Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Miami is one small part of Florida. Just because people think Miami is representative of all of Florida isn't my problem. Florida is southern.

I'm talking about other than Peachtree.
Atlanta can be as dense as it wants with all the towers and mid rises as far as the eye can see, but it will not change the fact that the setbacks are too large, the streets are too wide in most areas, etc. Midtown doesn't have the intimate feel of older, denser cities.
It's not compact like NOLA where it's literally old world feeling, but the streets aren't that wide in Midtown Atlanta.

Do you consider this a wide street or huge setbacks? The setbacks look normal to me.

https://goo.gl/maps/KnZjXQFmUi42

Most people would say this is urban and walkable. The street width comes nowhere close to Manhattan main street widths.

https://goo.gl/maps/QSsx4aFvMoK2

Again, urban to me with retail on both sides...setbacks is fine.

https://goo.gl/maps/aAKRj6tNY1m

Here's a little area in Midtown that's a little more residential, but the streets are very small.

https://goo.gl/maps/ktn3AD6p7oS2

Again, it seems like you haven't been to Midtown Atlanta and maybe even Atlanta period. Trying to say Midtown has huge setbacks and wide streets is ridiculous and street level retail only exists on Peachtree is insane. This ain't Buckhead.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
The homerism in this thread is blatant and ridiculous.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's not compact like NOLA where it's literally old world feeling, but the streets aren't that wide in Midtown Atlanta.

Do you consider this a wide street or huge setbacks? The setbacks look normal to me.

https://goo.gl/maps/KnZjXQFmUi42

Most people would say this is urban and walkable. The street width comes nowhere close to Manhattan main street widths.

https://goo.gl/maps/QSsx4aFvMoK2

Again, urban to me with retail on both sides...setbacks is fine.

https://goo.gl/maps/aAKRj6tNY1m

Here's a little area in Midtown that's a little more residential, but the streets are very small.

https://goo.gl/maps/ktn3AD6p7oS2

Again, it seems like you haven't been to Midtown Atlanta and maybe even Atlanta period. Trying to say Midtown has huge setbacks and wide streets is ridiculous and street level retail only exists on Peachtree is insane. This ain't Buckhead.
Your first and last sentences completely contradict each other.
You obviously know what I mean.
Nowhere in Midtown compares with: https://goo.gl/maps/VmVFLK3vmjq

..at least in my, and obviously your, opinion.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:53 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Miami is one small part of Florida. Just because people think Miami is representative of all of Florida isn't my problem. Florida is southern.
We don't disagree.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Dallas (DFW)
Atlanta
Houston
Miami

Old 11-27-2015, 08:55 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
The homerism in this thread is blatant and ridiculous.
This is all ridiculous. Either the people from Atlanta, and Houston that keep saying those two cities match the built environment of new Orleans outside the quarter either never left the quarter or they enjoyed the festivities a little too much.

The urban areas of Atlanta, DFW and Houston are so large, and the buildings so tall, i would imagine it taking 100 years and a hefty population increase before they see the built out block to block development of New Orleans. These 3 cities are constantly building up and out, increasing the urban footprint, while New Orleans is hemmed in by a huge lake, wetlands, and bisected by a river. At the same time they don't build up as much, so the limited land they do have, they build low. Making it easy for all the land to be built out.

I really can't imagine Houston, DFW and ATL ever being built out because of the abundance of space and the hirises. While New Orleans would use 10 blocks to build 10 buildings under 10 stories, the other 3 would use 3 blocks, throw up 3 buildings over 10 floors and leave the rest empty. So yes in that way the big three achieve a higher population density, but a lower built density and lower big city feel because of all the gaps

Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Your first and last sentences completely contradict each other.
You obviously know what I mean.
Nowhere in Midtown compares with: https://goo.gl/maps/VmVFLK3vmjq

..at least in my, and obviously your, opinion.
At least 3 links I posted has streets as wide the one you just posted there. Atlanta doesn't have western-like streets that are generally wide. Atlanta is still an eastern city and eastern cities generally had smaller street widths.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
This is all ridiculous. Either the people from Atlanta, and Houston that keep saying those two cities match the built environment of new Orleans outside the quarter either never left the quarter or they enjoyed the festivities a little too much.

The urban areas of Atlanta, DFW and Houston are so large, and the buildings so tall, i would imagine it taking 100 years and a hefty population increase before they see the built out block to block development of New Orleans. These 3 cities are constantly building up and out, increasing the urban footprint, while New Orleans is hemmed in by a huge lake, wetlands, and bisected by a river. At the same time they don't build up as much, so the limited land they do have, they build low. Making it easy for all the land to be built out.

I really can't imagine Houston, DFW and ATL ever being built out because of the abundance of space and the hirises. While New Orleans would use 10 blocks to build 10 buildings under 10 stories, the other 3 would use 3 blocks, throw up 3 buildings over 10 floors and leave the rest empty. So yes in that way the big three achieve a higher population density, but a lower built density and lower big city feel because of all the gaps
Skyscrapers contribute to a big city feel. Would you consider Seattle's core to be more big city feeling than NOLA? NOLA is more compact, but Seattle scale is much larger with a skyscraper downtown and 4-6 story apartment midrises radiating from that area.

And if Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta can have these large urban waves every decade, it won't take nearly as long as you think. It only took Seattle 2 or 3 decades from going from a core where parking lots were very numerous to a fairly built out core with little parking lots remaining. All they have to do is build out 30 square miles or so to get that very big city feel.

And let's be honest: When's the last time NOLA has had a significant wave of development? It's remain relatively stagnant for decades now. The pop. growth it's experiencing now is mainly because returning to housing units that weren't previously occupied. It's not really building much of any new housing. It'll never when the city is experiencing annual net job losses.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
I'll be so glad when Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta aren't always used in the same sentence.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:59 PM

641 posts, read 801,608 times
Quote:
Thank you. I was one who'd not consider florida but I can relate to your argument. Houston and East TX is a small part of the state and bc of that portion, we get lumped in with "south" like GA, AL, SC. Wth, smh

I'll take your word for it since u live there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Sure are. I have cousins that are Cuban and from what I have heard about Mexicans in Houston, it maybe similar to Cubans in South Florida. But yeah, most of the Blacks in South Florida that I know personally look at themselves as Southerners. Most of the blacks outside the South that looks at Miami and the rest of the Florida as the South. Including the ones that have experience with Florida.

Yea, while I was in Houston I saw a slightly obese asian woman eho had a thick southern draw. I was shocked! Didn't know it was possible.

Lol @ the homerism. We all have pride in where we're from. I gave Houston the nod over dallas. But my bias won't allow me to say Houston Metro is better than DFW metro. Ill defend the state in a heartbeat regardless.

I cant contribute much on the NoLa debate. But it seems like if a city had more hi rises, skyscrapers, and population density then it would easily feel bigger than another city. Hou, Atl, DFW (sorry Southernboy) all beat NoLa in those three categories. OP's question was "what city?", not what cities urban core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City