Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the most powerful city in the US?
No 213 66.15%
Yes 109 33.85%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Money=Power. Nyc is the cash cow of America. DC is simply the location the united states decided to put its government nothing less,nothing more. The city of DC is not as powerful as NYC. Not even close. LA and Chicago are more precious to America than DC is

Nobody would say Albany is more powerful than nyc,sacremento more powerful than LA or san fransico..... Nobody would say dc is a more powerful city than ny
money doesn't equal power. can bill gates do whatever he wants? power is different from money. you can have an influence with money but that doesn't mean you have power. you can want in one and and &$*# in the other. that's basically what's going on; lobbyists on their hands and knees in dc.

and i don't understand what you're trying to get at by saying the u.s. put the government in dc. of course it did. it's in dc. who cares what or who put it there? it's in dc. that's about as lame an argument you can think up. what's in dc is in dc. whining that people put it in dc doesn't take away the fact that it's in dc and the power now lies in dc. and it's not like bank of new york is any more new york than the government is dc. hell, you have less say in what goes on in your companies in new york than we have in the government in dc. so if you want to get down to that, we in the dmv have more power as to what's going on in the capitol, white house, etc than you do some company in ny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is crazy. Power equals decision making. In your household, the woman keeps the books (NYC) and the man makes the final decision (DC). The man takes the womans opinion into consideration but that's it. He makes the decision. Now, NYC has been given a lot of power. But, what is given can be taken. DC is the judge and jury. NYC is the lawyer. You can try to convince DC but we can dismantle you if we please. DC could sell NYC to a new country if it wanted to. People in NYC would move out that city like it had the plague. Remember, NYC would not be as appealing if it wasn't in America. I think its time people woke up.
What country are you living in?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
What country are you living in?
So you believe the U.S. government can only purchase land but not sell it? You do realize D.C. purchased land to extend the U.S. boundaries right? If D.C. decided to sell NYC or any city for that matter, it could. That is power. Decisions are made in D.C. and no where else.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
LOL. You couldn't be more delusional if you tried.
Have you ever heard of the Louisiana purchase? Do you think we can only purchase land but not sell it? Power is not the desire to do something, in this case D.C. would never sell a place in America. Power is the ability to do something and D.C. has the ability to do anything it wants including selling NYC.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Technically Albany has "power" over NYC's money. Is Albany the most powerful city in New York?
This is a little misleading. NYC dominates NYS in a way it doesn't the US as a whole. And a national capital has more power of the nation than a state capital does over its state.

A better analogy would be Ottawa vs. Toronto or Brasilia vs. Sao Paulo.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM

254 posts, read 693,626 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the Louisiana purchase? Do you think we can only purchase land but not sell it? Power is not the desire to do something, in this case D.C. would never sell a place in America. Power is the ability to do something and D.C. has the ability to do anything it wants including selling NYC.
Dude, your analogies are out of control!!!! Since when does the federal government own NYC? The government doesn't own the city. You can't sell what you don't own. If the fed govt "owned" NYC, then wouldn't the fed govt run it as well?

I will give you an example. The city in which I live in (Fresno), I own my home and have another rental that I own. The city doesn't own the property in which I own my two homes, I DO. Why, because I paid for them, you know, out of my pocket. Any city has collectively hundreds of thousands of landowners, and that is what makes up the "owners" of a city so to speak. Now yes, we all pay taxes so that we can have roads, public safety, etc, but the city govt, the state govt, and the fed govt, do NOT own my two little pieces of land.

And your whole "Well DC can declare war on NYC if it wants to", that sounds weak. Your making it sound like every single piece of weaponry, nuke, tank, satellite, aircraft, sub, destroyer, soldier, sailor, etc. belongs exclusively for the benefit of DC and not for the rest of the country.
We don't live under a dictatorship or kingdom where that may apply, we live in the U.S. and the fed govt is not as centralized as you may think. The states have alot more authority over its own citizens that you DC guys realize.

The President can declare war wherever the hell he is. He can be on airforce one over the Pacific and take care of that task. And don't forget in a time of war or crisis, not every single entire decision will be coming out of DC. There are strategic commands located all throughout the country in which the commanders are given additional authority to act on their own, pursuant to their orders as they see fit without direct com from the Pentagon,(NORAD for example)and continuity of government plans in place that call for the preservation of a select group of people in case the worst happens. Those group(s) of people will be the ones that will be ushered out of harm's way. If the collateral damage is that a city, including DC gets destroyed, then so be it as the preservation of govt will be top priority. That is sad to say, but that is the truth.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
Dude, your analogies are out of control!!!! Since when does the federal government own NYC? The government doesn't own the city. You can't sell what you don't own. If the fed govt "owned" NYC, then wouldn't the fed govt run it as well?

I will give you an example. The city in which I live in (Fresno), I own my home and have another rental that I own. The city doesn't own the property in which I own my two homes, I DO. Why, because I paid for them, you know, out of my pocket. Any city has collectively hundreds of thousands of landowners, and that is what makes up the "owners" of a city so to speak. Now yes, we all pay taxes so that we can have roads, public safety, etc, but the city govt, the state govt, and the fed govt, do NOT own my two little pieces of land.

And your whole "Well DC can declare war on NYC if it wants to", that sounds weak. Your making it sound like every single piece of weaponry, nuke, tank, satellite, aircraft, sub, destroyer, soldier, sailor, etc. belongs exclusively for the benefit of DC and not for the rest of the country.
We don't live under a dictatorship or kingdom where that may apply, we live in the U.S. and the fed govt is not as centralized as you may think. The states have alot more authority over its own citizens that you DC guys realize.

The President can declare war wherever the hell he is. He can be on airforce one over the Pacific and take care of that task. And don't forget in a time of war or crisis, not every single entire decision will be coming out of DC. There are strategic commands located all throughout the country in which the commanders are given additional authority to act on their own, pursuant to their orders as they see fit without direct com from the Pentagon,(NORAD for example)and continuity of government plans in place that call for the preservation of a select group of people in case the worst happens. Those group(s) of people will be the ones that will be ushered out of harm's way. If the collateral damage is that a city, including DC gets destroyed, then so be it as the preservation of govt will be top priority. That is sad to say, but that is the truth.

What does travel have to do with a current residence? People travel all the time. The President travels all the time. But he always comes back to his permanent residences. News flash, D.C. controls the government and being an American is not your right.

If D.C. decided to sell a piece of land to another country, it would happen. You would have to move to stay an American citizen. You would be able to stay in the home you own, but you would be a citizen of what every country bought the land from the U.S. How can you not understand this? Whether D.C. would ever do this or not has nothing to do with it's ability and power to do it. Decision's are made in D.C. at the U.S. capital. Where else does the Senate and the House meet? The country prospers or crumbles based on what is decided in D.C. In fact, the lack of regulations that were abolished by officials in D.C. (hint hint) is one reason the economy tanked. Once again, the U.S. lives and dies by what happens in D.C. Period!!!!!

By the way, any major military decision made by the U.S. military is ordered by the president and his generals. The decisions all revolve around the Pentagon and D.C. We need a political scholar to define what the combination of the President, Senate, and House can actually do. It would scare many of you.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
What does travel have to do with a current residence? People travel all the time. The President travels all the time. But he always comes back to his permanent residences. News flash, D.C. controls the government and being an American is not your right.

If D.C. decided to sell a piece of land to another country, it would happen. You would have to move to stay an American citizen. You would be able to stay in the home you own, but you would be a citizen of what every country bought the land from the U.S. How can you not understand this? Whether D.C. would ever do this or not has nothing to do with it's ability and power to do it. Decision's are made in D.C. at the U.S. capital. Where else does the Senate and the House meet? The country prospers or crumbles based on what is decided in D.C. In fact, the lack of regulations that were abolished by officials in D.C. (hint hint) is one reason the economy tanked. Once again, the U.S. lives and dies by what happens in D.C. Period!!!!!

By the way, any major military decision made by the U.S. military is ordered by the president and his generals. The decisions all revolve around the Pentagon and D.C. We need a political scholar to define what the combination of the President, Senate, and House can actually do. It would scare many of you.
Your delusional. DC doesnt control the government America controls the government. The government doesnt act in the best interest of the city of DC it acts in the best interest of the country as a whole. Power in Dc comes from the rest of the states

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:

Okay what part of the government can relocate to anywhere in the USA don't you comprehend?
You're acting as if the government is exclusive to DC.

BESIDES THE GOVERNMENT WHAT MAKES DC POWERFUL?

It seems as if we have to type (slower) for you.

Oh and IF/(NEVER going to happen) "DC" wants to sell NYC, so be it at least we'll be taking all the money.
Then, what would "DC" do? LULZ

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Okay what part of the government can relocate to anywhere in the USA don't you comprehend?
You're acting as if the government is exclusive to DC.

BESIDES THE GOVERNMENT WHAT MAKES DC POWERFUL?

It seems as if we have to type (slower) for you.

Oh and IF/(NEVER going to happen) "DC" wants to sell NYC, so be it at least we'll be taking all the money.
Then, what would "DC" do? LULZ

Government will never relocate to anywhere else because the government can't be in a state. That is the law. Do you know of any other land in the U.S. that is not in one of the 50 states? D.C. is the only place in the whole country not in a state so you FAIL miserably. As for the money we would get for NYC, we would spend the money the purchasing country paid us for the land on our great country of America. The price tag for NYC would be trillions. Then all the companies would promptly move out of NYC into Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC, Bmore, Miami, Settle, Houston, LA, Dallas, San Fran, ATL, Detroit, Cleveland, Charlotte, San Diego, San Jose, Phoenix, San Antonio etc. I'm sure you are getting the picture. Yes, the representatives around the country would have to vote at the capitol in D.C. to decide whether or not to sell NYC but if the vote passes, it will come to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City