Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ or CA
NJ 63 73.26%
CA 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

125 posts, read 333,734 times

Advertisements

Lets try to be civil here and realize that the media has taken these states and blew their true character WAY out of proportion.

I personally think these two states have a lot going for them, states like these will get a lot of attention- And they will be mocked.

Here's the stereotypical sum-up

New Jersey of course, the land of mobsters and guidos. The land of toxic waste dumps and highways, everyone is a mall rat and NYC and Philly's trash almost always lands in Jersey. Almost 100% Italian
~NJ shows had the highest rating on HBO, MTV, Bravo, and Style network.

California of course, the land of air heads and illegal Mexicans. The land of tacky sprawl and air pollution, everyone is a pothead and Hollywood is the beauty of it all. Almost 100% Mexican
~CA shows took a break after NJ has taken over, but it has definitely left a mark on MTV, VH1, Bravo, and E!
-------------

Now, I'm making this thread to break the stereotypes between the two states. I figured you have to be really unique with these threads lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Probably New Jersey since most of the media is either based in California or New York City so they tend to view those areas more favorably.

Of course shows such as Jersey Shore and the Sopranos are not doing a huge favor either.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
New Jersey, Hands down.

It's image and reputation is already ruined; these shows are just overkill.

Two states that have suffered the most from the media is Texas and New Jersey. California shouldn't even be on here.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
Definitely NJ. No matter how many people hate California there's a million more that love it. But it seems like the only people that don't hate NJ are the ones who live and lived there, and they'll tell you all of us hate it too.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
new jersey. And its funny because only one of the cast members from "The Jersey Shore" is actually from New Jersey. Lot of the Sopranos charaters hail From NY.

mas23

Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
New Jersey should of been the only option.

I used to be bothered by all the negative hype NJ was getting from the shows, but I got over it.

The Sopranos was the highest rated television series in the history of television
Jersey Shore was the highest rated television series on MTV
Jerseylicious seems to be the highest rated television series on the Style network.

It's America that's watching and giving the media the idea that anything related to NJ is gold. Hell, I hear the strongest fan base outside of the NYC area for Jersey Shore is in Miami, Boston and Chicago. Jerseylicious is popular in Australia out of all places believe it or not.
To think this is a predominately suburban state.

Either way you twist it and flip it, NJ trumps a lot of states in a lot of categories (education, wealth, location, diversity), including "fame"
I love my lil ol NJ no matter what

Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I've never understood the hate of New Jersey, I liked the place a long time ago when I took an East Coast trip, the cruise down the beach towns is really nice actually. I had no idea there was such a "Jersey" bias until recently.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
New Jersey should of been the only option.

I used to be bothered by all the negative hype NJ was getting from the shows, but I got over it.

The Sopranos was the highest rated television series in the history of television
Jersey Shore was the highest rated television series on MTV
Jerseylicious seems to be the highest rated television series on the Style network.

It's America that's watching and giving the media the idea that anything related to NJ is gold. Hell, I hear the strongest fan base outside of the NYC area for Jersey Shore is in Miami, Boston and Chicago. Jerseylicious is popular in Australia out of all places believe it or not.
To think this is a predominately suburban state.

Either way you twist it and flip it, NJ trumps a lot of states in a lot of categories (education, wealth, location, diversity), including "fame"
I love my lil ol NJ no matter what
I must admit I watch all those shows, and pretty frequently Jersey Shore and Sopranos lol.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
Definitely New Jersey. It gets a lot of negative media exposure and very little positive. California gets a lot of negative exposure, but it's all concentrated in Los Angeles/Hollywood for the most part. The state as a whole gets more positive media exposure than negative. Still, I think both states are still recognized by most people as prosperous and well-educated areas of the country that offer a lot and the negative exposure doesn't stop anyone from visiting the states. In fact, New Jersey has probably received an increase in tourism due to shows like Jersey Shore. States like Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Kentucky, Arkansas, and few others probably suffer the most from negative media exposure since a lot of people actually believe media stereotypes of those states to be true.

Last edited by jayp1188; 01-06-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I must admit I watch all those shows, and pretty frequently Jersey Shore and Sopranos lol.
me too. I can't act like I don't contribute to the hype. I can't help but to watch Jersey Shore, Seaside has been where I spent my summer days all my life.
The Sopranos was a masterpiece, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City