Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Nightlife?
Boston 34 54.84%
Denver 28 45.16%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 11:05 PM

141 posts, read 90,988 times

Advertisements

Two of my favorite cities - unfortunately, both are known for not having great nightlife. But which one is better?

Better bars? Clubs/Dancing? Nightlife neighborhood clusters? Music Scene? Pubs? Late-night food options? Street scene at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 11:10 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Boston better clubs, better music scene, and more pubs.

Street scene, late night food goes to Denver.

Neighborhoods is a toss up but I assume it’s a tie or leans Boston .

Old 12-16-2021, 11:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
Denver has a decent Street scene on a weekend. Particularly LoDo, RiNo, Broadway and Lower Highland. But the diversity is kinda lacking. Denver’s not a nightlife oriented city so I’d rate it average, although improving.

I’d imagine Boston is much better. I’ll be visiting for the first time next month so I’ll refrain from voting until then though.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:31 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston better clubs, better music scene, and more pubs.

Street scene, late night food goes to Denver.

Neighborhoods is a toss up but I assume it’s a tie or leans Boston .
Haha yeah right, restaurants close notoriously early here.

With that said, I don't agree with the narrative that Denver underperforms in the nightlife category. I don't think there's a specific area that is particularly weak when I comes to things like clubs, bars, breweries, lounges, etc.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:54 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Boston has a much more cohesive layout conducive to venue-hopping. I don't get that vibe in Denver, which seems more spread out/multi-nodal in its late night scene.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:56 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Haha yeah right, restaurants close notoriously early here.

With that said, I don't agree with the narrative that Denver underperforms in the nightlife category. I don't think there's a specific area that is particularly weak when I comes to things like clubs, bars, breweries, lounges, etc.
Other than like a 7-11 or Burger King you can’t really get food past 10:30 in Boston

Old 12-17-2021, 08:13 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
I have a hard time imagining Denver nightlife is worse than Boston's. Boston's really isn't much.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:11 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Other than like a 7-11 or Burger King you can’t really get food past 10:30 in Boston
Not exactly true but kind of true. There are a few other spots I can think of.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:12 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I have a hard time imagining Denver nightlife is worse than Boston's.
Boston is a good drinking town to hop around and change up scenery, hit some beer gardens, hop around different neighborhoods, find some live music, go on a booze cruise, etc. A lot more fun, to me, can be had during the day than at night. I never had a visitor who liked to drink, say anything but great things about going out and about in Boston. But it can be a strange place, for sure... Sunday in fall is often more electric than a Saturday night in winter. Few cities have that dynamic.

Neither Boston or Denver are destinations for nightlife. I don't see a huge difference in "quality" or how much fun you will have on a given night between the two. Boston, especially when you combine the ability to go to Cambridge and Somerville, just offers a lot more.

I think we'd agree Boston's nightlife is broken down into the following sections:

Seaport/Fort Point
Southie
Downtown Crossing
Faneuil/West End/"Bullfinch"
Fenway/Boylston
Allston

I don't think you'd add JP or any pocket of Dorchester.. Just not enough in a given location to make the claim, as far as I know.

Much of Boston is fairly seasonal.. West End is obviously more happening in winter than summer. The opposite is true about Fenway and Boylston bars. Seaport now fills up year around, though it's far more going on in the Summer.

Then you add Central Square/Harvard, Union, Davis into the fold, and the bars and music venues scattered in between.

Everyone will define nightlife differently. Neither are good club cities. Both shut down early (Denver 1, Boston 2 if I'm not mistaken). Denver probably has more emphasis, as many "newer" cities do, on select nightlife areas. Boston is more dispersed across many different areas.

But Boston is still going to offer more of a "Big City" nightlife feel, and it's not that close. Just more to do... Go smoke cigars and drink espresso martinis until 2 am in the North End. Go to Southie and wait in line at 10 bars. Go to Fenway and puke in the street. Go to the West End and try out the places that cannot make up their minds if they want to be sports bars or clubs. Hit Cambridge and drink funky beers and cocktails and listen to local music. Or put on your best and go hop around a few swanky rooftops and visit a couple of mixologists in Seaport/Fort Point. Those options won't exist, in as much quantity, in Denver as they do in Boston.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:26 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Its really hard in Denver too. Mostly have to rely on fast food or a handful of places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Boston is a good drinking town to hop around and change up scenery, hit some beer gardens, hop around different neighborhoods, find some live music, go on a booze cruise, etc. A lot more fun, to me, can be had during the day than at night. I never had a visitor who liked to drink, say anything but great things about going out and about in Boston. But it can be a strange place, for sure... Sunday in fall is often more electric than a Saturday night in winter. Few cities have that dynamic.

Neither Boston or Denver are destinations for nightlife. I don't see a huge difference in "quality" or how much fun you will have on a given night between the two. Boston, especially when you combine the ability to go to Cambridge and Somerville, just offers a lot more.

I think we'd agree Boston's nightlife is broken down into the following sections:

Seaport/Fort Point
Southie
Downtown Crossing
Faneuil/West End/"Bullfinch"
Fenway/Boylston
Allston

I don't think you'd add JP or any pocket of Dorchester.. Just not enough in a given location to make the claim, as far as I know.

Much of Boston is fairly seasonal.. West End is obviously more happening in winter than summer. The opposite is true about Fenway and Boylston bars. Seaport now fills up year around, though it's far more going on in the Summer.

Then you add Central Square/Harvard, Union, Davis into the fold, and the bars and music venues scattered in between.

Everyone will define nightlife differently. Neither are good club cities. Both shut down early (Denver 1, Boston 2 if I'm not mistaken). Denver probably has more emphasis, as many "newer" cities do, on select nightlife areas. Boston is more dispersed across many different areas.

But Boston is still going to offer more of a "Big City" nightlife feel, and it's not that close. Just more to do... Go smoke cigars and drink espresso martinis until 2 am in the North End. Go to Southie and wait in line at 10 bars. Go to Fenway and puke in the street. Go to the West End and try out the places that cannot make up their minds if they want to be sports bars or clubs. Hit Cambridge and drink funky beers and cocktails and listen to local music. Or put on your best and go hop around a few swanky rooftops and visit a couple of mixologists in Seaport/Fort Point. Those options won't exist in Denver like they do in Boston.
Denver is 2am, never knew cities shut down bars before that time.

I don't think the bolded shows anything special that Denver doesn't have options for. There's speakeasies, cigar bars, live music, Latino spots, black clubs, rooftop venues, overpriced clubs, probably 300 breweries/taprooms/distilleries and even a sake brewery(?) in my neighborhood.

You also have more options in Boulder including rooftop dining, breweries, and college bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City