Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the most powerful city in the US?
No 213 66.15%
Yes 109 33.85%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
No y'all don't....
Then who does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
I think any city that has the power to raise or lower taxes, put martial law on nation, distribute currency, send troops to foreign nations, createpolicies, etc must be the powerful city. So once again, DC must be the most powerful city in the US. The thing about DC is that its in a strange scenario, if NYC collaspes so does most of the globe but if DC collaspes it can be replaced overtime though that isn't the case for NYC. So I think DC is more powerful in the now, but NYC is the most powerful for the globe.

Last edited by BMORE; 07-19-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
DC is more powerful. New York is infinitely more influential and globally recognized...but it does not have the sheer power that DC has. New York can ruin America's economy. DC can ruin almost every facet of Americans' lives if the politicians there really wanted to.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I think any city that has the power to raise or lower taxes, put martial law on nation, distribute currency, send troops to foreign nations, createpolicies, etc must be the powerful city. So once again, DC must be the most powerful city in the US. The thing about DC is that its in a strange scenario, if NYC collaspes so does most of the globe but if DC collaspes it can be replaced overtime though that isn't the case for NYC. So I think DC is more powerful in the now, but NYC is the most powerful for the globe.
It never cease to amaze me when people contradict themselves. Lol

We all have opinions.
I wish I knew that quote in another thread about this, but I don't feel like (or care to) search for it.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
After reading over this entire thread, I find that we all need to separate power and influence. The definition of power is:
the capacity of ability to direct or influence the behavior of others over a course of events. Political or social authority esp. excersised by a government
With that said clearly the District of Columbia has more power nationally than New York City does but NYC is either the first or second most powerful on a global stage. To undermine either industry each city has is truly ridiculous. NYC practically plays the role in keeping our wealth, while DC plays the role of distributing that wealth. NYC along with 50 states pays DC bills (although they aren't being paid very well) but DC offers something tremendous in return, the power for NYC to stay as a premier city of the world, for America to continue to be wealthy, and for the globe to someday become a safe place.

DC needs NYC, NYC needs DC. It's almost as if they balance each other out which is one great thing about our nation.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 AM

163 posts, read 259,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
Then who does
We do!
DC all day

Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
We do!
DC all day
NAAAAAAAA NYC spanks DC at everything

Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,821 times
NY governs most of the world's economy, but DC has the Hill, the Pentagon and Langley. One could render the world bankrupt (almost!), the other could rewrite the entire government to become a post-Marxist Kleptocracy or blow up half of the earth with doomsday devices.

Tough Call

Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 PM

72 posts, read 121,645 times
It is hard to separate NYC and DC in terms of power: NYC money influences DC politics; DC politics impact and influence NYC industries.

The "NYC control of finances" argument reminds me of a quote from N. Rothschild: "Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws". NYC is the most powerful financial center in the world; but, at the same time, the Fed and the Treasury are both headquartered in DC. Also, according to the 2014 "Index of Economic Freedom," the US govt spent 41.6% of the total US GDP. This makes the government the largest spender in the economy.

Finance really does influence just about everything else in society; but, at the same time, it is just one form of power – among many. If you are talking about total power, in all of society, across many dimensions, then I would give my vote to DC, due to the fact that it is the center of government. DC has control of the government, which:

1.) Sets the laws and regulations for the country.
2.) Prints the money on which the entire economy runs (and which also happens to be the world's primary reserve currency).
3.) Sets the base interest rate for the entire country.
4.) Is the largest spender in the economy.
5.) Has control of the most powerful military that the world has ever known.

I love NYC, and have tremendous respect for NYC as a center of finance, advertising, fashion, arts, etc. The greater NYC region exerts tremendous economic power and influence. But, if we are talking about which city has the most power (on many dimensions), I would have to go with DC.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
I believe that NYC and DC are the most powerful in their own realms, and I am even going to throw Los Angeles into the discussion. NYC is the most powerful city in terms of economics and finance. DC is the most powerful city in terms of military and politics. Los Angeles is the most powerful city in terms of culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City