Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, it is not so interesting I copied them. They were all on Forbes, Kiplinger and some other yahoo lists of top cities for young adults
haha touche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
1. Houston
2. Atlanta
3. Kansas City
4. Charlotte
5. Washington DC
lol at Houston being number 1. Other than affordability, there really isn't any reason why it should even be in the top five. Don't get me wrong, it's a big city so you can find stuff to do, and you make A LOT of money here climbing the corporate ladder, but it's pretty mediocre for most of the categories listed by the OP.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM

228 posts, read 537,438 times
10 Great Cities For Young Adults - Yahoo! Real Estate

In Pictures: Best Cities For Young Adults - Best Cities For Young Adults - Forbes.com

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
lol at Houston being number 1. Other than affordability, there really isn't any reason why it should even be in the top five. Don't get me wrong, it's a big city so you can find stuff to do, and you make A LOT of money here climbing the corporate ladder, but it's pretty mediocre for most of the categories listed by the OP.
Forbes and one other list had it as numero uno. all the lists had it in the top 5

don't hate on my copying skills boy. I can learn you a thing or two

Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Forbes and one other list had it as numero uno.

don't hate on my copying skills boy. I can learn you a thing or two
Oh well it's Forbes. The randomness of your list makes a lot more since now.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Oh well it's Forbes. The randomness of your list makes a lot more since now.
my list is a combination of lists. and it wasn't random. all the lists had those cities

don't hate, copy and paste your list so I can tear it apart

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
my list is a combination of lists. and it wasn't random. all the lists had those cities

don't hate, copy and paste your list so I can tear it apart
Haha, well I'm not not in the mood to get into it, but I will say if your just looking for a good, well paying entry level job in a big affordable city, Houston would definitely make my number one list for young professionals. BUT if your considering nightlife, music scene, entertainment, etc..... not so much.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Haha, well I'm not not in the mood to get into it, but I will say if your just looking for a good, well paying entry level job in a big affordable city, Houston would definitely make my number one list for young professionals. BUT if your considering nightlife, music scene, entertainment, etc..... not so much.
pffft, you just don't know how to have fun grandpa. If you cannot entertain yourself in a city as big as this then you might as well be dead.

There are countless bars and clubs here, there is just about every sport represented, countless opportunities for shopping, there are the beaches down the way?

what else do you need to entertain yourself? I am not sure how good the geriatric scene is here, so we might be seeing two different things

Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
With the plentitude of bars, indy coffee houses, lounges and dance clubs of EVERY stripe in Houston, the 4th largest US city with droves of people coming from all over the world...and you say "not so much" entertainment here?

Upon closer look, Houston even kicks Boston's butt for culture:
http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/12-...-back-on-2010/

I don't know. Those few people who actually say there's no nightlife in Houston...are really bored types who don't know how to have fun, don't have any sense of navigation, or appreciation of all the new spots that continually open up here or continually need to be deposited on the Vegas Strip (or some fascimile) all the time.

There are SO many options here I'd like to check out, I just don't always have the time.

The beauty of the H-town metro is that there are dozens of entertainment pockets with ALL sorts of spots. Unlike tradtional urban cities that are stuck with a type of layout and centrality, at least H-town offers different environments in the geography.

There are SO MANY places that are cool and spread around, Agora, Boheme, Byzantio, Brasil, Poison Girl, Liberty Station, Super Happy Funland, Layal, CoCo's, Antidote, Komodo, Barcadia, Avant Garden, Anvil, Retro Lounge, Cat Birds, Royal Oak, Cafe 101, GingerMan, Candy, Cafe Europe, Cova Bar, Continental, Genji's, Pink's Lounge, No-Tsu-Oh, Flora N Muse, Straits, Confort Lounge, Cafe Yummy, Czar Bar, Onion Creek, Zone 504, just to name a few...I NEVER get bored here.

S--t, I can go to Agora many times and never get tired of that locale!

-Richmond Avenue
-Washington Avenue (NY Times Travel had to write about that party strip TWICE in recent years!)
-downtown
-Shepherd Plaza
-Galleria area (especially the Sage/Alabama axis and Uptown Park)
-New Chinatown (particularly at Dun Huang Center)
-Heights (particularly the interesting White Oak St.)
-Midtown
-Rice Village
-Montrose
-City Centre
-Kemah Lighthouse District (those indy patio bars can put out some live music, that's for sure.)
-Woodlands Waterway

So many nightlife clusters in the Houston region. And there's a supposed lack of nightlife?

What Houston lacks in density, it sure has plenty of spots in the bend and on the edges. There's just something for everyone here.

Even on Wednesday nights when I drive to work...just Richmond Avenue alone has cool cafes and bars that are PACKED!

I mean, every format is here in H-town's metro. Traditional urban downtown, offbeat colorful backstreets, pedestrian corridors, pedestrian low-rise villages, wide open patio bar/club boulevards...what other metro can give Houston's array?

Once again, the sticks-in-the-mud who say Houston isn't fun...are the type of folks who probably aren't any fun to be around (especially the types who simply dislike Houston) in the first place. If Houston isn't fun, then other big cities aren't fun.

The 4th largest US city, one of America's most diverse, more people coming here...I mean really...

Last edited by worldlyman; 02-09-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM

205 posts, read 298,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Top 5 cities for young, single women who watch Sex and the City religiously
I love that show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City