Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better mountain experince
WV 38 82.61%
PA 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 09:27 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times

Advertisements

Both are relatively mountainous states that are somewhat underrated compared to other east coast mountain states. Which state offers a more scenic and interesting mountain experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 08:19 AM

224 posts, read 164,244 times
I think PA has more flat and farm land where WV has pretty much none of that so WV more then likely.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:40 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
West Virginia. I don't have actual data in front of me, but the mountains of WV feel taller to me. And they also feel closer together, especially in the southern part of the state. In Pennsylvania, it seems that the mountains are more like ridges instead of specific individual mountains. Nothing wrong with ridges, but I like the individual look better.

To me, West Virginia is a mountainous state, whereas Pennsylvania is a state with mountains. I'm not sure I can explain why these two things are different, but to me it's a noticeable difference.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:46 PM

409 posts, read 333,255 times
West Virginia

Old 09-16-2021, 12:46 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Mountain Mama.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:35 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
West Virginia by far.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:43 AM

379 posts, read 467,984 times
PA’s mountains, at best, are equivalent to maybe the Catskills (but Catskills still taller and
More mountainous than anywhere in PA.

Catskills themselves are the lesser of the two major ranges in NY (Adirondacks being the most impressive). WV is closer to the latter and thus bests PA quite handily.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
I agree West Virginia has us beat. It is situated smack dab in the middle of Appalachian Mountains. No other state but West Virginia can claim to be entirely geographically composed of the Appalachian Mountain range. (And, on that note, it is also the only state entirely composed of Appalachia, the cultural region). So, it's no surprise, pound for pound, West Virginia has us beat. Scenes like the New River Gorge Bridge are truly phenomenal.

But, Pennsylvania is no slouch. In fact, in a ranking of the relative flatness of all the contiguous US states, Pennsylvania ranks just behind West Virginia: https://www.disruptivegeo.com/blog/w...ll_2013Nov.pdf

We have the Allegheny and Pocono subranges, plus places like the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon which fit in neither subrange, yet pack a giant scenic and hiking punch. Compared to most states, our mountains are pretty lit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
I think PA has more flat and farm land where WV has pretty much none of that so WV more then likely.
Compared to West Virginia, yes, we technically have more flat land. West Virginia is the least flat, and we are the second least flat. So, really, most of our land is not flat, save for the very far reaches of the Northwest around Lake Erie, and some areas in the Southeast near the Delaware River. Our top-notch farmland is not really flat, rather it is composed of beautiful rolling hills.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:45 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

Compared to West Virginia, yes, we technically have more flat land. West Virginia is the least flat, and we are the second least flat. So, really, most of our land is not flat, save for the very far reaches of the Northwest around Lake Erie, and some areas in the Southeast near the Delaware River. Our top-notch farmland is not really flat, rather it is composed of beautiful rolling hills.
Very interesting! People assume that the western US would be the least flat but there's a lot of huge level basins out there. PA is a lot more crumpled topography, it just happens that those crumples don't aggregate up to a few big mountains.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 AM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
WV isn't called the "Mountain State" for nothing. The whole thing is essentially mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City