Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities offers more?
Charlotte 70 70.71%
Oklahoma City 29 29.29%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Can somebody give me a list of things to do in Charlotte? It always seemed like a bland city to me, but I don't necessarily think that it's boring. Same with OKC.
What do you like to do?What are you interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
What do you like to do?What are you interested in?
Thinks such as Amusement/Water parks, Festivals, urban areas, cool neighborhoods, local food establishments, etc appeal to me.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM

173 posts, read 296,712 times
Quote:
Thinks such as Amusement/Water parks, Festivals, urban areas, cool neighborhoods, local food establishments, etc appeal to me.
carowinds/boomerang bay, great wolf lodge, taste of charlotte are off the top of my head

Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
Quote:
Splash Planet,Whitewater Center, Speedstreet, Taste of Charlotte, JazzFest, GospelFest, Soulfood Festival, Spring fling, Greekfest, Carribeanfest, Jazz in the Park.
NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Dilworth, Hawthorne area, Southend, Uptownn, etc....

Old 06-25-2013, 04:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_mangina View Post
You're missing the entire point of the analogy. Like the12ronin said, its more about what Charlotte intrinsically lacks. It has no "soul," nothing that defines it as a city besides amenities that other cities have. Charlotte has a light rail, so what? OKC doesn't but it has an identity: country roots, plains, midwestern farms, and unfortunately, tornadoes. Charlotte has banking, and not even that many people outside of that profitable, but niche industry know what and where Charlotte is. What else is there to associate with the city besides its money? Dallas has a lot of money, but is that the only thing someone expects there? Charlotte became too preoccupied with appearing like a big, world-class city, that it forgot to build te foundation. Atlanta held on to its Southern heritage, Charlotte threw it away in favor of new fancy buildings. OKC builds one massive skyscraper, but still is OKC at heart. Thus, we go back to the Morton's analogy. They're in most every city, they provide the same thing. But great cities aren't defined by the Morton's they have—that is they aren't defined by the amenities, the public transport, the infrastructure, that other cities could have as well—but more by those great independent steakhouses, where the waiter might tell you that the cow was butchered that day by the local butcher, who purchased it from some farm outside of the city limits. It's the local element. It's the things you can't get anywhere else that make great cities great, and separate the true-to-themselves cities like OKC from the wannabe's like Charlotte.
This really isn't accurate and displays your ignorance of the essence of Charlotte, which is honestly understandable since that essence is to be found outside of Uptown which outsiders are much less familiar with. While banking has come to define Charlotte as it has grown into a mid-major city, historically it has been defined by its Piedmont location, textiles (with lots of preserved and reused textile mills surrounding Uptown which attest to this), and stock-car racing. The "issue," for lack of a better term, is that there's nothing sexy or striking about these things so they aren't readily associated with the city; however they are authentically Charlotte and quite Southern. Also, another thing that helps define the city is religion. Of course there's Billy Graham and the plethora of Presbyterian churches which testify to the historical Scots-Irish presence in the area, but you also have the presence and cultural influence of the predominantly Black United House of Prayer For All People denomination which is pretty unique as far as predominantly Black churches go.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Can somebody give me a list of things to do in Charlotte? It always seemed like a bland city to me, but I don't necessarily think that it's boring. Same with OKC.
QC Dreamin gave a good rundown of things to do in Charlotte. Here is for OKC.

Amusement/Water parks: White Water Bay, the Oklahoma River (boathouse district), Frontier City (more for kids). I really wish Frontier City would add a few high profile rides. I miss having an amusement park like Carowinds nearby.

Festivals: OKC Art Festival, Paseo art festival, Shakespeare in the Park, Taste of Oklahoma City, Medieval fair in Norman, Norman Music Festival, reggae festival, Jazz in June (Norman), Bricktown Blues, Edmond Jazz and Blues festival, Oklahoma wine, food, and beer festival, Red Earth festival (Native American), storytelling festival

Urban areas and cool neighborhoods: Bricktown is the most well known but it is also the most mass produced and geared more towards tourists, clubgoers, and the country scene. For more of the hipster vibe that will be appreciated more by the City-Data crowd, you have to stay out of Bricktown. Steer towards Midtown, the Plaza, Deep Deuce, Film Row, Automobile Alley, 23rd St, the Paseo, and Western Avenue.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 PM

591 posts, read 820,267 times
Charlotte is absolutely gorgeous when compared to Oklahoma City. Yuck.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM

249 posts, read 443,456 times
OKC = One of the last truly "Masculine" cities left.

" Ain't nudd'n o'posed ta be pretty roun' this here city Ma'am" -spits from his chew onto the ground casually-

Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Much of OKC is very ugly, especially the areas near I-35 and I-40, which is what most people just passing through see. If you get off the interstate though you'll find there are some areas that have their charm and are aesthetically pleasing. Also, if you think Charlotte is beautiful (which I do), you'll like the OKC suburb of Edmond, much of which looks similar to suburban Charlotte. It has well-cared for trees, landscaping, building codes, and other forms of beautification not found much in the OKC metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City