Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Atlanta?
Miami 52 43.70%
Atlanta 59 49.58%
tie 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That wasn't the premise.

The poster said Buckhead has the highest concentration of luxury shopping in the U.S., point blank. Put in context, this was in comparison to Manhattan.

So do you think that was an accurate, fair, or clear statement? Or was it just being a homer on their part in an effort to boost Buckhead and/or Atlanta higher than it is in actuality?

I mean you certainly don't have to comment. I was just pointing out that this is stuff that people do say on here. The main point is, that some people should just take it down a notch. If people presented Atlanta as it is more often, you wouldn't get the flaming you see on here. Now that certainly isn't the only reason Atlanta is getting flamed, but it definitely contributes to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
And while were on Lenox, you may look down on it because it is a mall (I wish it were along the street, but when it was built it made sense to make it a mall) but because of it and Phipps across the street, Buckhead has the highest concentration of upscale boutiques of any district in the country. So there goes a density figure for you. Upscale density
This is what I am reading. You can twist and turn it anyway you see fit to turn it into boosting, but if anything positive is said about Atlanta it is boosting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Some inconsistent things I've noticed among the ATL bashers in this thread.

1. None of the want to talk about the GDP from both cities for obvious reason. They know ATLs is higher with less population..and I'm only saying less population becuase someone bragged about Miami having 100k more people.

2.They nitpick about murder rates being 18/100 vs 20/100 in Miamis favor, ignore and put down the total violent crime rate which is higher in Miami and claim "I'm a dude, I won't get raped or robbed" to justify it. Yet, Miami's full 2% lead in unemployment is conviently not a big deal.

3. The ignore Florida residence who say that Miami is not a good place to live,knowing full well if it's the reverse they would be riding coat tails. I want them to tell all the Florida transplants in my neighborhood that they made a bad choice, since apparently these ATL bashers know better.

4. Stats are posted in ATLs favor like family friendlyness and reviews and the ATL bashers thin the ATL defenders are stepping out of line. Yet, when they do it it's ok.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,286 times
Polo, your boy Wade is a girl. The Black Mamba would have dunked on Howard, fell, and ran back down the court.

I like Miami as a city but the Flames are right up there with Boston.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Some inconsistent I noticed.

1. They cant admit that Atlanta has a high crime rate compared to most cities

2. They cant admit Atlanta is the posterchild for suburban sprawl which even urban planners in Atlanta clearly state

3. They cant admit that Miami is affordable, has better school systems, is safer, and has better scenery but lacks colleges of Atlanta

4. They cant admit their sports scene hasnt won this millennium, last time was 1999

5. They cant prove how Atlanta is richer than Miami or Birmingham on per capita income

6. Atlantans wont admit they have a lot of trailer parks in their city proper and push Miami to look like a 3rd world slum

7. They think their fashion and shopping is on Miami's level

8. They think their city is livable without a car, and wont admit that MARTA is a weak system

9. They cant prove how their city is more important than Miami without saying "Airport, CDC, Chikfila, Home Depot, and Coke"

10. Atlantans cant admit that their economy is worse than most of the US, double digit unemployment ring any bells, ring ring ring, the economy is calling ATL

11. Atlantans deny that they have unimpressive and ugly scenery, Atlanta doesnt have mountains, oceans, canyons, beaches, valleys, grand rivers and lakes... its just partly hilly and nothing impressive

This thread would be more civilized if yous guys would not bash Miami for being a 3rd world slum and other made up things and accept that it has many qualities better than Atlanta's and that Atlanta has flaws. Miami is not 3rd world, travel to a 3rd world country if you want to see what it looks like..

Last edited by Infamous Past; 02-03-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,468 times
I believe when someone starts thread topic of this nature they have to be more expansive on what or how much of a city they are comparing,because the City of Miami is very small(55 sq. miles )as is Atlanta versus the Metropolitan areas of each statistically speaking.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
This is what I am reading. You can twist and turn it anyway you see fit to turn it into boosting, but if anything positive is said about Atlanta it is boosting.
Do you mean like the new development in Buckhead will make Atlanta look like the Tokyo of the south? Or that Atlanta is more similar to Brooklyn? or a mini-NYC? Perhaps that Atlanta is more liberal than Chicago? The shopping quote is just one of MANY absurd claims. Me, the one twisting? Hardly.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post

1. They cant admit that Atlanta has a high crime rate compared to most cities
nope
The 25 U.S. cities and metros with the highest crime rates |

Quote:
2. They cant admit Atlanta is the posterchild for suburban sprawl which even urban planners in Atlanta clearly state
nope
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=26904448

Quote:
3. They cant admit that Miami is affordable, has better school systems, is safer, and has better scenery but lacks colleges of Atlanta

nope

http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWi...ll_Result.aspx

Quote:
4. They cant admit their sports scene has won this millennium, last time was 1999

don't care
Quote:
5. They cant prove how Atlanta is richer than Miami or Birmingham on per capita income
Atlanta GDP: 304

Miami GDP: 294 (with more people)

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Estimated median household income in 2009: $30,481 (it was $26,735 in 2000)
Birmingham: $30,481
Alabama: $40,489
Estimated per capita income in 2009: $19,157

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Birmin...#ixzz1CxKuaAqp

Estimated median household income in 2009: $49,981 (it was $34,770 in 2000)
Atlanta: $49,981
Georgia: $47,590
Estimated per capita income in 2009: $36,912

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Atlant...#ixzz1CxL3bNPH

Estimated median household income in 2009: $28,999 (it was $23,483 in 2000)
Miami: $28,999
Florida: $44,736
Estimated per capita income in 2009: $19,449

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Miami-...#ixzz1CxLDObfG

Quote:
6. Atlantans wont admit they have a lot of trailer parks in their city proper and push Miami to look like a 3rd world slum
There aren't any. Please show them to me.

Quote:
7. They think their fashion and shopping is on Miami's level
This never came up.

Quote:
8. They think their city is livable without a car, and wont admit that MARTA is a weak system
Marta has more ridership then Miami system. Been proven, look it up and you need a car there too.

Quote:
9. They cant prove how their city is more important than Miami without saying "Airport, CDC, Chikfila, Home Depot, and Coke"
Never said one was more important then the other. Atlanta does have more companies and jobs.

Quote:
10. Atlantans cant admit that their economy is worse than most of the US, double digit unemployment ring any bells, ring ring ring, the economy is calling ATL
So does Miami and San Fran?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
My internet is slow right now, so I can't tell.

Trail-R-Inn Mobile Home Park 331 Elizabeth Street Northeast, Atlanta, GA 30307-1962

Is that a trailer park?

I think this place used to sell trailers but not anymore

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=traile...WBCJGANYDT1M0N

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1505+C...BE2A_-q11tEKaA
Here is a marta stop, and a place that sells rv's though. Why a Marta stop there? Look desolate. But less than 5 miles from Midtown.

Last edited by grapico; 02-03-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
My internet is slow right now, so I can't tell.

Trail-R-Inn Mobile Home Park 331 Elizabeth Street Northeast, Atlanta, GA 30307-1962

Is that a trailer park?

I think this place used to sell trailers but not anymore

Google Maps
Are you too lazy to click your own link?

That was an empty lot....

Quote:
1505 Chattahoochee Ave Nw, #60, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps
Here is a marta stop, and a place that sells rv's though. Why a Marta stop there? Look desolate. But less than 5 miles from Midtown.
There is a bus stop there because there are bunch of warehouses and factories in that area.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
waronxmas said Atlanta has the highest concentration of luxury shopping in the U.S., do you agree with him?
No, I never said that.

What I said is that between Lenox and Phipps, it has the largest concentration of luxury shops (ie the most luxury shops in a given single area) of any city in America. This is completely different than saying Atlanta has the most luxury shopping of any city in America. In other words, other cities like say NYC or LA or Miami have more luxury shopping all together. Just not in a single concentration larger than what is found in Buckhead. A distinct that you will neither acknowledge nor understand I'm sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City