Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

I don't recall answering this before. I could do more than 10, but:

1. Salt Lake City - the headquarters of the Mormon church - enough said
2. Las Vegas - skanky, transplants are initially happy because of housing values but then want to leave
3. Memphis - I don't know, but it's in a weird location at the top of the South and the bottom of the Midwest, and with few redeeming qualities
4. Minneapolis - too cold, not exactly a bargain, and Scandinavian sensibilities have set the social tone, as in "Oh, you can't say or think that ... "
5. Louisville - better than Memphis, but not by much, another bad combo of South/Midwest, and not highly ranked on most studies

Some cities people rip on but which have SOME redeeming qualities:
1. Detroit - many nice suburbs and access to the UP and other large cities
2. Cleveland - lakefront location, Renaissance in progress, and nice suburbs
3. Buffalo - Niagara Falls, and Toronto 90 miles away
4. Jacksonville or Orlando - redneck and boring, yes, but beaches are RIGHT THERE or 1 hour either side of you
5. Montgomery AL - can go to Pensacola or Atlanta easily and often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I see Austin as more of a cooler version of Columbus Ohio or Sacramento.
That's not saying much.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Top 5:
Minneapolis/St. Paul-Interesting vibrant city, good economy
Cleveland-My home town, lots of great dining and amenities, cheap housing, nice people
Savannah-The only city in the south that I would live in. Great architecture/history, friendly people, nice weather in the fall through spring
New York City-The city is alive 24/7, and it has everything you could possibly need.
Anchorage-Natural beauty plus city amenities

Bottom 5:
Cincinnati-Too conservative/racist/bible belt for me
Chicago-Tries to be New York but fails, also its highly corrupt history is a turn off
Los Angeles-Too dangerous, both in terms of crime and natural disasters.
San Diego-Too clothing-oriented/superficial
Florida-see San Diego
Seeing your from cleveland raises a lot of questions to me if you even been to these citites...

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Cleveland
Cleveland.....yeah you get it, its broing, mistake by the lake, too religous, ugly, high crime, decline in population and just plain scary.....also no jobs

Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's not saying much.
You're right, they don't have beaches!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Cleveland
Cleveland.....yeah you get it, its broing, mistake by the lake, too religous, ugly, high crime, decline in population and just plain scary.....also no jobs
Too religious? That's the first time I've heard somebody accuse Cleveland of that!

I live here now but am not from Cleveland, so you can't really offend me about Cleveland......but that being said, I bet you Cleveland has a lower unemployment rate than where you live in Cali...... Maybe if you had said "Youngstown"...

Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Seeing your from cleveland raises a lot of questions to me if you even been to these citites...
That dudes' been banned for a long time now.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM

64 posts, read 125,656 times
1) Las Vegas - Ultimate tourist trap
2) Houston - heat and humidity
3) New York City - Awesome place to visit but would never live there unless I was making 500k plus a year
4) Salt Lake City - I couldn't handle the extremely conservative culture
5) Miami - Not a fan of Florida, too hot, threat of hurricanes

Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
I am very open minded and could live almost anywhere that's decent sized. I don't cling to stereotypes about places and research them well before forming an opinion. These are the places I could never live though. I actually had a hard time coming up with these aside from the first two.

Las Vegas - Great to visit but I could never imagine living there. Too touristy
Detroit - Speaks for itself. Has nice suburbs but Detroit itself is in ruin
Cleveland - It's like Detroit-lite. I could have moved to Cleveland but I researched it and didn't like what I saw so I passed
New Orleans - Outside the French Quarter, it wasn't great even before Katrina, but now I especially couldn't imagine living there. That's not to say New Orleans isn't a great place to visit - in fact its one of the best tourist cities in the country. Living there is different though.

I know that's just four, but I honestly can't think of a fifth city over 1 million in metro population that I couldn't make work for me.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am very open minded and could live almost anywhere that's decent sized. I don't cling to stereotypes about places and research them well before forming an opinion. These are the places I could never live though. I actually had a hard time coming up with these aside from the first two.

Las Vegas - Great to visit but I could never imagine living there. Too touristy
Detroit - Speaks for itself. Has nice suburbs but Detroit itself is in ruin
Cleveland - It's like Detroit-lite. I could have moved to Cleveland but I researched it and didn't like what I saw so I passed
New Orleans - Outside the French Quarter, it wasn't great even before Katrina, but now I especially couldn't imagine living there. That's not to say New Orleans isn't a great place to visit - in fact its one of the best tourist cities in the country. Living there is different though.

I know that's just four, but I honestly can't think of a fifth city over 1 million in metro population that I couldn't make work for me.
When you say "research," does that mean you've actually visited all of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City