Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,399 times

Advertisements

I was surprised Chicago lost that much. Under 2.7 million? That was way below the census estimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

184 posts, read 571,614 times
I worked for the Census back in April. They are not as accurate as I thought they were. Big mistake in Chicago's population loss results. I do believe that some neighborhoods are losing population especially the African American neighborhoods on the south and west sides. But the majority of Latino, White and Asian neighborhoods are gaining population as we speak. Downtown Chicago's population and the nearby neighborhood's population estimates are duplicating and it is not hard to notice it. But oh well I guess we all have to go by what the Census says.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Chicago will probably counter this, they'll announce it probably in the next month or so. The problem is the city cant blame anyone besides themselves, it led the nation as the worst census return forms there has been all of last decade. Some 66% of the population participated while many just threw the Census forums away.

It's monstrous, to be frank I don't believe its population in reality is anywhere as low as the US Census states, but we'll know eventually anyways.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
The think Phoenix, AZ could be the next city that surprises everyone just like Chicago did.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The think Phoenix, AZ could be the next city that surprises everyone just like Chicago did.
Chicago's isn't as much of a surprise, when i saw the article back in summer about how it having the least citizen involvement on Census forms I knew, just knew right then that Chicago and the carelessness of some of the people there would screw it up for the entire city.

With Phoenix, I think its total is a bit overstated. I do not believe that Phoenix continued on with the level of gains that it had earlier on in the decade. I actually think Philadelphia is starting to close the gap with Phoenix and might surpass Phoenix again.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,875 times
Chicago has had its heyday for decades, it is just not as appealing to people as it once was.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,064,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Chicago will probably counter this, they'll announce it probably in the next month or so. The problem is the city cant blame anyone besides themselves, it led the nation as the worst census return forms there has been all of last decade. Some 66% of the population participated while many just threw the Census forums away.
Should the city have the opportunity to counter? I believe it should, but I can also see the arguement against it. People should have been prepared.

To see participation rates check out the following link:
2010 Census Mail Participation Rate Map - 2010 Census

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Chicago has had its heyday for decades, it is just not as appealing to people as it once was.
For decades? Wha?? I wasnt around then but the city in the 70's 80's and even the 90's was not the most "appealing".

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Should the city have the opportunity to counter? I believe it should, but I can also see the arguement against it. People should have been prepared.

It's not a matter of "should", but when:

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/archives/challenges.html - broken link)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Chicago's heyday was in 1960, but you know what else? Chicago still by almost every publicist ranks as the 2nd most vital economic center in the country. Not so bad for a city passed its prime. It's an established city that keeps up with the pace of time, every city has a peak period when they're at their best but Chicago's kept pace at where it's been and that's coming out # 2.

It's # 1 in Commodities Exchange (in the world), # 1 in Transportation (in North America), # 2 in Finance (in North America), # 3 in Banking (in America), # 3 in corporate base (in America), # 2 in Aviation, # 3 in Aeronautics, in the Top 6 for educational institutions, & One of the most toured cities in the country and accredited by design firms for one of the top architectural cities in the country along with New York. And for what it's worth, one of the only 5 cities in the country to have permanent performing arts in all 4 major categories with the best Symphony in the world. Yeah not many cities in the United States can lay claim to a broad amount of achievements like that. So no, it may be passed its heyday, but don't try to paint it as anything less of what it is.

Yeah I think Chicago is doing rather fine for a city "much passed its heyday". I don't get this argument sometimes where people equate growth with necessity, growth first of all is a hick word. And growth aside, you still cant fathom how the city in general comes out Top 3 in the country in many aspects, Top 5 in nearly all aspects put together.

LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post

I agree, the people should have been prepared for it. It's amazing how a few thousand people can screw it up for the entire city.

According to your link:

Chicago city: 66%
Illinois state: 76%
US national: 74%

Chicago did an awful job, whether it counters it or not, but that's a terrible job for a city of its size. The city officials should have been more adept on getting people involved.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Tweak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City