Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times

Advertisements

/thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Well I was born and raised in NYC so New York New York OR Empire State Of Mind (more modern) can be used.

It was discussed in another thread that NYC natives tend to identify with the city first and THEN the state (which location wise is different from every other city). I'd put New York, New York in front of any other state/city song just because it's my preference, just like you'll have your own.
Yes, but you do realize that NYC is not a State. Don't get me wrong, if it were actually a State then we'd have a competition on our hands since "New York, New York" is one of the all time great songs (though a bit cheesy now since it's waaaaay to much play), but we'll never know...and sorry, "Georgia on my mind" is still a much better song from an arrangement standpoint. You could put any State in the beginning and it still would be.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,280 times
Iowa wins LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyeY0hWU28I

But really if anyone thinks they can beat Colorado they are insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTGhwY0LPNU

and I don't even like hip-hop... total metalhead.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Frank sinitras new york new york is by far the best and most famous city/state anthem, with georgia coming in at a distant 2nd. Im not saying sinitra was anywhere near as good as Charles but ny,ny is the better song

Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,280 times
I don't get how people are confusing a song about a city with a state's anthem, pretty straight forward I would think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO7s02PvG2U

That is the state song of New York, compare it to "Georgia on my mind" or don't bother arguing.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Frank sinitras new york new york is by far the best and most famous city/state anthem, with georgia coming in at a distant 2nd. Im not saying sinitra was anywhere near as good as Charles but ny,ny is the better song
Dude, "New York, New York" is not the official song of anything so it doesn't even count. But the funniest thing about this post is you say "Sinatra wasn't anywhere near as good as Charles" but then say "New York, New York" is the better song versus arguably Ray Charles' best and most famous song is the true sign of homerism. Face it, you're not going to win this one no matter how many times you stomp your feet about it.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That's not fair Ray Charles made that song and it became the state song. Every other state song is old and boring.

This song is BORING!

"Texas, Our Texas"

Texas, Our Texas! all hail the mighty State!
Texas, Our Texas! so wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.
(chorus)

Texas, O Texas! your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far,
Emblem of Freedom! it set our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.
(chorus)

Texas, dear Texas! from tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor, your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes, we come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

Chorus

God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.
God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

Well, geez, Dallaz, state songs are supposed to be inspiring and stirring. Not Top 40 hits (on whatever chart!) Which, yes, I suppose in this day and age when constant stimulation is expected and demanded, that would translate into booooorrrrring for many! LOL

So, I'll take "our" Texas state song over any other. And listen to that classic Ray Charles hit (which I happen to LOVE) on the oldies channels!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-18-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
"Sweet Home Alabama" is the coolest state song by far! Even though 'Bama is not my home...

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Dude, "New York, New York" is not the official song of anything so it doesn't even count. But the funniest thing about this post is you say "Sinatra wasn't anywhere near as good as Charles" but then say "New York, New York" is the better song versus arguably Ray Charles' best and most famous song is the true sign of homerism. Face it, you're not going to win this one no matter how many times you stomp your feet about it.
I mean if ya want to cop out likre that than its all good. The song by steve karmen has absolutely no presence in new york city or new york state. Sinitras new york new york is overwhelmingly nys official song to residents and non-residents alike. Most nyers nevereven heard steve karmans song. An eception should be made in this case

Georgia is nowhere near ray charles "best" work.lol

Win? NY,NY is by far a more popular,iconic and internationally known song-this is fact. And in my opinion its better than "georgia"

Your only hope is to disqualify ny ny to win your argument.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I mean if ya want to cop out likre that than its all good. The song by steve karmen has absolutely no presence in new york city or new york state. Sinitras new york new york is overwhelmingly nys official song to residents and non-residents alike. Most nyers nevereven heard steve karmans song. An eception should be made in this case

Georgia is nowhere near ray charles "best" work.lol

Win? NY,NY is by far a more popular,iconic and internationally known song-this is fact. And in my opinion its better than "georgia"

Your only hope is to disqualify ny ny to win your argument.
The thread is about official State songs. "New York, New York" is not the official state song of New York and is not even about the State, just one city. That means it's not on topic and just makes you look petty in the process to keep going on and on about it.

As for how people feel about it, in Rolling Stone's "Top 500 songs of all time", Georgia on My Mind is #44. "New York, New York" is not even ranked. That's pretty good authority.

Rolling Stones Magazine's Top 500 Songs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City