Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
lol at Houston being number 1. Other than affordability, there really isn't any reason why it should even be in the top five. Don't get me wrong, it's a big city so you can find stuff to do, and you make A LOT of money here climbing the corporate ladder, but it's pretty mediocre for most of the categories listed by the OP.
I disagree. The categories listed by the OP:
Nightlife
Age Demographics
Affordability for single living
Dining/Cafe's
Job Outlook

Entertainment
Average Marital Status
Outdoor recreation
Music scene

The ones in bold are hardly mediocre.
Entertainment depends on the definition. It's not Las Vegas or L.A., but I think there's enough for the average young adult.
There are nearby beaches and lakes. There is a decent music scene, but one can always drive to Austin for the larger festivals and such, it's a short few hours drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
List of good places for young people that are neither expensive nor overhyped

1. Nashville
2. Columbus
3. Pittsburgh
4. Milwaukee
5. St. Louis

Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh well. There are not many affordable yet lively cities with 4 seasons.

I prefer the 9 months of Spring that we get here.
Like you said different strokes.
Perhaps Albany or Buffalo considering that COL is at or below average and the nightlife lasts until 4 AM in both metros. Unemployment rates are below averagw in both areas too. Lansing MI was mentioned in one of those lists too. Ann Arbor MI has good nightlife and is close to Detroit as well. Columbus OH might work too.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Albany or Buffalo considering that COL is at or below average and the nightlife lasts until 4 AM in both metros. Unemployment rates are below averagw in both areas too. Lansing MI was mentioned in one of those lists too. Ann Arbor MI has good nightlife and is close to Detroit as well. Columbus OH might work too.
I'd say Minneapolis-St. Paul is lively and has four seasons, and is affordable. Chicago is extremely lively and has 4 seasons, just a little less affordable (but certainly not out of the question). Same goes for Denver.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
List of good places for young people that are neither expensive nor overhyped

1. Nashville
2. Columbus
3. Pittsburgh
4. Milwaukee
5. St. Louis
Good list! Often overlooked completely by non-regionals, yet you can have an absolute blast of a life in any of these cities as a YUPPY.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think he must have heard some northeastern density freak rattling on about density and he must have lost confidence in his city and took it to mean that there is not much entertainment here. But like both of us have pointed out, if you can't find something to do in a metro of 6M people then you bloody well must be dead.

Houston has everything a young adult could want.
-A strong economy,
-a healthy job market,
-lots of night clubs for all varieties of people,
-it has a pretty young population,
-it is on the coast/ has beaches,
-housing costs below the us average and cheapest housing among the top 25 major metros.

I can see why all the lists had it in the top 5. To actually live here and not see that yourself hints at either old age or highly anti social behavior

All those things are great that Houston has and a young professional should look at that. Its just the name thats not popular among young professionals. It seems to me that cities that have huge college presences usually become areas where you see the most young professionals moving too or staying put after they graduate. When I graduated I never even considered Houston to be a hip trendy young professional city, I just viewed it has a city that if I need a job Houston would be the place for me.( But there is more to life than just work) Sometimes Houston is percieved to be dry and boring place because its never had that reputation of having great Nightlife and Entertainment along with being a good place to find a job. People will say things like there is nothing to do there because its not on the level as say Miami NYC or Vegas, when it comes to nightlife and entertainment. Ive always viewed places Like Atlanta, Boston, NYC ,LA, DC, to be more attractive for Young professionals, and thats not to say young professionals arent going to Houston. Just my opinion

Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM

47 posts, read 199,771 times
pretty easy
Atlanta, or Miami, or Houston
All have great nightlife(though Miami wins)
all are known to have goodlooking girls(miami wins again)
all have many oppotunities
Atlanta and Houston are cheap, while Miami is on the pricey side but isnt DC NYC SFC or L.A. expensive
basicly is managable as a single
Miami is a drawback in opportunity because it has a fairly bad economy
but the nightlife and dating scene make up for it if u get a job
and Houston and Atlanta have allot of opportunity with a combo of great nightlife.
Dallas and Nashville are other great considerations

Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
With the plentitude of bars, indy coffee houses, lounges and dance clubs of EVERY stripe in Houston, the 4th largest US city with droves of people coming from all over the world...and you say "not so much" entertainment here?

Upon closer look, Houston even kicks Boston's butt for culture:
Discovery zone: For Boston expat, the Houston performing arts scene is a delightful revelation - 2011-Jan-02 - CultureMap Houston

I don't know. Those few people who actually say there's no nightlife in Houston...are really bored types who don't know how to have fun, don't have any sense of navigation, or appreciation of all the new spots that continually open up here or continually need to be deposited on the Vegas Strip (or some fascimile) all the time.

There are SO many options here I'd like to check out, I just don't always have the time.

The beauty of the H-town metro is that there are dozens of entertainment pockets with ALL sorts of spots. Unlike tradtional urban cities that are stuck with a type of layout and centrality, at least H-town offers different environments in the geography.

There are SO MANY places that are cool and spread around, Agora, Boheme, Byzantio, Brasil, Poison Girl, Liberty Station, Super Happy Funland, Layal, CoCo's, Antidote, Komodo, Barcadia, Avant Garden, Anvil, Retro Lounge, Cat Birds, Royal Oak, Cafe 101, GingerMan, Candy, Cafe Europe, Cova Bar, Continental, Genji's, Pink's Lounge, No-Tsu-Oh, Flora N Muse, Straits, Confort Lounge, Cafe Yummy, Czar Bar, Onion Creek, Zone 504, just to name a few...I NEVER get bored here.

S--t, I can go to Agora many times and never get tired of that locale!

-Richmond Avenue
-Washington Avenue (NY Times Travel had to write about that party strip TWICE in recent years!)
-downtown
-Shepherd Plaza
-Galleria area (especially the Sage/Alabama axis and Uptown Park)
-New Chinatown (particularly at Dun Huang Center)
-Heights (particularly the interesting White Oak St.)
-Midtown
-Rice Village
-Montrose
-City Centre
-Kemah Lighthouse District (those indy patio bars can put out some live music, that's for sure.)
-Woodlands Waterway

So many nightlife clusters in the Houston region. And there's a supposed lack of nightlife?

What Houston lacks in density, it sure has plenty of spots in the bend and on the edges. There's just something for everyone here.

Even on Wednesday nights when I drive to work...just Richmond Avenue alone has cool cafes and bars that are PACKED!

I mean, every format is here in H-town's metro. Traditional urban downtown, offbeat colorful backstreets, pedestrian corridors, pedestrian low-rise villages, wide open patio bar/club boulevards...what other metro can give Houston's array?

Once again, the sticks-in-the-mud who say Houston isn't fun...are the type of folks who probably aren't any fun to be around (especially the types who simply dislike Houston) in the first place. If Houston isn't fun, then other big cities aren't fun.

The 4th largest US city, one of America's most diverse, more people coming here...I mean really...
I would agree. Houston is a great city for a young adult. If I had the opportunity to move there I would jump on it in a heartbeat. The thing about Houston is its just not usually the setting of Hollywood sex dramas, and is therefore not a "hip" place to be like LA, SF, Boston, Miami, etc. In fact, I prefer Houston to the much more "hip" Austin.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

224 posts, read 527,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
With the plentitude of bars, indy coffee houses, lounges and dance clubs of EVERY stripe in Houston, the 4th largest US city with droves of people coming from all over the world...and you say "not so much" entertainment here?

Upon closer look, Houston even kicks Boston's butt for culture:
Discovery zone: For Boston expat, the Houston performing arts scene is a delightful revelation - 2011-Jan-02 - CultureMap Houston

I don't know. Those few people who actually say there's no nightlife in Houston...are really bored types who don't know how to have fun, don't have any sense of navigation, or appreciation of all the new spots that continually open up here or continually need to be deposited on the Vegas Strip (or some fascimile) all the time.

There are SO many options here I'd like to check out, I just don't always have the time.

The beauty of the H-town metro is that there are dozens of entertainment pockets with ALL sorts of spots. Unlike tradtional urban cities that are stuck with a type of layout and centrality, at least H-town offers different environments in the geography.

There are SO MANY places that are cool and spread around, Agora, Boheme, Byzantio, Brasil, Poison Girl, Liberty Station, Super Happy Funland, Layal, CoCo's, Antidote, Komodo, Barcadia, Avant Garden, Anvil, Retro Lounge, Cat Birds, Royal Oak, Cafe 101, GingerMan, Candy, Cafe Europe, Cova Bar, Continental, Genji's, Pink's Lounge, No-Tsu-Oh, Flora N Muse, Straits, Confort Lounge, Cafe Yummy, Czar Bar, Onion Creek, Zone 504, just to name a few...I NEVER get bored here.

S--t, I can go to Agora many times and never get tired of that locale!

-Richmond Avenue
-Washington Avenue (NY Times Travel had to write about that party strip TWICE in recent years!)
-downtown
-Shepherd Plaza
-Galleria area (especially the Sage/Alabama axis and Uptown Park)
-New Chinatown (particularly at Dun Huang Center)
-Heights (particularly the interesting White Oak St.)
-Midtown
-Rice Village
-Montrose
-City Centre
-Kemah Lighthouse District (those indy patio bars can put out some live music, that's for sure.)
-Woodlands Waterway

So many nightlife clusters in the Houston region. And there's a supposed lack of nightlife?

What Houston lacks in density, it sure has plenty of spots in the bend and on the edges. There's just something for everyone here.

Even on Wednesday nights when I drive to work...just Richmond Avenue alone has cool cafes and bars that are PACKED!

I mean, every format is here in H-town's metro. Traditional urban downtown, offbeat colorful backstreets, pedestrian corridors, pedestrian low-rise villages, wide open patio bar/club boulevards...what other metro can give Houston's array?

Once again, the sticks-in-the-mud who say Houston isn't fun...are the type of folks who probably aren't any fun to be around (especially the types who simply dislike Houston) in the first place. If Houston isn't fun, then other big cities aren't fun.

The 4th largest US city, one of America's most diverse, more people coming here...I mean really...

HAHA Wow what a great review of Houston!!!!

I have a slight of topic question, which neighborhood do think is the best in terms of walkability/livability? Montrose, Galleria, mid-town etc....?

Sorry for going off the trail, just a quick question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City