Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:03 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's literally the second most populated downtown after Manhattan. Depending on metrics used, Chicago and Philly are the 2nd and 3rd downtowns in the US. SF is not 2nd or 3rd. Sorry. And it is definitely not LA, DC, or Boston.
A recurring theme on C/D is posters authoritatively declaring SF to have one of the greatest downtowns in the nation, and then revealing that they don't actually know where the geographic boundaries of it are, what the population of it is, unable to name a significant cultural institution there, etc...

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...r-13242760.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 11:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevielake View Post
I prefer living spread out, my old block in Philadelphia had single houses with single driveways
Where was this? Roxborough? Chestnut Hill? Far Northeast?

Old 05-16-2020, 07:36 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
It would be cool if Philly and New York grew into One Metropolitan Area kinda like Tokyo-Osaka Japan, I wonder how L.A would fare in the polls if that happened

Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
It would be cool if Philly and New York grew into One Metropolitan Area kinda like Tokyo-Osaka Japan, I wonder how L.A would fare in the polls if that happened
They are too far away to ever be considered One Metropolitan Area. They are 90 miles apart (1 hour, 30 mins) away from each other. Even if they were to become one metro area "on paper," they would still operate and be viewed as, as 2 independent cities. So it would have no impact on polls like this, since people would not realistically view them as one area.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:44 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
A recurring theme on C/D is posters authoritatively declaring SF to have one of the greatest downtowns in the nation, and then revealing that they don't actually know where the geographic boundaries of it are, what the population of it is, unable to name a significant cultural institution there, etc...

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...r-13242760.php
I don't think most people could name the official boundaries (aside from obvious ones like bodies of water or freeways) of most downtowns or what their populations are. I do think that most could name a significant cultural institution or civil landmark located there though.

Downtown is essentially the urban heart of a city, regardless of what the municipal government or civic organizations say it is in terms of official boundaries.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:29 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Criteria:
- Weather Philadelphia (I prefer 4 seasons)
- Scenery Los Angeles
- Economy Los Angeles
- Education [b]Los Angeles/B]
- Parks Philadelphia
- Waterfront Philadelphia
- Downtown activity Philadelphia I'm still finding out things to do in Center City living here 14 years.
- Shopping Los Angeles
- DiversityLos Angeles
- Housing stock Philadelphia
- Nightlife Los Angeles
- School systems (K-12) Los Angeles
- Higher education (Colleges & Universities) Tie This question is subjective, "best ___ schools in the USA" rankings doesn't make it the best choice, too many variables: major, price range, jobs in area, ect...
- Mass Transit Philadelphia
- Niche Industry (What are they for either?)
- Pace of life Tie Philadelphia is very laid back for an east coast city
- Safety Tie I doubt anyone here will purposefully wonder into the shady- high crime areas, so you should be well off in either city.
- Quality of life Tie
- Cost of living Philadelphia
- Dining scene Los Angeles

Questions:
- Which one would you rather live in? And why? Los Angeles, but I'd most-likely return back to Philadelphia within a few years, I have a love-hate relationship with this city, whenever I go away I always get homesick and when I return, I remember why I left.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:27 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
They are too far away to ever be considered One Metropolitan Area. They are 90 miles apart (1 hour, 30 mins) away from each other. Even if they were to become one metro area "on paper," they would still operate and be viewed as, as 2 independent cities. So it would have no impact on polls like this, since people would not realistically view them as one area.
Ohhhh I see

Oops I meant Like Tokyo-Yokohama (same metro) Not Tokyo Osaka (different metros) . But if Philly New York became one Metro I Suppose Los Angeles and San Diego would do the same, so the poll result would even out

Old 05-16-2020, 05:47 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Ohhhh I see

Oops I meant Like Tokyo-Yokohama (same metro) Not Tokyo Osaka (different metros) . But if Philly New York became one Metro I Suppose Los Angeles and San Diego would do the same, so the poll result would even out
In between LA and SD there's this Marine base called Camp Pendleton. Unless and until it closes, it will absolutely prevent the two metros from growing toward each other.

Not to mention that the two cities are 30 miles farther apart from each other than New York and Philadelphia are.

Depending on how the commuting patterns work out, however, I could see the Philadephia and New York CSAs turning into one megaregion some decades hence. Mercer County is already contested territory: Middlesex Countians (New York CSA) commuting to work in the Princeton area has already led to its shifting from the Philadelphia CSA to the New York CSA, even though it remains in Philadelphia's media market (and the sports team allegiances most Mercerites display bears this out as well). Affluent New Yorkers have been buying properties in Bucks County as well.

But just as Baltimore maintains a distinct identity as a metropolitan center despite being a mere 30 miles from Washington, I doubt that Philadelphia and New York will ever function as one metro even in the way Dallas and Fort Worth do.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In between LA and SD there's this Marine base called Camp Pendleton. Unless and until it closes, it will absolutely prevent the two metros from growing toward each other.

Not to mention that the two cities are 30 miles farther apart from each other than New York and Philadelphia are.
Pendelton doesn't go that far inland. San Diego will continue to expand north along the 15 towards LA-IE.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Criteria:
- Weather Philadelphia (I prefer 4 seasons)
- Scenery Los Angeles
- Economy Los Angeles
- Education [b]Los Angeles/B]
- Parks Philadelphia
- Waterfront Philadelphia
- Downtown activity Philadelphia I'm still finding out things to do in Center City living here 14 years.
- Shopping Los Angeles
- DiversityLos Angeles
- Housing stock Philadelphia
- Nightlife Los Angeles
- School systems (K-12) Los Angeles
- Higher education (Colleges & Universities) Tie This question is subjective, "best ___ schools in the USA" rankings doesn't make it the best choice, too many variables: major, price range, jobs in area, ect...
- Mass Transit Philadelphia
- Niche Industry (What are they for either?)
- Pace of life Tie Philadelphia is very laid back for an east coast city
- Safety Tie I doubt anyone here will purposefully wonder into the shady- high crime areas, so you should be well off in either city.
- Quality of life Tie
- Cost of living Philadelphia
- Dining scene Los Angeles

Questions:
- Which one would you rather live in? And why? Los Angeles, but I'd most-likely return back to Philadelphia within a few years, I have a love-hate relationship with this city, whenever I go away I always get homesick and when I return, I remember why I left.
I pretty much agree with all of your rankings, except I'd give a "tie" for education and school systems. I'd also give Niche Industry to LA because, well, Hollywood.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Try to remember why you missed it. As someone who did not grow up here, I feel like Philadelphia is a fantastic place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City