Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 04:02 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Miami- Dirty, Dirty, disgusting city, never want to go back.

Las Vegas- OMG I loved the city and can see myself living there in the future.
The last thing I've ever heard somebody describing Miami is "dirty"

Where exactly did you go that gave you that impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 05:03 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Just visited Miami for the first time last week and it appeared really polished and clean. At least the parts I saw

Old 05-18-2021, 02:47 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Miami's not dirty as commented. Nonsense.

It’s not Charlotte clean but it is in no way shape or form; disgustingly dirty.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:44 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
There are some parts of Miami that many tourists won’t visit (more so inland) that could be classified as dirty, I suppose Wynwood is “hipster urban edgy” and parts of South Beach and downtown can be sketchy (parts of Washington Ave and Flagler St, but not Biscayne Blvd, areas)....BUT the majority of Coastal areas are clean and in many cases modern (have already or are transitioning/gentrifying that way)—Brickell, Coral Gables, most of Coconut Grove, South Miami, Pinecrest, Key Biscayne, Bal Harbour, Surfside, South of Fifth, Miami Beach barrier islands, Sunset Harbour, mid beach/Millionaires Row, Sunny Isles, Design District, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-18-2021 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 06:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Most surprising: Milwaukee. I really was pleasantly surprised by how much there was to do, see, eat and drink downtown. The lakefront was gorgeous as well as a unique European vibe downtown.

Disappointing: Oakland. A friend and I flew there on a whim with an attitude of whatever happens happens. Long story short, we ended up spending the day in San Francisco.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:41 PM

413 posts, read 437,547 times
Most Suprising in a good way Richmond,Va just a gem of city imo.....
Disappointed somewhat probably Orlando although in fairness part of this has to do with we went to Disneyland and it Rained most of the time we were out there....overall the Orlando area is nice though.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:27 PM

92 posts, read 105,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Surprising

Oklahoma City
Liked the Bricktown district and the Bricktown Canal. Was able to walk from the OKC Bombing Memorial to Bricktown without having 3 young kids meltdown. Kids enjoyed Bricktown Canal.

Disappointing

San Antonio
A disclaimer - everyone should take in San Antonio once. The Riverwalk is both an experience to behold and a nightmare to avoid. It's almost always packed to the gills with tourists and walking along the Riverwalk can be an adventure. I can't imagine trying it drunk without falling in. When you go to The Alamo try to keep the history of the building in mind because once you get in (after waiting in line for an hour or more) you'll be very underwhelmed. There's nothing to it. The courtyard is bigger than the building. My kids had more fun at the Texas Transportation Museum than they did at The Alamo.
You do realize that this is the site of a battle and not an amusement park right? It's like complaining that a graveyard isn't fun enough.

That being said, I'm amazed at how anyone can reject San Antonio's Riverwalk but can enjoy the dollar-store knock-off based on it "Bricktown".

Old 05-20-2021, 09:17 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Your Idols! View Post
You do realize that this is the site of a battle and not an amusement park right? It's like complaining that a graveyard isn't fun enough.

That being said, I'm amazed at how anyone can reject San Antonio's Riverwalk but can enjoy the dollar-store knock-off based on it "Bricktown".
And you do realize that, despite the hype, nobody cared about the Alamo for 70+ years after the battle, right? It was so important that it was an afterthought that served as, among other things, a barracks, a mercantile, and a glorified storage shed for decades. Major anniversaries of the battle (10, 25, and 50) weren't even commemorated. By the time they finally got around to preserving the Alamo, the façade looked nothing like it did during the siege. You get inside and it's just underwhelming AF, but I imagine if you spent your entire K-12 years chugging the Lone Star Kool Aid it's right up there with the Great Pyramids as one of the most important buildings ever constructed (and then used as a storage shed). Same thing with the Riverwalk. There are parts of it that are beautiful, and there are parts that literally scream tourist trap - like Wall Drug with a canal running through it. Yeah Bricktown Canal is a knockoff, but when we went it wasn't full of 25,000 rude, oblivious tourons crowding along narrow sidewalks next to the water trying to get to the Saltgrass Steakhouse.

Pueblo, CO, has a Riverwalk knock-off now, too, but I haven't been to it, nor do I plan to because it's in Pueblo.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-20-2021 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 12:46 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
And you do realize that, despite the hype, nobody cared about the Alamo for 70+ years after the battle, right? It was so important that it was an afterthought that served as, among other things, a barracks, a mercantile, and a glorified storage shed for decades. Major anniversaries of the battle (10, 25, and 50) weren't even commemorated. By the time they finally got around to preserving the Alamo, the façade looked nothing like it did during the siege. You get inside and it's just underwhelming AF, but I imagine if you spent your entire K-12 years chugging the Lone Star Kool Aid it's right up there with the Great Pyramids as one of the most important buildings ever constructed (and then used as a storage shed). Same thing with the Riverwalk. There are parts of it that are beautiful, and there are parts that literally scream tourist trap - like Wall Drug with a canal running through it. Yeah Bricktown Canal is a knockoff, but when we went it wasn't full of 25,000 rude, oblivious tourons crowding along narrow sidewalks next to the water trying to get to the Saltgrass Steakhouse.

Pueblo, CO, has a Riverwalk knock-off now, too, but I haven't been to it, nor do I plan to because it's in Pueblo.
I find the Alamo pretty underwhelming as well. Really not worth the notoriety. I do appreciate how much San Antonio is improving as a city however!

Old 05-21-2021, 11:09 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
I haven’t been to a city that disappointed me yet.

The only city I had super high expectations for was the black middle class in Atlanta but it was a bit overrated when I got there and realized the city still had a large crime issue.

Even places like Saint Louis didn’t disappoint me cause I’m a fun person in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City