Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one
The DMV (Washington, D.C. metropolitan area) 100 54.35%
The San Francisco Bay Area 69 37.50%
Tie, too close to call 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC has wayyyyyy better nightlife than SF. SF has better shopping and restaurants. SF is also very filthy.
Shopping is no problem. You could just jump on the highway or get on the Acela to Philly or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

381 posts, read 862,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Nightlife is better in D.C. and so is architecture.

I'll give SF urbanity but thats it.
Nightlife is much better in San Francisco, way more variety and a more vibrant nightlife districts. Not to mention, way more places to drink per capita.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:19 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
This makes zero sense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post

San Francisco
Population city: 815,358
Population Metro: 4,203,898
City Land area: 46.7 sq mi
Metro Land area: 4,317,853
City density: 17,323/sq mi
Metro Density: 840/sq. mi.
You claim the bolded parts are stats for the "San Francisco Bay Area" but your population number is just for the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont MSA, which is only one of 6 different component MSAs that make up the Bay Area CSA....then, you have what looks like a different but similar population estimate for the SF-Oakland-Fremont MSA in the section for "metro land area" for some reason...And then you used the population density for the entire CSA, even though the population you listed is that of one MSA. Talk about inconsistent. Were you drunk when you posted this?

Anyways, THIS, is the "San Francisco Bay Area" (also known as the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA):

population - 7,427,757
land area - 8,818 sq. miles
density - 842/sq. mi.

and THIS is the SF-Oakland-Fremont MSA:

population - 4,317,853
land area - 2,473 sq. miles
density - 1,746/sq. mi.

the stats are taken from the US census website.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
DC has wayyyyy more party areas (nightlife districts) than SF. SF shuts down too early IMO. Plus DC is the capital of happy hour. From bus drivers to politicos, DC has a happy hour spot for them all.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
DC has wayyyyy more party areas (nightlife districts) than SF. SF shuts down too early IMO. Plus DC is the capital of happy hour. From bus drivers to politicos, DC has a happy hour spot for them all.
What are you basing that on? SF has literally dozens of neighborhoods with significant bar clusters, a bunch of which could be considered "party areas" - from the endless rows of dives and cocktail lounges in the tenderloin, to the hipster bars in the mission, to the dance clubs in SOMA, to the bars and strip clubs in North Beach, etc. The only areas in DC I can think of as true party areas are Adams-Morgan and Dupont Circle, and even those lack the vibrancy of SF's premiere nightlife districts.

As for happy hours, SF and Seattle are known to be the happy hour capitals. Virtually every place has an extended happy hour.

Either way, neither SF or DC are top tier nightlife cities, but having spent time in both I can say with confidence that SF offers a wider range of nightlife than DC.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I've been to San Francisco and pardon me if you've heard this before, but this gay man of color was so unimpressed with their nightlife. It was a water water everywhere but not a drop to drink in the Castro for me.

Aesthetically San Francisco wins. Its odd microclimate makes me curious about living there. A jacket in July? Sounds interesting and also just plain wrong. I'm sure that novelty would get old. Mark Twain was right it was definitely the coldest winter on that July 4th weekend.

San Francisco packs a lot into such a small area but I just like DC more. This is the land of opportunity and I really like metro more than the BART. The Muni streetcars are interesting but I didn't think they were the most reliable.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Overunder12,
DC party areas
Adams Morgan
Georgetown
Chinatown/Penn Quarter
U Street
Dupont Circle
14th & K Street area (LIMA, LOTUS, THE PARK, K STREET LOUNGE, ETC)
H Street NE - Yes, the white people have turned it into a gritty party area with scores of bars and dives. LOL
Connecticut Ave South & M Street Area (OZIOS, RUMORS, CAMELOT ETC)

Coming soon: Navy Yard, SW Waterfront

Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM

101 posts, read 275,599 times
The cities and metros are apples and oranges in my opinion, though both have a high percentage of affluent and well-educated people. D.C. definitely has it's **** together economically.

I think it comes down to what you prefer and what the area has to offer. I love D.C.'s location along the Northeast Corridor, the Metro and all the nice burbs. I like the Bay Area's topography and scenic beauty. I love SF's diversity, beauty, culture and restaurants, but I agree with other posters that our public transportation is lacking. I don't need 'night life' per se but it seems D.C.'s is great. The abundance of happy hour places sounds fun, I will have to search those out on my next visit because every time I've visited D.C. I have found it really boring both as an child and adult.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
Overunder12,
DC party areas
Adams Morgan
Georgetown
Chinatown/Penn Quarter
U Street
Dupont Circle
14th & K Street area (LIMA, LOTUS, THE PARK, K STREET LOUNGE, ETC)
H Street NE - Yes, the white people have turned it into a gritty party area with scores of bars and dives. LOL
Connecticut Ave South & M Street Area (OZIOS, RUMORS, CAMELOT ETC)

Coming soon: Navy Yard, SW Waterfront
I know DC pretty well and know most of those areas, and I did forget Georgetown - but none of the other areas even compare to San Francisco's second-tier nightlife districts (Polk Street, Marina, etc). Also, outside of Adams-Morgan, DC does not have the street vibrancy that SFs nightlife areas have.

I will agree DC has better nighlife for African-Americans (clearly), but SF has better hispanic nightlife.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post

I will agree DC has better nighlife for African-Americans (clearly), but SF has better hispanic nightlife.
Very true! I think you have to go out to the suburbs like langley park to most latin nightlife. D.C. doesn't have a major hispanic or asian population so most of the nightlife is black or white. But the suburbs do have great hispanic and asian spots. Also, you have to add Bethesda, Silver Spring, Alexandria, Crystal City and the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor which are all right in D.C. basically. It really isn't close when it comes to different places to party in D.C. because it's enormous edge cities make it a different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City