Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times

Advertisements

Okay but there is more than one source for this kinda of stuff. The Michelin guide is the most prestigious, but doesn't mean AAA has no merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Okay but there is more than one source for this kinda of stuff. The Michelin guide is the most prestigious, but doesn't mean AAA has no merit.
If I pointed a list to you, that had San Antonio with a few restaurants and dazzled you with pictures of San Antonio would it also have merit?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM

Of course thats a foolish question.

Anyway here is AAA's source.

AAA/CAA DIAMOND RATING FACTS
As one of the world’s largest travel information publishers, AAA provides consumers with all of the tools needed to plan an entire vacation. Popular resources include AAA Diamond Ratings, travel guidebooks, maps, the TripTik® Travel Planner and online travel bookings.
AAA/CAA’s 65 full-time tourism editors evaluate and rate more than 58,000 lodgings and restaurants each year, more than any other rating entity.
It is the only rating system that covers the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and it is one of only two that conduct physical, on-site evaluations.
AAA’s unique rating system makes quality a given for all AAA Approved properties. Regardless of rating, every Approved property has been deemed acceptable for AAA members. To be eligible for evaluation, establishments meet AAA’s minimum requirements for lodgings (concerning cleanliness, comfort and security) or AAA’s minimum requirements for restaurants (pertaining to cleanliness, food preparation and service).
The Diamond Ratings guide members in selecting establishments appropriately matched to their needs and expectations.
Only 0.28 percent of the AAA Diamond Rated properties receive the prestigious Five Diamond Award designation.
AAA/CAA DIAMOND RATING RESOURCES
AAA publishes 26 regional TourBook guides covering the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean and 11 regional CampBook guides covering the United States and Canada.
TourBook listings include 58,000 AAA Approved and Diamond Rated lodgings and restaurants, 15,200 AAA Approved attractions, 22,000 events and 6,800 destinations. Members requested more than 18 million guides last year through their AAA and CAA club offices.
AAA distributes more than 64 million copies of printed travel-related materials to members and consumers annually. In addition, AAA distributes online information and services to travelers who account for 40 million AAA.com visits annually.
On AAA.com, members can search AAA TourBook listings and book their stays at Diamond Rated hotels at low AAA member prices.
AAA members who visit AAA.com to book a room with one of AAA’s hotel partners are more likely to find a better rate there than on other leading Web sites. In a review of several online travel booking sites, AAA.com offered AAA members the best daily hotel rate on partner hotels 67 percent of the time, according to a recent survey.
AAA travel information is integrated with the TripTik® Travel Planner on AAA.com. Of the 20.5 million TripTik routings created last year, approximately 17.5 million were generated online, by members and counselors.
The AAA TripTik Travel Planner is an interactive mapping, routing and travel planning tool that is available free at AAA.com. This online routing resource includes detailed maps, turn-by-turn directions, AAA travel information and hotel bookings.
The assignment of a AAA rating of One to Five Diamonds marks the completion of a successful annual evaluation. All properties must first meet AAA’s rigorous requirements to become AAA Approved® establishments.
AAA’s Diamond Rating System is the only ratings system that covers all of North America and one of only two that conducts physical, on-site evaluations. It is the only system that uses full-time, professionally trained evaluators to inspect each property on an annual basis using a set of guidelines that are made available to all establishments. AAA evaluates more properties than any other rating entity. Additionally, AAA provides travelers the opportunity to post comments about their experiences at AAA Approved and Diamond Rated establishments at AAA.com. Information about AAA Diamond Ratings and the complete 2009 Five Diamond Award winners lists are accessible at AAA.com/News. As North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 51 million members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at www.aaa.com redirect

Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
AAA Diamond has merits, for sure. Not saying that it doesn't.

But AAA Diamond was put together by AAA the Automobile Insurance & Travel Company, its a broader brush per se, because it takes the best restaurants every city has to offer and does a review on them. So basically almost all and nearly every big city gets a special shout out in there somewhere. Which is totally fine because like I said earlier every big city has their phenomenal top league restaurants.

Michelin Guide in contrast is just a step up though, see AAA takes "the best" and Michelin Guide takes only the "best of the best" and only spends time promoting those cities. They go to nearly every big city in the country also, but they only do their review on the best of the best dining cities, which are now New York City, Chicago, & San Francisco.

Last year it was New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, & Las Vegas but both Las Vegas & Los Angeles got removed (Chicago got brought in for the first time), a lot of the top level professional chefs in both cities have left for elsewhere (due to a horrid economy) and many of their prestigious restaurants have packed up and left altogether.

I don't mean to take anything away from your list, but it really does undermine both Chicago & San Francisco, in my opinion for where they should honorably be. It also undermines a few other big cities that have not only made remarkable strides but also have gained prospective respect in the dining community with an exceptional dining scene.

The methodology for AAA Diamond is very limited compared to Michelin Guide, not to say its bad or anything but its just not extensive enough to take a ranking all too seriously. I am glad that some cities are getting a good show per se out of this though. Any ranking is a great method at marketing.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Hehe, didn't you just say it was bogus or podunk ?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
AAA Diamond has merits, for sure. Not saying that it doesn't.

But AAA Diamond was put together by AAA the Automobile Insurance & Travel Company, its a broader brush per se, because it takes the best restaurants every city has to offer and does a review on them. So basically almost all and nearly every big city gets a special shout out in there somewhere. Which is totally fine because like I said earlier every big city has their phenomenal top league restaurants.

Michelin Guide in contrast is just a step up though, see AAA takes "the best" and Michelin Guide takes only the "best of the best" and only spends time promoting those cities. They go to nearly every big city in the country also, but they only do their review on the best of the best dining cities, which are now New York City, Chicago, & San Francisco.

Last year it was New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, & Las Vegas but both Las Vegas & Los Angeles got removed (Chicago got brought in for the first time), a lot of the top level professional chefs in both cities have left for elsewhere (due to a horrid economy) and many of their prestigious restaurants have packed up and left altogether.

I don't mean to take anything away from your list, but it really does undermine both Chicago & San Francisco, in my opinion for where they should honorably be. It also undermines a few other big cities that have not only made remarkable strides but also have gained prospective respect in the dining community with an exceptional dining scene.

The methodology for AAA Diamond is very limited compared to Michelin Guide, not to say its bad or anything but its just not extensive enough to take a ranking all too seriously. I am glad that some cities are getting a good show per se out of this though. Any ranking is a great method at marketing.
Exactly... Phoenix and Miami over SF?? Give me a break.. Vegas double Chi/SF? ha ha ha

Houston so low? Also... no. it should be over Phoenix and Miami as well as several others on that list.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Hehe, didn't you just say it was bogus or podunk ?
Yeah for me, I don't take any ranking seriously at all, whether it favors my city or not. For me its exceptionally rare when a ranking agency "impresses" me on their methodology, but I am always down to talk and have a conversation about any ranking.

I also look up methodology and how far they go back and any other mishaps and whatever with all rankings. I'm just trying to give AAA its credit for what it deserves without letting my "Anti-Ranking" biases show up. Michelin Guide is practically the only ranking so far that has garnered any respect from me thus far, I suppose and am willing to explore other rankings also to find another in precision.

It's just me on this, I do encourage others to go by what they want. But rankings to me, are generally a bit of a waste. Like I can assure you, I can quite possibly have a baller time in a Mongolian restaurant in San Antonio more so than some of their 5 star rated restaurants in San Antonio.

Almost a personal guarantee from me on that.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Yea...it's all up to ones taste buds. As for me... I'm pleased easily. But i'm sure people pick up one of these publications and go patronage these places.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 PM

205 posts, read 298,717 times
Hahaha, DC sucks.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Exactly... Phoenix and Miami over SF?? Give me a break.. Vegas double Chi/SF? ha ha ha

Houston so low? Also... no. it should be over Phoenix and Miami as well as several others on that list.
Actually Michelin is not up to the task. They lacked the resources in 2010 to do Las Vegas and LA and don't do the rest of the country.

Michelin is a very good guide to cuisine raised to the highest idiot level...and not much else.

Las Vegas cuisine cleans the clock of all the US cities with perhaps an exception for NYC. SF is a great food city in its own mind...but that view likely does not reach to those who live outside it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City