Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times

Advertisements

So this is a thread to kind of ..vent what you dislike people to say about the place you live. I don't know why, but whenever I heard or see someone saying something I either know isn't true, or just don't like people to bring up, i get alittle defensive. I'll start with one city that I've previously lived in before.

Dallas- I don't know why, but whenever somebody mentions "Dallas has no trees" or "Dallas is on the boring Plain", i somewhat get alittle annoyed, because its simply not the truth.

Sometimes i think people just have high standards, and like to think that there city has something, so the other place should have that same something as well. I actually believe this shouldn't be the case. How boring whould it be if every cities landscape was like..lets say, Atlanta. Trees, Trees, Trees. There wouldn't be variety right? Thats just one thing.

So if you would like to take the time to share some trait about you city that you don't like people to bring up, or just isn't true, feel free to share. It will be intresting to see some awnsers. Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,332,459 times
I'm from Long Island, NY and many outsiders assume that we're all rich and snobby.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
People assume Baltimore is a giant ghetto with nothing going for it. People also think that Baltimore is a DC suburb, and that most people in the Baltimore area work in DC

Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
^ two really good examples. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,388,424 times
Hmmm...with Los Angeles, where to start. Type in "LA" or "Los Angeles" into the search bar up above, and see the berating begin! Here's a short list:

-Everyone in LA is a Mexican illegal immigrant and looks like a huge Mexican barrio (Protip: name ONE place in Mexico that physically looks like LA in terms of development...can't think of one, can you?)
-Everyone in LA is somehow affiliated with Hollywood
-Everyone in LA is rude
-LA is full of smog
-LA is full of arrogant and ignorant people
-LA is just the beach, then the desert.

In short, everything in LA is sort of brown, from the people, to the landscape, to right down the air we breathe.

Luckily, I see this sort of ignorance more on the internet more than in person.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,815,991 times
People think Minneapolis has no culture, is perpetually frozen, and is only populated by white people. They also think it is a brand new sunbelt style city; they don't seem to realize that it has been one of the top 15 metros for over a century.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM

765 posts, read 2,130,469 times
Misconceptions about my city: Cleveland is a dirty ****hole, and everyone there is miserable. Pretty much based on the city's industrial past and the fact that it's river caught on fire 40 years ago. They don't realize however that the Cuyahoga river and Lake Erie have been hugely cleaned up since then, and there is less manufacturing industry, so less grit and dirt as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Basically, almost every city in the country has unfair misconceptions slapped on them. New Yorkers are rude. People in LA are shallow. People in Seattle are nothing but a bunch of coffee swilling, self-absorbed Gen Xers. And these are typically cemented by a drive-by on the Interstate or the anecdote of a friend of a friend of a friend.

Heck, I moved to Birmingham umpteen years ago after living in Chicago, San Diego, et al. Guess what? A very beautiful, gracious and livable city that completely belies its reputation as a grimy industrial town. Great arts scene, great entertainment, and great restaurants, particularly for a city its size. So whenever we have visitors here, either on business or for whatever other reason, they are always completely surprised by what they find. We had friends who used to tease us about moving here. Now two couples have moved within a couple of miles of us, while others occasionally ask about the job market here.

I've yet to live in a city that didn't have some really cool things about it, things that made it a worthwhile place to live. Well, maybe not East St. Louis, but you get my drift.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I'm from Long Island, NY and many outsiders assume that we're all rich and snobby.
no not really. That's never been my impression of Long Island. The Hamptons yes, but I talk on the phone at work to clients from LI, and Hoity Toity certainly doesn't come to mind.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM

491 posts, read 886,961 times
Well, nobody outside of the PacNW even thinks about Spokane for a second, but there are many falsehoods espoused by the locals (mainly Spokanites who have never really been anywhere other than Spokane)... like it's some kind of horribly run-down ghetto. There are some older neighborhoods here that could use a little TLC, but the way the locals talk you'd think you were in the middle of the most dangerous and decayed place in America.

Now where I grew up (Houston) gets a LOT of grief, especially on the internet. Let's see....

*We're all conservative
*We're all tied in with the oil industry
*One big ghetto/murder capitol
*We all speak with a Southern drawl
*There is no inner city/one big suburb
*We all dress like cowboys
*We're all millionaires

In other words... we're all wealthy republican cowboy oil barons with Southern accents who live in the ghetto, which is really a suburb.

Those are just the ones that come to mind immediately. I've heard all kinds of wacked-out assumptions.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 07-11-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City