Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worst
Washington, D.C. 34 10.33%
New York City 85 25.84%
Chicago 155 47.11%
Los Angeles 23 6.99%
Atlanta 32 9.73%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I don't know who said Bowen Homes was the worst, but it wasn't. Although Bowen didn't look very bad, it WAS a very rough neighborhood mainly because it was SOOOO BIG. SOOO Many people lived there which made for an explosive situation. But anyway, I've tried Google Mapping some of those old projects and they look like nice apartments and condos now... Atlanta has had no project housing for a couple of years now.

Which is why I say, Atlanta shouldn't be on this list
Well I think this is more historical. Aren't a lot of cities tearing down their projects?

Chicago has torn down all of their highrise projects and are rehabbing the rest - yet it's still winning the poll. In its current state the projects don't exist compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

It was the largest public housing reform in US history. 25,000 housing units were torn down or completely rebuilt. All the notorious highrise projects were flattened.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-11-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
The lowrises left in Chicago are still awful for the most part. So are the scattered-site. I see people on my block hanging around in full gangbanging color schemes, selling drugs and occasionally raising hell, and when they need rest they march straight into their comfortable subsidized townhouses paid for by everyone else on the block. It's a joke.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The lowrises left in Chicago are still awful for the most part. So are the scattered-site. I see people on my block hanging around in full gangbanging color schemes, selling drugs and occasionally raising hell, and when they need rest they march straight into their comfortable subsidized townhouses paid for by everyone else on the block. It's a joke.
Thats sad...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well I think this is more historical. Aren't a lot of cities tearing down their projects?

Well, if we're going off of historically speaking, I'd still have to say that Baltimore and Detroit have the worst, THEN the places on this list. I don't think Atlanta's projects ever really LOOKED bad, but they were bad. Neither any in Cali... Those pics of Cali projects do not look that bad...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Well, if we're going off of historically speaking, I'd still have to say that Baltimore and Detroit have the worst, THEN the places on this list. I don't think Atlanta's projects ever really LOOKED bad, but they were bad. Neither any in Cali... Those pics of Cali projects do not look that bad...
I've ended up in Baltimore's projects getting lost but wasn't all that just folks livin...the rowhouse neighborhoods are where the trouble lies. DC projects are like tribe vs tribe and beef with each other over nothing

Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I've ended up in Baltimore's projects getting lost but wasn't all that just folks livin...the rowhouse neighborhoods are where the trouble lies. DC projects are like tribe vs tribe and beef with each other over nothing
The projects arent bad in baltimore. You were right tho, the regular neighborhoods are worse.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The projects arent bad in baltimore. You were right tho, the regular neighborhoods are worse.
Just cause the row homes are so bad does not mean the projects are not bad also...

Last edited by Legendof302; 11-11-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Baltimore Projects still look Raw tho...

1350 north gilmore street - Google Maps

Mc Aleer Court, Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Chicago has torn down all of their highrise projects and are rehabbing the rest - yet it's still winning the poll. In its current state the projects don't exist compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

It was the largest public housing reform in US history. 25,000 housing units were torn down or completely rebuilt. All the notorious highrise projects were flattened.
You can see the endless rows of the Robert Taylor highrises at 0:18, 1:40 and countless more gheto highrises in 1:20. There were so many of them that would make a bigger skyline than some of the cities in this country. I heard someone said it so bad the police won't even go in them.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Neither any in Cali... Those pics of Cali projects do not look that bad...
Are you kidding? Some of those projects i posted pics of were literally rated as among the worst/most run down in the nation, by the US dept of housing and urban development. They have problems like mold, bullet holes in walls, broken sewers and appliances, busted lights, no smoke detectors, abandonment/squatters, and of course tons of addicts, drug dealers/hustlers, etc, who don't mind shooting each other or snitches, or robbing people blind. The pics show dilapidated and boarded up budings, dealers standing around, some weeds and trash, two arson events, the scene of a shooting, a dude getting arrested, and a few shooting victims...yet you say its not that bad? You're not one of those people who only thinks highrise projects are bad are you? I do agree the projects in SF and elsewhere in CA are most likely not the worst...but some are pretty bad, no doubt.

Last edited by rah; 11-12-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City