Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the most powerful city in the US?
No 213 66.15%
Yes 109 33.85%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I'm not even going to debate it any longer. The bold above is a great example! NYC actually created/s things for the countries benefit (The NEW YORK stock exchange) the government was PLACED in DC. Huge difference.

Why are you guys repeating the same thing? Yes the government is there, great. Check for politics. What other things are you guys number 1 for/bring to the table for the world (BESIDES GOVERNMENT)? We will all wait for the response.

NYC offers WAY MORE than just Finance for USA. Media,Culture,Influence etc.

Oh look at this. . .

Read it and weep

BOOM. END OF THREAD! Dc is a great place but it's not the most powerful for USA.
The comments on that website are funny

LOL, even DC folks don't think of their city anywhere near NY.

Quote:
New York is the greatest city in the world, built on one of the best natural harbors in the world. DC is a ****hole built on a swamp and covered in assy greco-roman architecture. End of story.
Quote:
are you kidding me? this is a sleepy southern town with some halfway decent neighborhoods. the anything goes activities that you're suddenly learning about have been here for generations. ofcourse, i'm ancient and i remember 20 years ago when there were bootleggers selling corn liquor off the back of pickup trucks 10 blocks from the whitehouse and
it had nothing to do with marion barry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I can see both sides of this argument, but I agree with this line of reasoning. DC is immensely powerful, but its an enjoinder. All of its power is assumed (and owed) to the entirety of the U.S.
ny depends on outside investments just as dc depends on outside votes.

Quote:
Without the U.S., D.C. may or may not even exist. Without NYC, the U.S. may not exist as we know it; NYC is interdependent. D.C. is dependent
without the u.s., nyc wouldn't exist.

Quote:
D.C.'s power is bequeathed by the Constitution and the guy who said, lets put a city here on the Potomac, and lets build our government here. His friend said, no, lets put it in the village of Tobacco Stain, Virginia. Nope. So, they flip a wooden nickle (early U.S. voting) and its lands Washington. There you go.
what does that matter? same could be said for when they built nyc's first building. the fact is, dc is dc. whether they could've put it in $&#%stain, virginia doesn't mean anything now.

Quote:
Meanwhile, NYC says, I'm bustin' my hump over here with all these immigrants, infrastructure nightmare, overcrowding and tenements... I'm building a new country and this D.C. guy just gets a capital? Huh? OK, whatever. I'll keep working hard, and working, and working. ...
come to nova, there are more than enough immigrants. i'm a landscaper. i know for a fact that there are tons and tons of immigrants standing on the corners here looking for work. the cabbies here in nova (red top cab and a few other companies) are just as paki and asian indian as the cab drivers in nyc. we have communities in nova of koreans, indians, central americans, etc. the dmv's economy is 4th in the country and outgrowing the 3 economies ahead of it. being the 4th largest economy and being such a high tech area, there is a large and rapidly increasing number of immigrants to the dmv.

Quote:
200 plus years later. New York City has 26M+ people, the biggest economy in the world, cultural leader, and to many people across the world (though not all), it's the de facto "capital of the world." NYC is quite simply, a great, city.
i've never denied that stuff. but i do deny the fact that being a cultural leader and having a big economy gives it more power than washington dc. do you recall this day, while ny was glamming itself up, orders were sent from dc to drop bombs on a city? when nyc can do this from within its city limits, then i'll admit nyc is the most powerful city.

Quote:
At the same time, D.C., has done pretty well, but it really hasn't expanded beyond its original intent. It doesn't need to... It's the nation's capital -- FOR THE PEOPLE, OF THE PEOPLE. Has not distinguished itself to near the extent in business, culture, services. D.C. is a very good city that is great in politics
it hasn't expanded beyond its original intent? it's the 4th largest economy in the country and literally creeping up on chicago, it's the most high tech metro area on the east coast, and it's growing faster than all 3 cities ahead of it.

Quote:
Again, this is a tough argument because the decisions made in DC impact the globe. But, lets see, it's a "representative seat of government". Hmmmm, the President and much of his staff is from Chicago. So.... by virtue, is Chicago the most powerful city in the world? Hmmmmmm.
do you really think every ceo in ny is from ny? what are you trying to point out here?

from what people are saying about dc, it's pretty easy to tell who was a stupid ignorant tourist when they were here, if they were here at all.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 03-07-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM

239 posts, read 305,966 times
OK, we're going in circles. Nobody is going to change any minds here.

Some believe DC is more powerful but consensus says NYC is more powerful. The End.

Let's move on...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I propose people see it from this perspective, it will actually clear things up:

- New York is the most powerful city in the world, it has both sheer size & power to make that claim, both Finance & Economy. And politically even though its not the capital of any territory, it ranks 2nd in the world behind Washington DC.

- Washington DC has the most important role in this world because it has the most important industry in the world, which is the US Government, US Military & Defense, & US Aerospace programs.

Like seriously, Washington DC as a city is not more powerful than New York (second most powerful, yes) but Washington DC has an industry more powerful than New York's. Can we all agree to this much at least?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I propose people see it from this perspective, it will actually clear things up:

- New York is the most powerful city in the world, it has both sheer size & power to make that claim, both Finance & Economy. And politically even though its not the capital of any territory, it ranks 2nd in the world behind Washington DC.

- Washington DC has the most important role in this world because it has the most important industry in the world, which is the US Government, US Military & Defense, & US Aerospace programs.

Like seriously, Washington DC as a city is not more powerful than New York (second most powerful, yes) but Washington DC has an industry more powerful than New York's. Can we all agree to this much at least?
actuallllly, I think Dannnnyyyyyyy makes some sense here. Nice job.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM

133 posts, read 385,104 times
Quote:

I totally agree with this and I believe most reasonable people would agree too,but most people who say NYC simply don't understand it.So many pages and they are still repeating "money=power","media=power" etc.It simply isn't true :it was government that created both money and media(first newspaper in the world was created to serve the government).Government has the ABSOLUTE POWER.Just look at history:Hitler send rich people to death and Stalin decided what to be written in the newspaper,and those are like the worst examples,but it shows government simply has more power than any other institution.Enough said about that.America is a great country because it's true democracy and it was founded with the idea power to be distributed evenly and not concentrated in the hands of one person or one state or one city.That's why DC was designated in a separate district not part of any state so that the government here in DC defends and puts in first place the interests of the american nation as a whole,not the interests of NYC or Chicago,Pennsylvania etc.If there was one and only one most powerful city in America and the rest of the nation was ignored(like many other countries) that would be against the very ideals and principles on which this country was founded.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:

You know im nyc all the way all day. But even i have to question this

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
You know im nyc all the way all day. But even i have to question this
Haha take a look underneath the "Political Engagement" category and check to see where New York & Washington DC rank. New York may not be a capital for any territory but its still the premier city for the 3rd largest country (by population & land mass) in the world and hosts the United Nations Council, which is the closest thing this planet has to a "world government".

Foreign Policy Magazine 2008:

Foreign Policy Magazine 2010:

Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
money is power and controls politics...the money is in NYC

Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
money is power and controls politics...the money is in NYC
Money is power? last time I checked we were getting bail outs through the A$$ from China and NY was getting bailouts from DC my friend. So if thats the case then they are so desperately borrowing their power.

is that what you call power? really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City