Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the most powerful city in the US?
No 213 66.15%
Yes 109 33.85%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times

Advertisements

you posted friggin pictures of a skyline. what are you trying to prove with those? is des moines more powerful than dc because it has a skyline now? oh, i also love the dated poor quality pic of dc's mall in your attempt to make dc look less appealing.

lastly, get over the poll. it's a city-data poll. i mean really. wow. and noone cares how many votes ny has. you say dc is the 2nd most powerful city in the country, but if how many votes it has matters then dmv wouldn't be the 2nd most powerful place, it would be like 7th or 8th which it's not because it's 1st or 2nd. i think it's 1st most powerful, you think 2nd most powerful.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 03-07-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
Hac NY Its got the whole world in Its hands Its got the whole world in Its hands Its got the whole world in Its hands...Its got the whole world in its hands
How?? NY cant even make any World decisions, so how on earth can they possibly have the whole world in there hands. Keep listening to that garbage that the media is already misleading millions of people to think, which is completely false.

NY (Empire State Building)
NY's Symbol of power

DC (The Capitol)
DC's Symbol of Power

THEIRS SIMPLY NO COMPARISON. THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO WORLD DECISIONS MADE IN THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING AND FOR THAT MATTER ANY BUILDINGS IN NY AT ALL OTHER THAN THE UN, BUT THATS EVEN POWERED BY THE OFFICIALS IN DC!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Your delusional. DC doesnt control the government America controls the government. The government doesnt act in the best interest of the city of DC it acts in the best interest of the country as a whole. Power in Dc comes from the rest of the states
I can see both sides of this argument, but I agree with this line of reasoning. DC is immensely powerful, but its an enjoinder. All of its power is assumed (and owed) to the entirety of the U.S.

Without the U.S., D.C. may or may not even exist. Without NYC, the U.S. may not exist as we know it; NYC is interdependent. D.C. is dependent

As a "city/urban conglomeration," New York City is the most powerful city on the planet. My take on the following criteria:
Financial = 1 or 2 (w/ London)
Cultural = top 3
Economic (not just pure finance) = 1
Services = 1
Tourism = top 5
Political = top 20 (?)

DC
Financial = Maybe in top 30?
Cultural = Maybe top 10-15
Economic (not pure finance) = Top 20?
Services = Top 15
Tourism = top 5
Political = Easy #1

D.C.'s power is bequeathed by the Constitution and the guy who said, lets put a city here on the Potomac, and lets build our government here. His friend said, no, lets put it in the village of Tobacco Stain, Virginia. Nope. So, they flip a wooden nickle (early U.S. voting) and its lands Washington. There you go.

Meanwhile, NYC says, I'm bustin' my hump over here with all these immigrants, infrastructure nightmare, overcrowding and tenements... I'm building a new country and this D.C. guy just gets a capital? Huh? OK, whatever. I'll keep working hard, and working, and working. ...

200 plus years later. New York City has 26M+ people, the biggest economy in the world, cultural leader, and to many people across the world (though not all), it's the de facto "capital of the world." NYC is quite simply, a great, city.

At the same time, D.C., has done pretty well, but it really hasn't expanded beyond its original intent. It doesn't need to... It's the nation's capital -- FOR THE PEOPLE, OF THE PEOPLE. Has not distinguished itself to near the extent in business, culture, services. D.C. is a very good city that is great in politics.

Again, this is a tough argument because the decisions made in DC impact the globe. But, lets see, it's a "representative seat of government". Hmmmm, the President and much of his staff is from Chicago. So.... by virtue, is Chicago the most powerful city in the world? Hmmmmmm.

Last edited by BigLake; 03-07-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM

205 posts, read 298,643 times
NYC is way more important and powerful than DC.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
BigLakeAgain, this is a tough argument because the decisions made in DC impact the globe. But, lets see, it's a "representative seat of government". Hmmmm, the President and much of his staff is from Chicago. So.... by virtue, is Chicago the most powerful city in the world? Hmmmmmm
Weather the people in the Govt is from Chicago or not wouldn't make a difference because regardless of where the people are from DC would still be home to our United States Govt Just like Finances would still be home to NY regardless of where the ppl are from that work in those banks.. Theres no way around it and theres definitely no way to exclude the govt because the govt cant reside anywhere else because it cant be located in a "State". I think what most people dont understand is that any organization or entity on this Countries soil weather it be Finances in NY, Hollywood in LA, or even the Govt in DC all rightfully belong to the American Citizens in this Country. The Banks in NY were born in NY, but the money thats in them belongs to the entire Country, but a lot of people are being mislead to think that everything in NY only belongs to NY, which is entirely false. NY wouldn't be NY without the help of the American Citizens the same way DC and the Govt wouldn't, so theres no difference no matter how you try to flip it. It would actually be a lot easier to move Wall Street and all of the Finances thats in NY to another state in the Country than it would to move the Govt, because as stated earlier The Govt cant relocate "By Law" unless they make more land to create another District somewhere which could take decades if not longer. I'll give it to NY as the most influential or being the Financial cap and being the most important GDP wise, but other than that when I think of a place with actual Power and that has actual authority even over NY, the only place I can think of is DC. Theirs nobody in NY that has Matchable powers to the people in the FEDS in DC like the President, Vice President, Secretary of Defense, and Congress. Nothing in NY can match that Power and I don't care how populated NY is or how much money its worth because at the end of the day the officials in DC have the power to have all of that removed or replaced and that's that. NY doesn't have actual Powers to make demands like the FEDS in DC anyways. Its just that its so influential amongst a lot of people that it seems like it has power, but if your not in control or have the authority to make worldwide decisions, then how powerful are you?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
. DC is immensely powerful,but its an enjoinder. All of its power is assumed (and owed) to the en tirety of the U.S.

Without the U.S., D.C. may or may not even exist. Without NYC, the U.S. may not exist as we know it; NYC is interdependent. D.C. is dependent

Basically what i was trying to say the whole time. The actual city of DC doesnt make decisions, politicians from all over the states just congregate there and makes decision

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Perhaps the issue is that, after 17 pages of comments here, we've yet to really define what the term "important" means. Is being the hub of global finance more "important" than being the home of people and institutions that can start a war?

In terms of culture, global finance and commerce, NYC is arguably the most important city in the world (although I think a very strong case could be made for London). There's no question that it has no peer in those areas within the U.S. But DC is home to an entity--the federal government--that consistently makes decisions that impact the world. From DC emanate decisions, rules and regulations that can start wars, impact the global financial markets, impact or alter the leadership of other nations, make life-altering decisions for every U.S. citizen, and so on. Are those things "less important" than what New York provides?

I'll go back to what I said probably 15 pages ago: who can say? New York may be home to the financial institutions that have the power to wreak the country's economy, and DC is home to governmental institutions that can rescue the economy when it happens. Both are vital, integral parts of our country, and I don't think you can really compare their relative importance.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Basically what i was trying to say the whole time. The actual city of DC doesnt make decisions, politicians from all over the states just congregate there and makes decision
Well, by this logic the city of New York doesn't control the global financial markets, the Wall Street bankers and traders from all around the country just congregate there and do that.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, by this logic the city of New York doesn't control the global financial markets, the Wall Street bankers and traders from all around the country just congregate there and do that.
All the finances and banking is done in new york because nyc positioned itself to be that type of city. The actual city itself is powerful. The reason why anything of power is in Dc is because the government(rest of usa) appointed it to be there. Dc is just an outpost, where other more powerful cities,operate in

Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
I'm not even going to debate it any longer. The bold above is a great example! NYC actually created/s things for the countries benefit (The NEW YORK stock exchange) the government was PLACED in DC. Huge difference.

Why are you guys repeating the same thing? Yes the government is there, great. Check for politics. What other things are you guys number 1 for/bring to the table for the world (BESIDES GOVERNMENT)? We will all wait for the response.

NYC offers WAY MORE than just Finance for USA. Media,Culture,Influence etc.

Oh look at this. . .

Quote:
As it turns out, certain folks see a bit of Manhattan moving down south, resulting in a so-called "Manhattanization" of the District. Bloomberg yesterday expounded on this issue in an article titled, "D.C., Once 'Graveyard After Dark,' Adds Manhattan Glitz, Prices."
Quote:
the Bloomberg article ascertains that we are indeed changing and becoming more like Manhattan. It paints our fair city as having moved on from what the article quotes as "a marble graveyard after dark."
Quote:
With the redevelopment of certain parts of the city such as the U Street corridor and Gallery Place/Chinatown (which some call our own Times Square)
Quote:
With our 69 square miles versus Manhattan's 23, we open this up to you: are we being Manhattanized? Is the District's flavor being overruled by NYC staples. . .
Read it and weep

BOOM. END OF THREAD! Dc is a great place but it's not the most powerful for USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City