Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Malls have Sunbelt soul ....I'll never understand why folks are so obsessed with things being European. Is America not good enough for you?
Not obsessed, just preferable. Remember, many people haven't been over here that long and/or still have family over there. I'm certainly not bashful about my preference for Europe over the States, economy aside. I'm not an armchair observer, I've lived over there and have also done 5 trips to the continent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Malls have Sunbelt soul ....I'll never understand why folks are so obsessed with things being European. Is America not good enough for you?
No I'm quite happy in my corner of America thank you. In the sunbelt places like New Orleans, Savannah, San Antonio, and Charleston have soul. I don't see how dime a dozen chain stores that could be found almost anywhere, albeit upscale ones still scattered in many major cities have soul. That doesn't add any special appeal to a place. So chew on that before throwing the tired patriotism card on the table.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
No I'm quite happy in my corner of America thank you. In the sunbelt places like New Orleans, Savannah, San Antonio, and Charleston have soul. I don't see how dime a dozen chain stores that could be found almost anywhere, albeit upscale ones still scattered in many major cities have soul. That doesn't add any special appeal to a place. So chew on that before throwing the tired patriotism card on the table.
Hey, I'm black...hardly the quintessential "patriot". And so great, you visited the downtown areas of these cities and discovered their charm, but obviously didn't care to observe the rest of their area and see that it's nothing but sprawlsville, just like the rest of the South. The majority of San Antonio lives in the dime-a-dozen chain store world, and we're pretty damn happy down here, if that's alright with you. Besides, whether or not a place has charm is completely relative. The Northeastern/European shopping experience is completely overrated, in my opinion (but then I'm a guy, so shopping in and of itself isn't much of an experience anyway). And you're the one who threw in the charm/character argument when I wasn't even talking about that.

I'm guessing you haven't heard of Highland Park Village? It's been an upscale Dallas icon since the 1930s, and still attracts some of the most prominent names in fashion. It isn't another extremely walkable destination for those who want to pretend they're in Europe , but it's a national landmark with some historical value.

And I think what you mean to say about those other cities is that they have a soul, because believe me, there's not much Soulful about Boston lol.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you haven't heard of Highland Park Village? It's been an upscale Dallas icon since the 1930s, and still attracts some of the most prominent names in fashion. It isn't another extremely walkable destination for those who want to pretend they're in Europe , but it's a national landmark with some historical value.
I'm not sure why all of a sudden people are trying to act like the whole "walkable" thing is just a weak attempt to sound European. It's not. In my opinion it's a much, much more convenient way to live. It's not even close from what I've experienced.

Quote:
And I think what you mean to say about those other cities is that they have a soul, because believe me, there's not much Soulful about Boston lol.
If by "soul" you mean black, then ya I can agree...if not, that's sort of an odd statement.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not sure why all of a sudden people are trying to act like the whole "walkable" thing is just a weak attempt to sound European. It's not. In my opinion it's a much, much more convenient way to live. It's not even close from what I've experienced.

If by "soul" you mean black, then ya I can agree...if not, that's sort of an odd statement.
I'm just joking with them lol.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
oh ok haha, my bad

Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
The Irish have lots of soul.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The Irish have lots of soul.
...got that Celtic soul

Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm black...hardly the quintessential "patriot". And so great, you visited the downtown areas of these cities and discovered their charm, but obviously didn't care to observe the rest of their area and see that it's nothing but sprawlsville, just like the rest of the South. The majority of San Antonio lives in the dime-a-dozen chain store world, and we're pretty damn happy down here, if that's alright with you. Besides, whether or not a place has charm is completely relative. The Northeastern/European shopping experience is completely overrated, in my opinion (but then I'm a guy, so shopping in and of itself isn't much of an experience anyway). And you're the one who threw in the charm/character argument when I wasn't even talking about that.

You chimed in by saying......

Quote:
and then contradicted yourself by saying you’re a guy and shopping is not much of an experience anyway. So what exactly is so soulful about Dallas since the topography there is about as compelling as waiting for the bus. What do you claim about Boston that is soulless? If you're talking community or sports then you actually have some substance, which both Boston and Dallas have legendary traditions in. The counterpoint I was addressing was by a poster boasting about the malls and upscale chain stores found in Dallas, yet those are found everywhere else. Yes I went to Highland Park, Uptown, and Turtle Creek. I'll admit they were beautiful neighborhoods and HP reminded me of some posh LA neighborhoods. But downtown Fort Worth and downtown San Antonio had a much bigger imprint on my mind as it captured the essence and history of Texas that most outside of the state have somewhere in our minds. Dallas just strikes me as a place for business, not much of a destination otherwise.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-07-2011 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
You chimed in by saying......

and then contradicted yourself by saying you’re a guy and shopping is not much of an experience anyway. So what exactly is so soulful about Dallas since the topography there is about as compelling as waiting for the bus. What do you claim about Boston that is soulless? If you're talking community or sports then you actually have some substance, which both Boston and Dallas have legendary traditions in. The counterpoint I was addressing was by a poster boasting about the malls and upscale chain stores found in Dallas, yet those are found everywhere else.
Have you ever shopped in Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City