Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The thread is about official State songs. "New York, New York" is not the official state song of New York and is not even about the State, just one city. That means it's not on topic and just makes you look petty in the process to keep going on and on about it.

As for how people feel about it, in Rolling Stone's "Top 500 songs of all time", Georgia on My Mind is #44. "New York, New York" is not even ranked. That's pretty good authority.

Rolling Stones Magazine's Top 500 Songs
Aight The A got it

And if you think georgia on my mind is anywhere as iconic in representing a location,the way ny ny is than your delusional. People from all around the world know ny ny, i doubt it with "georgia"

Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Aight The A got it

And if you think georgia on my mind is anywhere as iconic in representing a location,the way ny ny is than your delusional. People from all around the world know ny ny, i doubt it with "georgia"
Who said that and why are you making this about Atlanta VS NYC (which this thread isn't about either)?

Fine, if it'll make you feel better, NYC is the best at EVERYTHING. Even at having it's own unofficial/official State song that isn't a State song but trumps all State songs because it's about NYC...

Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Yes, but you do realize that NYC is not a State. Don't get me wrong, if it were actually a State then we'd have a competition on our hands since "New York, New York" is one of the all time great songs (though a bit cheesy now since it's waaaaay to much play), but we'll never know...and sorry, "Georgia on my mind" is still a much better song from an arrangement standpoint. You could put any State in the beginning and it still would be.
Yeah I understand your point of view, but I'm still going to disagree. But before I go on I'm just stating my opinion and thoughts, no argument intended. Just hear me out.

The reason why I said NY, NY is because for us that's our state song (I'm not talking about people upstate; they'd probably agree with you). I know you're like how's that possible but it is, in a sense. Like I said before we identify with the city first and then the state. NYC isn't even on the mainland of America (except for The Bronx) so culturally, in a way, we're alittle different from "upstate". This sounds crazy but it's true we're the only city that's not within it's state boundaries. NYC is comprised of just islands. It's weird to explain but that's just my opinion on it.

I've never heard of that song about NY, by Steve until yesterday and searched for it. I've always thought our state song WAS NY, NY by Frank. Lol

I guess it's alittle different for NYC too because alot of people speak about New York in songs but their really talking about New York City.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Yeah I understand your point of view, but I'm still going to disagree. But before I go on I'm just stating my opinion and thoughts, no argument intended. Just hear me out.

The reason why I said NY, NY is because for us that's our state song (I'm not talking about people upstate; they'd probably agree with you). I know you're like how's that possible but it is, in a sense. Like I said before we identify with the city first and then the state. NYC isn't even on the mainland of America (except for The Bronx) so culturally, in a way, we're alittle different from "upstate". This sounds crazy but it's true we're the only city that's not within it's state boundaries. NYC is comprised of just islands. It's weird to explain but that's just my opinion on it.

I've never heard of that song about NY, by Steve until yesterday and searched for it. I've always thought our state song WAS NY, NY by Frank. Lol

I guess it's alittle different for NYC too because alot of people speak about New York in songs but their really talking about New York City.
I get your train of thought. My parents (and most of my extended family) are New Yorkers from Queens and I spent an inordinate amount there as a child. It is true that New Yorkers seem themselves as a separate entity than Upstaters and that mindset lends validation to the point that "New York, New York" would be the "State song" in their minds.

BUT

Is "New York, New York" the State song of New York state. No.

Is "New York, New York" a better song that "Georgia On My Mind". No, and Rolling Stone even agrees.

However, is "New York, New York" an iconic song and a big part of Americana? Certainly, but "Georgia on my Mind" is more so.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
I get your train of thought. My parents (and most of my extended family) are New Yorkers from Queens and I spent an inordinate amount there as a child. It is true that New Yorkers seem themselves as a separate entity than Upstaters and that mindset lends validation to the point that "New York, New York" would be the "State song" in their minds.

BUT

Is "New York, New York" a better song that "Georgia On My Mind". No, and Rolling Stone even agrees.

However, is "New York, New York" an iconic song and a big part of Americana? Certainly, but "Georgia on my Mind" is more so.
Are you serious, Georgia on my mind is not even in the same universe as NY,NY not even close. NY,NY is known by people all over the world. Georgia on my mind is way more of an american regional song. And rolling stone is not the end all be all of list. Your delusional if you think that song is anywhere near as iconic and known as ny,ny. U cant be serious

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Sweet Home Alabama
Carolina In My Mind

Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
DID Y'ALL SEE? Tonight "American Idol" did an entire segment on contestants covering "Georgia On My Mind" -- maybe because host Ryan Seacrest is a Georgia Boy (Dunwoody High graduate). At any rate, can we all agree that there is NO BETTER STATE SONG in the entire US of A?

"Just an old sweet song keeps Georgis on my mind ..."

"Shipping up to Boston" - Dropkick Murphys was one of the most embarassing representations of my state. Little do they know everyone hates the once local band Dropkick.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Here is Colorado's state song!

"You" - Atmosphere

Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

BUT

I am not sure i completely agree with your last point but that also may be a bit of my backyard being and Italian American, The Chairman was iconic in my parts, while GA on my mind was just a pretty song - think it all depends on perspective, either way both great songs

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I mean if ya want to cop out likre that than its all good. The song by steve karmen has absolutely no presence in new york city or new york state. Sinitras new york new york is overwhelmingly nys official song to residents and non-residents alike. Most nyers nevereven heard steve karmans song. An eception should be made in this case

Georgia is nowhere near ray charles "best" work.lol

Win? NY,NY is by far a more popular,iconic and internationally known song-this is fact. And in my opinion its better than "georgia"

Your only hope is to disqualify ny ny to win your argument.
I really don't have a problem with "Theme from NY, NY" being New York's official unofficial state song.

GA on my mind isn't his best song, no arguments there but I don't think that you can prove the parts in bold. "Theme from NY,NY" is more iconic with NY (because they overdo it in) but overall, "Georgia on my mind" is more known and more popular.

One way to determine this is by finding out which one has the most accolades, how many times have the song been remade, by who, and where is that particular artist from. That's my criteria and it shows that "Georgia on my Mind" has this but it's a good debate because "Theme from New York, New York" is close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City