Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times

Advertisements

Maybe I had too much caffeine today! I'm posting WAY to much, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
You chimed in by saying......

and then contradicted yourself by saying you’re a guy and shopping is not much of an experience anyway. So what exactly is so soulful about Dallas since the topography there is about as compelling as waiting for the bus. What do you claim about Boston that is soulless? If you're talking community or sports then you actually have some substance, which both Boston and Dallas have legendary traditions in. The counterpoint I was addressing was by a poster boasting about the malls and upscale chain stores found in Dallas, yet those are found everywhere else. Yes I went to Highland Park, Uptown, and Turtle Creek. I'll admit they were beautiful neighborhoods and HP reminded me of some posh LA neighborhoods. But downtown Fort Worth and downtown San Antonio had a much bigger imprint on my mind as it captured the essence and history of Texas that most outside of the state have somewhere in our minds. Dallas just strikes me as a place for business, not much of a destination otherwise.
I'm talking about my first comment. All I said is I thought Dallas was the better shopping city and here comes the talk about "charm" and "soul". It then becomes a discussion about Dallas' terrain being as interesting as waiting on the bus

I'd rather shop in Dallas than in Boston. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Have you ever shopped in Dallas?
No, I ate a a few good restaurants though and I had seen Highland Park and West Village. Tell me, do you shop at Gucci, Saks, Barneys, and Burberry regularly?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm talking about my first comment. All I said is I thought Dallas was the better shopping city and here comes the talk about "charm" and "soul". It then becomes a discussion about Dallas' terrain being as interesting as waiting on the bus

I'd rather shop in Dallas than in Boston. Let's just leave it at that.
You are entitled to your preferences and opinions as I am to mine. I enjoy a more cohesive and charming neighborhoods to add to the ambiance of shopping. Also that is not limited to Europe and the northeastern US. Shop at the malls of Dallas to your hearts conetent, the point I was addressing is malls don't really set Dallas apart from anywhere else except perhaps for the quantity of them that Dallas has. One could have a simalar mall experiece in the suburbs west of Boston, Westchester County, NY, Scottsdale, AZ, or Orange County, CA.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
No, I ate a a few good restaurants though and I had seen Highland Park and West Village. Tell me, do you shop at Gucci, Saks, Barneys, and Burberry regularly?
Nope, but I do shop at the mall where those stores are located.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,276 times
Boston all day for me.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
NorthPark Center is a upscale mall in Dallas, TX. It was built in 1965 as the largest climate-controlled retail establishment in the world. NorthPark Center is the most popular shopping center in North Texas with over 27 million visitors a year; it’s one of the top five shopping destinations in the USA. Northpark has annual sales of more than $1 billion dollars. H&M will open a store at NorthPark this year.

NorthPark Center had its first expansion in 2005. It increased the size of the mall to 2 million sq ft. NorthPark's interior hasn't changed since it was built in 1965. The expansion matched the original design.

Department Stores

Dillard's (299,500 sq ft) Flagship Store
Macy's (250,000 sq ft) Flagship Store
Barneys New York (84,000 sq ft) Flagship Store
Nordstrom (200,000 sq ft)
Neiman-Marcus (214,000 sq ft)

Former Department Stores

Titche-Goettinger (1965-1979) Joske's (1979-1987) Now Dillard's
Lord and Taylor (1974-2006) Now Barneys New York
JCPenney (1965-1990s) Demolished now Macy's is on the site
Foley's (1997-2005) Now Macy's

Theater

AMC Theaters 15 (80,000 sq ft)

Here's some pics (The two story part of the mall is the expansion.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/NP_Dillards.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yeah I've never heard of a soul in my life that thinks Dallas is full of rich people who shop at Neiman Marcus, this is the first I've heard of that. Everyone I know out of state thinks its a place where there's a lot of pick up drivers, cowboys, horse riders, 10 gallon hat wearers, cowboy boot wearing oil barren.

I've lived abroad, so I already know what people abroad think of Dallas, and that is a story for another time, and it has nothing to do with Cowboys or anything, its the standard American stereotype.
I completely disagree. I'm not from there but lived there briefly growing up and Dallas has always had the reputation of money, wealth, flash and beautiful woman. My father's job transfered us to Dallas. I remember going to the Dallas Cowboy home games. They were so different. Everyone was dressed to the nines!! The cheerleaders were like no other. Texas Stadium with its hole in the roof and the luxury boxes were like no other. Caviar was floating everywhere. The fans cheered but many just clapped. Of course there was the 'Dallas' soap opera. Do you remember the spread in National Geographic magazine about Dallas back in the 80's. Again it talked about wealth, power, woman and so on. There was even a brief reality show about Dallas just a couple of years ago. On that show was the 60ish female real estate agent who sold homes to Dallas' rich and famous. They showed her driving around with her convertible Mercedes, attending the parties of the rich, and selling multi million dollar estates to them. The same show had the handsome plastic surgeon who's clients were all beautiful rich Dallas woman. It was hilarious. And yes, we shopped at NM in dt Dallas and Northpark. We also use to head dt to catch the window displays at NM during the holiday season. We weren't rich but Dallas was fun back in the day.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
I'd rather walk from shop to shop in a downtown environment than an enclosed mall. More variety, less sterile

Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
How was it a failure though? It was one of the most watch SBs in history if not THE most watched. The game itself and the venue were fine. I don't like that suburban wasteland that is Arlington, but the game was fine, and the events held in Fort Worth were pretty good. You can't blame the winter weather on the city, or even the lack of preparation for such since we get that kind of weather very seldom.
Tell that to the people who lost their tickets because some of the temporary seating wasn't built properly...I guess you can't blame them though, they only had 1 month to complete a task that takes a week at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City