Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM

7 posts, read 9,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I looked at all three of your posts, all three are trolling posts, I hope the mods get rid of you soon
I actually currently live in a suburb of Houston, Texas. I'm not a troll. I'm just not a homer like you. My IP can be traced. I'm stating the truth....people DO NOT move to Texas for it's "scenery". Why does that bother you?

Texas has a lot going for it but looks aint one of them...it's all about J-O-B-S (which is why I was relocated here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'd always heard Texas was one of the worst in the country. Low taxes, but underfunded education and health care.
According to Newsweek, the best public high school* in the country is in Dallas, and in total 136 of the roughly 1600 schools on the list are in Texas. It's not the best state for education, but it's hardly one of the worst.

*Rankings were determined by students taking AP or IB test, and the list excluded a handful of magnet schools whose average SAT scores were so high that they were deemed too elite.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
According to Newsweek, the best public high school* in the country is in Dallas, and in total 136 of the roughly 1600 schools on the list are in Texas. It's not the best state for education, but it's hardly one of the worst.

*Rankings were determined by students taking AP or IB test, and the list excluded a handful of magnet schools whose average SAT scores were so high that they were deemed too elite.
yeah incorrect stereotypes of Texas are so prevalent. why do people always believe such nonsense

Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC P. View Post
I actually currently live in a suburb of Houston, Texas. I'm not a troll. I'm just not a homer like you. My IP can be traced. I'm stating the truth....people DO NOT move to Texas for it's "scenery". Why does that bother you?

Texas has a lot going for it but looks aint one of them...it's all about J-O-B-S (which is why I was relocated here).
who moves anywhere for the scenery other than old folks????

Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 9,912 times
Quote:
Good question.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
This doesn't make any sense to me, if Florida was the second largest numerical gainer last year, then why are they still crunching beyond abnormal rates for unemployment? Is it due to the population gain and insufficiency to fill in jobs for every unemployed person or is it just because they lost an incredible amount of employment before and cant refill it fast enough?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Exactly
Retirees go to Florida because this state is very beautiful, but workers too because it's low taxes and before the crisis it was one of the main job creators, the best of both worlds
But I heard retirees go to Texas too now, particularly from California, but not for the scenery I guess

Texas is mainly for the economy but it's so great, because it's the most important.With a job you have a future, without a job you're nothing....With a pro-business climate ambitious people can have success, with anti-business climate it's tough.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Exactly
Retirees go to Florida because this state is very beautiful, but workers too because it's low taxes and before the crisis it was one of the main job creators, the best of both worlds
But I heard retirees go to Texas too now, particularly from California, but not for the scenery I guess

Texas is mainly for the economy but it's so great, because it's the most important.With a job you have a future, without a job you're nothing....With a pro-business climate ambitious people can have success, with anti-business climate it's tough.

yeah people get second homes in places for pleasure. I am not gonna move to montana for no darn mountain, or south florida for no darn beach.

I move to an area I will live comfortably, and right now Texas is the place. on top of that I think it is very beautiful.

trolls just love complaining about nonsense

Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Exactly

Alot of retirees move to Texas now for the affordability and the scenery. The Valley(Rio Grande Valley) is seeing an influx of retirees moving down there for the scenery, affordability, and the excellent weather.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Alot of retirees move to Texas now for the affordability and the scenery. The Valley(Rio Grande Valley) is seeing an influx of retirees moving down there for the scenery, affordability, and the excellent weather.

a lot are also moving to Montgomery county, to San Antonio, and some areas Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City