Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,116 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree that there is no single region in this country that can rival the BosWash corridor, so my question is what would be the minimum amount of cities that you can group together to rival the corridor using the following criteria:
  • Economy
  • Population
  • Education
  • Company Headquarters
  • Transportation
  • Sports
I obviously did not include government due to there's no rivaling the corridor in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I think we can all agree that there is no single region in this country that can rival the BosWash corridor, so my question is what would be the minimum amount of cities that you can group together to rival the corridor using the following criteria:
  • Economy
  • Population
  • Education
  • Company Headquarters
  • Transportation
  • Sports
I obviously did not include government due to there's no rivaling the corridor in that department.
[/h]

Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Well, there are a few which may come close. There is Chi-Pitts which has Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, the 3Cs of Ohio, and Pittsburgh to name a few. My personal favorite of Charlanta which has Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Birmingham plus a slew (and a very huge one at that) of medium to smaller Southern cities, SoFlo withich has a continuous span of MSAs from Jacksonvile wrappping all the way to Tampa Bay. While BosWash is definitely number 1, these other areas definitely pack quite a punch in the areas you mention plus great quality of life. There are also the Texas Triangle, and if you link San Diego and San Francisco as one region, that area packs quite a punch.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
^^
The Chi-Pitts actually is the street term for the Great Lakes Magalopolis which actually includes Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Montreal, Saint Louis, Milwaukee, and a bunch of other cities.

Great Lakes Megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no region that is quite on the level of the Bos-Wash but the Great Lakes Megalopolis probably comes in # 2 depending on how you view it, in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
^^
The Chi-Pitts actually is the street term for the Great Lakes Magalopolis which actually includes Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Montreal, Saint Louis, Milwaukee, and a bunch of other cities.

Great Lakes Megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no region that is quite on the level of the Bos-Wash but the Great Lakes Megalopolis probably comes in # 2 depending on how you view it, in my opinion.
If that is true, then I would say Chi-Pitts is definitely up there. You have Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, and Minneapolis! So far, we'd only have the GDP that included the US cities. Including Canada the tide is about even.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
theres no region in the world period, that can rival the bos wash corridor. The combination of DC and NYC is too powerful. No region in the world has all the bases covered like the boswash corridor

Old 02-19-2011, 05:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
If that is true, then I would say Chi-Pitts is definitely up there. You have Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, and Minneapolis! So far, we'd only have the GDP that included the US cities. Including Canada the tide is about even.

I actually with Cananda it surpasses in GDP and population by a fairly considerable margin. Though it does cover nearly twice the geography

Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
The Palmiami corridor nobody can rival the number of palm trees in this region. LOL!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
  • Economy
  • Population
  • Education
  • Company Headquarters
  • Transportation
  • Sports
If you are referring to actual regions, there are 4 in the country as designated by the Census Bureau.

The Northeast, The Midwest, The South and The West.

In terms of population and GDP, the South and West have both surpassed the Northeast soundly and are widening the gap at a brisk rate. That's not really a shock to anyone though.

Also, Virginia and I think Maryland and DC are not included in the Northeast Region but are instead part of the South as far as regions go.

But if we're talking about the loosely defined megalopolis then I would concur with your supposition.

However it needs to be stated that a Megalopolis is based only on developed land mass and is not based on any of the more stringent criteria that defines Metro Areas or Combined Statistical Areas.

This is why the Census doesnt even complile data on Megalopolises-because they are ultimately useless when it comes to geopolitical needs of our data collecting agencies.

HOWEVER that is changing but not only in the Northeast. Some have identified several areas around the country that are evolving into an area like the Area known as Bos-Wash.

Here are some of the various megalopolises being bandied about by people who study this sort of thing:

http://creativeclass.com/whos_your_city/maps/FIG_3.1_Mega-Rhttp://creativeclass.com/whos_your_city/maps/FIG_3.1_Mega-Regions_of_North_America.gifegions_of_North_Americ a.gif (broken link)
http://creativeclass.com/whos_your_city/maps/FIG_3.1_Mega-Rhttp://creativeclass.com/whos_your_city/maps/FIG_3.1_Mega-Regions_of_North_America.gifegions_of_North_Americ a.gif (broken link)

http://www.theeestory.com/files/emer...egions_001.png

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
theres no region in the world period, that can rival the bos wash corridor. The combination of DC and NYC is too powerful. No region in the world has all the bases covered like the boswash corridor
Well, there Greater Tokyo which is somewhat influential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City