Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,777 times

Advertisements

Bottom Five:

Los Angeles - too many people, too much pollution, too much traffic, and horrible system.
Buffalo - too cold and the reasons why so many people have left. The current population is half of its peak sometime in the 50s.
Detroit - too much crime and horrible economy.
Phoenix - too many people, too much sprawl, and too hot.
New Orleans - still recovering from H.K. and has a lot of what is the South.

I could tolerate others, but still wouldn't want to. This is mainly the South/Southeast

Top Five:

Seattle - that's it. It's why I haven't moved.

Last edited by tudorjason; 02-07-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Top 5:
1) Cleveland (current choice!) -- Culture, Affordibility
2) Chicago -- LOVE the neighborhoods of Chi-Town (Wicker Park, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, etc)
3) Boston -- Favorite Walkable city in America
4) Charleston, SC -- Very underrated city and beautiful weather
5) San Francisco -- Walkable, weather, Bay area
6) Austin, TX -- very fun city, and you feel at home

Bottom 5:
1) Raleigh-Durham (lived there for 2 years...sorry, hated the culture, and the cookie cutter feel)
2) Phoenix -- too hot, too much sprawl
3) Nashville, TN -- Don't like the city feel, too southern of culture
4) Jacksonville, FL -- Sprawl USA, feels almost fake
5) Charlotte -- Although it is improving and growing, I still don't like the feel of the town, not enough character that I appreciate.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
^I like your top 6!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
why do people mention salt lake city as fundamental christian? It has elected gay representatives to the state legislature has a large gay population, and votes fairly democrat.

Just because it's in Utah doesn't mean that it is super-Morman and very conservative.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why do people mention salt lake city as fundamental christian? It has elected gay representatives to the state legislature has a large gay population, and votes fairly democrat.

Just because it's in Utah doesn't mean that it is super-Morman and very conservative.

Alot of so called, self proclaimed, progressives are very much anti religion and anti conservative. Many will make assumptions on liking an area based on superficial things they have no control over. Really they're just as biased toward people who think differently than they do. In Utah, as far as modern history goes, the Mormons are the modern history, heritage, founders and pioneers. If you go in with that in mind as far as history and culture, you'd be fine.

What does that mean to not choose Utah as a potential destination? Nothing. Utah doesnt care if they come live or even visit. I would say having been to places like Denver, Portland, parts of California, that living in SLC is very comparable. Outdoor activities, weather, quality of life is very high. Although parts of the state are very heavily LDS up to 90%, SLC is only about 50%. Having Mormons in their backyard as neighbors would mean very little on a daily basis, although they will generally be pleasant neighbors who take care of their homes and neighborhoods.

As far as voting, you got that one wrong. The state is highly conservative, for some reason to me it doesnt feel to uppity conservative. Presidential votes, its usually the highest percentage vote for republicans in the nation.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM

410 posts, read 633,882 times
1. Phoenix: Its city centre is kinda a joke. Very suburban. A lot of my highschool enemies currently live there....
2. Houston: You'd know why if you were me.....
3. Jackson, Mississippi: Sorry Mississippi..ers. Seems like a relatively dead area. Economy is pretty bad here too....
4. Laredo, TX, Lubbock, TX or cities like this: These cities seem rundown to me. Relatively empty surrounding areas. Plus relatively boring city centre.
5. Meridian, MS: Pretty much for the same reason for Jackson

As for my FAVORITES:
1. Chicago: HOME!
2. San Francisco: Vibrant city. Close to family members. Good location with great neighboring cities
3. Nashville: Great people, good music, drivable to Memphis,
4. Milwaukee: Visually charming city, close to Lake Geneva, family, and good thriving communities. I could also say the cleanest of all of these
5. Baltimore/DC: Bmore is walkable, good public transportation. Family friendly city(?) DC is more white collar but nevertheless has an abundance of good restaurants and museums abound!

Last edited by japster28; 02-07-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Cities I could never live in? Mosy cities in the midwest and great plains, with the exception of Chicago. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, it's just that there are many more interesting places to live--I've no interest in spending years in a city that doesn't excite or intrigue me.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 AM

53 posts, read 147,384 times
Cities I would not live:

1. Las Vegas - Ugh! Living in Salt Lake I've had to travel through that city many times. I know what it's like and it never improves. The downtown is flashy, gaudy fakeness. No true architectural beauty and integrity whatsoever. And the rest is ugly and characterless. Way too dry and brown. Bright spot. Mandalay Bay is a great venue for a concert.

2. Los Angeles - way too big. One massive, characterless suburbia. The air. You start to see a gray cloud hovering around the mountains long before you get to any major city. You would feel like a big nobody there.

3. Seattle - beautiful city. I'd live there in a second if it weren't for the endless gray clouds rolling in like ocean waves, no end in sight, for days. *slits wrists*

4. Phoenix - desert. Hot. Getting way too big. Did I say desert?

5. Many small towns out in the middle of nowhere that I've seen in my travels.

Cities I would live:

1. San Diego - beautiful beaches and perfect temperatures along the coast. Can't beat it.

2. ... Still working on this list.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
1. Phoenix: Its city centre is kinda a joke. Very suburban. A lot of my highschool enemies currently live there....
2. Houston: You'd know why if you were me.....
3. Jackson, Mississippi: Sorry Mississippi..ers. Seems like a relatively dead area. Economy is pretty bad here too....
4. Laredo, TX, Lubbock, TX or cities like this: These cities seem rundown to me. Relatively empty surrounding areas. Plus relatively boring city centre.
5. Meridian, MS: Pretty much for the same reason for Jackson

As for my FAVORITES:
1. Chicago: HOME!
2. San Francisco: Vibrant city. Close to family members. Good location with great neighboring cities
3. Nashville: Great people, good music, drivable to Memphis,
4. Milwaukee: Visually charming city, close to Lake Geneva, family, and good thriving communities. I could also say the cleanest of all of these
5. Baltimore/DC: Bmore is walkable, good public transportation. Family friendly city(?) DC is more white collar but nevertheless has an abundance of good restaurants and museums abound!
I'll give you boring downtown and empty surroundings, but Lubbock is actually a very new and clean city even by American standards. I would estimate 75% of the city has been built since 1960.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Los Angeles - Never respected what this city stood for; don't care for the sprawl or the movie industry or the movie star focus; don't care to be in a place that is the plastic surgery capital of the world; don't care for the smog or traffic; hate the surfer culture; not the least bit interested in the tacky sophistication the city represents nor its reputation as "land of the larks."

Atlanta - Not interested in a place that touts itself as the "black mecca" - at least not until blacks as a whole are known more for high academic achievement rather than underachievement and preference for rap and hip-hop. I prefer a place where commonality is not defined by race. The city also resides in one of the most politically-backwards and racially-insensitive states: Georgia. I wouldn't be caught dead in a state with such a shameful racial history.

Milwaukee - I still have relatives there and it's a beautiful city of great substance, peace, and tranquility. Beautiful parks and homes are nicely built. It's a clean city with beautiful neighborhoods. There are some fine, down-to-earth people who reside there as well. Problem is that there are too many ignorant, semi-illiterate black people and far too many rigid, racially-intolerant whites in this city. The city is stuck in limbo while these two factions are stuck staring each other down. This may not end for another 100 years. Too much segregation. Too few career opportunities. Not much room for growth. Career stagnation is commonplace, especially for blacks. Winters are brutal.

Chicago - Just a bigger, more intense version of Milwaukee. They're only 90 miles apart. Chicago may be bigger and more world renowned, but it is by no means a more enlightened place. It continues to stand alongside Milwaukee as one of the most racially-segregated cities in the country. It too has been struggling with a huge population of semi-illiterate, problematic blacks and large segment of racially-intolerant whites. Like Milwaukee, the potential of this city is suspended while these two factions impede each other. No.

New York - Great city if you're young, single, educated. Stressful place to make a living, especially if you have a family with kids. The commute alone was not meant for human beings, but desensitized robots. Too congested and the effort to tolerate the congestion is ever-present, even when sleeping. Not interested in living in a city where everyone thinks they have all the answers and no questions. The city makes you adjust to it and find this tolerable only as a visitor.
I'm glad for you that this wasn't posted on the PC Boston forum, 'cause you would have gotten a Moderator b-slap within five minutes of posting it. BTW: I do think it's just a "bit" over the top, FWIW. Hint: I'm not talking about your view of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City