Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

537 posts, read 818,747 times

Advertisements

Toronto is actually doing pretty well right now, certainly not going in the direction of Cleveland or Detroit.

I have heard the Winnipeg isn't doing well, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 AM

26 posts, read 41,607 times
First off, this post is pretty idiotic. Toronto is the economic capital of a prosperous first world nation. No way it ever goes down the road economically of Detroit and Cleveland. Also even though the city of Toronto tries to ignore the crime rates in ethnic neighborhoods, it is still one of the safest big cities in all of North America and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Now to the people who are saying that Toronto is "booming" that is quite the stretch. As of December 2010 the unemployment rate was still sitting at 10% which was one of the highest in the country; the youth unemployment rate was at 18%; 1 in 6 people still live in poverty. Also as a city they are not even in the Top 20 in the world GDP, and actually have the same GDP according to PWC as Detroit ($253$BN)

So while I do disagree with the post, Toronto has many challenges people try to ignore.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Is Delaware going to be the next California?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfrrl View Post
I keep hearing on the news that Toronto's crime rate is going up and last time I visited, I noticed the buildings were not as polished as they had been in the past. If anything, walking down Bay Street reminded me of walking through downtown Cleveland on a larger scale. People keep saying "stop comparing Toronto to Cleveland or Detroit" for lack of no comparison. However, I do believe comparison is beginning to exist. Either Toronto is declining or Detroit and Cleveland are making a comeback?

And it's hardly fair to put Cleveland in with Detroit. Have you been to these cities or are you just throwing around the stereotypes and generalizations you've heard?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM

285 posts, read 641,972 times
Oakland, Baltimore, Newark, and D.C. are some major cities that all have higher murder rates than Cleveland. Plus, if you look at the entire metro area its crime rates are pretty average.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
Does Cleveland really have that bad of a perception? I too was confused why Cleveland was listed.

Especially in the past two years, Cleveland has really cleaned itself up...murder rate WAY down, $4 billion in new construction, among leaders in manufacturing growth, unemployment below the national average, and Cleveland Clinic/UH/Biotech intense growth.

This isn't 1980's Cleveland...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
In terms of construction, Toronto is indeed BOOMING right now. The number of new high-rise buildings currently being constructed in Toronto is greater than the number currently being constructed in the ENTIRE United States! Crazy but true.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Does Cleveland really have that bad of a perception? I too was confused why Cleveland was listed.

Especially in the past two years, Cleveland has really cleaned itself up...murder rate WAY down, $4 billion in new construction, among leaders in manufacturing growth, unemployment below the national average, and Cleveland Clinic/UH/Biotech intense growth.

This isn't 1980's Cleveland...

True, but 1/3 of Cleveland also lives below the poverty line. Cleveland's issues are extremely entrenched and are rooted as much in racism as they are in the poverty itself. Ditto for most of the US.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
It amazes me how C-D users must use another city to show decline. Instead of saying "is (insert city here) declining" you say "Is (insert city here) the next Detroit". I mean just omit the feelings of those who live here smh

Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
In terms of construction, Toronto is indeed BOOMING right now. The number of new high-rise buildings currently being constructed in Toronto is greater than the number currently being constructed in the ENTIRE United States! Crazy but true.
Not true.

Emporis data:
NYC 93 U/C
Toronto 80 U/C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City