Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Small town locals: Lived there all or most of their life, their greatest ambition is to be a big fish in the small pond, perhaps carry on the family farm or small business.

Large town dwellers: Population of about 10,000 to 100,000

Small city dwellers: Population 100,000 to 1 million

Real big city slickers: Inhabit the major cities, very used to the no-nonsense businesslike ways of the big city.

Stereotypes aside, in what ways do these people tend to differ? I do know all people are different, and I'm not including city folk who went to the country, but how do they differ in friendliness/the type of friendliness, their business manner/style, openness/extroversion, their hobbies/likes dislikes, dress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
It likely varies depending on the nature of the population of each. Is it transient or rooted, affluent or poor, etc.

Generally I think people in bigger cities have a tendency to be somewhat more stand-offish. This isn't the insult it sounds like, it's just what I think is sensible for their situation. You don't have the time or energy to try to get to know, or care, about everyone when "everyone" is some huge number. They also seem to get bored pretty easily. That kind of is more of an insult, even though it might sound like less of one. (I'm somewhat impatient with people who bore easily) Small-town people have a tendency to pry and gossip. I know that also sounds like a stereotype, but I think there's at least some truth to it. It might also make sense for their/our situation as our entertainments are somewhat more constrained and our lives are maybe more obviously intertwined. If the small town isn't Baptist or Mormon underage drunkeness is often commonplace. Alcohol can be very easy to get for a teen in small town. In my small town basically what you have to do is ask for it or, at most, get an adult to buy it for you or go through your parents booze. I get the sense city-folk must lock their alcohol thoroughly away, and avoid buying for teens, because some of them say their kids can get marijuana easier than alcohol. (Granted I think they're deluding themselves and that city teens also drink, but I'd agree small town teens do get drunk more often)

In between I'm not sure.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Stereotypes aside, in what ways do these people tend to differ?
Given the content of this post, this has to win the award for one of the most oxymoronic statements I've seen on this silly board. Do tell how we can keep "sterotypes aside" from a question that is - by definition - all about stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City