything is based around the auto (as you mentioned).

Miami Beach is different because it's both dense and hosts a considerable amount of residential, retail, clubs, bars, etc. Mass Transit is severely lacking though.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because the other thread doesn't have a poll, which was smart I guess of the OP of that thread.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Under what criteria
LA most definitely meets all the criteria and various definitions of a "Megacity".

Megacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles is the 3rd largest Megacity in the developed world behind Tokyo and New York, and is larger than either London or Paris.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Philly

Boston
SF

DC

LA

Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LA most definitely meets all the criteria and various definitions of a "Megacity".

Megacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles is the 3rd largest Megacity in the developed world behind Tokyo and New York, and is larger than either London or Paris.
You're missing Seoul, which is larger than both New York and Los Angeles. Also Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto.

Are we counting Brasil and Mexico as developed? If so, then Mexico City and São Paulo would be larger too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City