Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times

Advertisements

One of the trends that is happening in our country is young people (20s and early 30s) are moving into cities for various reasons such as job opportunities, better culture, nightlife, more to do, more excitement, etc. When I was living in DC, there was a strong young professional presence. Most people say cities like NYC and Chicago are the best for young working professionals.

What cities do you think are the best for young working professionals? How do cities like Denver, San Diego, Austin, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. compare to world-class US cities for young working professionals such as NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Indianapolis was ranked as the 4th best city in America for young professionals.
the top 1-6 aside from Indy were all California cities.
The list is based on which cities have the Happiest young professionals.
20 Happiest Cities for Young Professionals | InvestorPlace
Indianapolis has a cost of living thats 30-50% lower than California. Taxes are 50% lower too. Indiana and the city of Indianapolis have balanced budgets too so taxes arent going up.
Indy also has the nations most affordable Real Estate Market and the lowest cost of living of any Major US city.
Finally Indy offers many great amendities for a metro of 2M people. Its the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and its only a 4 hour drive or less from Chicago/Fort Wayne/Cincy/Dayton and Columbus Ohio/St Louis/Detroit/Evansville.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Boston, Austin, Chicago, New York, DC are all good.

Anywhere in the South except for Austin is not as favorable.

Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are doable but are more conservative/less hipster and therefore less favorable to the younger generation, but all three still have a thriving arts scene and LGBT scene and plenty of bars/clubs to get wasted in. Plus they are plenty large enough where meeting other single people won't be a problem. It's just not going to be on the level of San Francisco, Seattle, New York, etc.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Boston, Austin, Chicago, New York, DC are all good.

Anywhere in the South except for Austin is not as favorable.

Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are doable but are more conservative/less hipster and therefore less favorable to the younger generation, but all three still have a thriving arts scene and LGBT scene and plenty of bars/clubs to get wasted in. Plus they are plenty large enough where meeting other single people won't be a problem. It's just not going to be on the level of San Francisco, Seattle, New York, etc.
I am not sure about Dallas or Houston but Atlanta has tons of hipsters (East Atlanta/Candler Park/L5P) and yuppies (Midtown/Buckhead/Va Highlands/Poncey Highlands), and a huge LGBT population, 3rd highest percent in the country behind Seattle/SF. I would estimate more so on these things than Austin considering the metro is around 6 million. Atlanta is definitely a "hip" city among many young demographics. As is South Florida in general. I can't see how Austin could possibly be attracting more people than those two areas. Austin and Portland are not in league with those metros.

Atlanta usually gets bashed for not being urban enough and sprawly, or for being closely situated in not so fantastic areas of the deep south. Not really for lack of amenities/shopping or anything like that as it has it. For a young working professional, lots of HQ's there and F500 companies, it's also a very educated city.

I know several people in Dallas who seem to like it for it's upscaleness in parts also and say it is similar amenity wise to Atlanta.

I'd easily put them both above Austin for a young working professional.

Last edited by grapico; 09-23-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am not sure about Dallas or Houston but Atlanta has tons of hipsters (East Atlanta/Candler Park/L5P) and yuppies (Midtown/Buckhead/Va Highlands/Poncey Highlands), and a huge LGBT population. I would estimate more so on these things than Austin considering the metro is around 6 million. Atlanta is definitely a "hip" city among many young demographics. As is South Florida in general. I can't see how Austin could possibly be attracting more people than those two areas. Austin and Portland are not in league with those metros.
Atlanta doesn't have the "cool" factor Austin and Portland have. I will agree with you it is the better city. I would live in Atlanta any day over Austin, Portland, or Seattle. But to explain the "cool" factor I am talking about...this video somewhat gets the point across.

Portlandia - Dream of the 90s - YouTube

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
haha... yeah it isn't cool in the hippie/scenester/counterculture/granola/hipster sense... but I am thinking just young people coming out of college in general. In that sense Portland and Austin might be more competitive in that demographic.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Not all young people are wannabe hipsters and clowns. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City