Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM

160 posts, read 854,404 times

Advertisements

There's lots of reasons why someone would prefer Miami over California, and here are a few:

1) If you're latin you'd prefer Miami
2) If you're a horrible person you'd prefer Miami
3) If you just love being sticky & sweaty all the time from the humidity you'd prefer Miami
4) If you're a horrible driver you'd prefer Miami

Should I go on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
There's lots of reasons why someone would prefer Miami over California, and here are a few:

1) If you're latin you'd prefer Miami
2) If you're a horrible person you'd prefer Miami
3) If you just love being sticky & sweaty all the time from the humidity you'd prefer Miami
4) If you're a horrible driver you'd prefer Miami

Should I go on?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808n310 View Post
Love how people bring up Earthquakes all the time when referencing CA....especially when rationalizing it as a reason to choose Miami over CA....um HURRICANES anyone?
You may FEEL and earthquake one every few months. the good jolts come once every few years. The last time I felt a major shaker (northridge) was back in 1993.

By no means do I want to discount the deaths and major injuries that did occur, but the only inconvenience I experienced were a few broken glasses, and a messed up office.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You may FEEL and earthquake one every few months. the good jolts come once every few years. The last time I felt a major shaker (northridge) was back in 1993.

By no means do I want to discount the deaths and major injuries that did occur, but the only inconvenience I experienced were a few broken glasses, and a messed up office.
As a former Floridian, I can't disagree with this. Sure earthquakes have done damage in recent years to OTHER countries. But here in America, the last REALLY sever major disaster was a hurricane. Katrina killed over 1,000 people. When was the last deadly Earthquake to bring a death toll on that level in here in the US?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Humidity and rain is a good thing sometimes though. I'd rather have green Florida than brown California. And for the people who have kept mentioning hurricanes in FL, knock on wood but there hasn't been a hurricane here in the 3 years I've been here. Matter fact I think CA has had more earthquakes in that time period.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Humidity and rain is a good thing sometimes though. I'd rather have green Florida than brown California. And for the people who have kept mentioning hurricanes in FL, knock on wood but there hasn't been a hurricane here in the 3 years I've been here. Matter fact I think CA has had more earthquakes in that time period.
There are earthquakes everyday here but you don't feel them. The last time somebody died from an earthquake in CA was in 2003 when a grand total of TWO people died. The last major earthquake that caused significant deaths in CA was the 1994 Northridge quake. Damage and death from hurricanes is far more frequent than earthquakes. Just look at the amount of death and destruction hurricanes have caused in Florida in just the last ten years compared to what any quake has done to CA in that same amount of time. It's amazing how some people on the east coast don't realize how much more deadlier and destructive hurricanes are there when comparing them to earthquakes.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:48 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I always scratch my head as to why people say California has better weather than Miami.

Sure, Florida is very humid, but Miami doesn't have a winter. Los Angeles, San Francisco, and nearly all of California HAVE winter.

Most winter days in the mid to upper 60s with lows in the mid to lower 40s don't really stack up as better weather than Miami, which has highs in the upper 70s/low 80s and lows in the low 60s.

California also has earthquakes (you know, the natural disasters that you can't escape from) and droughts/water issues.

To top it off, I'll add that I prefer the Miami area to LA any day.
But LA being much larger has way more to see and do.

S. Florida is prone to hurricanes. Hurricanes typically have the potential to devastate larger geographic areas. Earthquakes devastation maybe more intense

So whats wrong with having a mild winter. People like the change in seasons. High of around 60, lows in the 40s is a nice change from summer. California has low humidity, and it always keeps the coast a nice breezy high between 75 and 80 in the summer.

Like someone mentioned its not sticky and muggy.

Florida and Miami is nice for a vacation. Don't get me wrong I love the keys. The water is warmer to swim in, and the white sands are less burning on your feel.

But southern California with its very comfortable mediterranean climate, scenic mountains, and the fact that compared to Florida, its cities actually feel like real cities with so much to see and do, makes me think its like no place on earth.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There are earthquakes everyday here but you don't feel them. The last time somebody died from an earthquake in CA was in 2003 when a grand total of TWO people died. The last major earthquake that caused significant deaths in CA was the 1994 Northridge quake. Damage and death from hurricanes is far more frequent than earthquakes. Just look at the amount of death and destruction hurricanes have caused in Florida in just the last ten years compared to what any quake has done to CA in that same amount of time. It's amazing how some people on the east coast don't realize how much more deadlier and destructive hurricanes are there when comparing them to earthquakes.
Rep.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i personally wouldn't live in either state

Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

What about the earth quake in Japan? That was so bad it caused a tsunami and property damage in California. When is the last time you heard of a hurricane causing damage 5000 miles away from where it hit? I've never heard of a hurricane causing a nuclear disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City