Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will have the better waterfront in 2020, D.C. Metro Area or Baltimore Metro Area?
Washington D.C. 49 32.45%
Baltimore 102 67.55%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I would give this one to Baltimore. It's much more oriented towards the water. It has a proper port and shipyard and even has cruises to the north and the Caribbean. So, I don't see D.C.'s waterfront competing with all that by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Baltimore takes this pretty easily. BTW, Baltimore is also building another waterfront in Westport.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Nice thread. You should make a "who will have a better waterfront in 2020 thread" for Philadelphia and Washington D.C.... should be an interesting comparison.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Baltimore has a renowned harbor/waterfront that DC may never be able to compete with, for popularity at least. When people visit Baltimore, there most likely going to the Harbor unlike DC. I live in Silver Spring, MD right now and anytime I visit DC I'm not going to the waterfront, I'm going to the National Mall, Chinatown, etc, the waterfront is one of the last things I care to visit. In Baltimore the harbor is the first and probably only place people do visit, it's a true tourist trap for people nationwide.

DC can build as many new buildings as it wants to but the vibe will not be the same as the harbor, it won't feel nearly as organic as the harbor, and the popularity may never reach the harbors. But with all that said, DC still has the chance to build a great waterfront, it just will never have the popularity, originality, etc of the harbor. It's like Dubai vs NYC, Dubai can build as many beautiful, tall towers, gigantic malls with every store imaginable, build replicas of NYC monuments, have the most expensive hotels and restaurants on the globe, and etc but it'll never be able to compete with NYC. Dubai is still great but NYC will always be better, more world renowned, original, etc.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Baltimore has a renowned harbor/waterfront that DC may never be able to compete with, for popularity at least. When people visit Baltimore, there most likely going to the Harbor unlike DC. I live in Silver Spring, MD right now and anytime I visit DC I'm not going to the waterfront, I'm going to the National Mall, Chinatown, etc, the waterfront is one of the last things I care to visit. In Baltimore the harbor is the first and probably only place people do visit, it's a true tourist trap for people nationwide.

DC can build as many new buildings as it wants to but the vibe will not be the same as the harbor, it won't feel nearly as organic as the harbor, and the popularity may never reach the harbors. But with all that said, DC still has the chance to build a great waterfront, it just will never have the popularity, originality, etc of the harbor. It's like Dubai vs NYC, Dubai can build as many beautiful, tall towers, gigantic malls with every store imaginable, build replicas of NYC monuments, have the most expensive hotels and restaurants on the globe, and etc but it'll never be able to compete with NYC. Dubai is still great but NYC will always be better, more world renowned, original, etc.

This may be true, but you have to admit this is a pretty impressive riverfront forming:

Poplar Point

Poplar Point Vision - YouTube

Capital Riverfront

The Yards DC Virtual Tour - YouTube

SW Waterfront

The Wharf - Washington, DC - YouTube

Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
I like the museum of the Poplar Point, but I like The Yards as a whole.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Pretty big news out today about "The Yard's" which is one of D.C. waterfront's being built. Forest City put their PUD in for the next phase of their development.

Forest City submits plans for Capitol Riverfront theater, apartments - Washington Business Journal

Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,767 times
DC is not a waterfront city. Baltimore has the advantage here (and pretty much only here).

Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
DC is not a waterfront city. Baltimore has the advantage here (and pretty much only here).

That is not going to be the case after all the waterfront's are finished. D.C. has way more development on their waterfront than Baltimore. You are looking at D.C. of 2013 versus the D.C. that is under construction right now.

-SW Waterfront (breaks ground in 3rd Qtr. of 2013)
-Yard Waterfront (under construction)
-Buzzard Point Waterfront (soccer stadium mixed use complex coming)
-Georgetown Waterfront (built)
-Poplar Point Waterfront (planned)
-National Harbor (built and still expanding)
-Alexandria Harbor (master plan moving)

Baltimore doesn't have even half the waterfront milage of D.C.'s coming waterfront. You can't think about now, you have to think about the future.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM

Potomac ferry service idea resurfaces - WTOP.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City