Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states have the best year round weather after California and Hawaii?
Georgia (Atlanta) 8 40.00%
Arizona (Phoenix) 1 5.00%
Florida (Orland0) 4 20.00%
Texas (Dallas) 3 15.00%
Washington (Seattle) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:50 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times

Advertisements

Which State has the best year round liveable weather after California and Hawaii? and why??

1) Georgia (Atlanta)
2) Washington (Seattle)
3) Texas (Dalles & Houston)
4) Arizona (Phoenix)
5) Florida (Orlando & Miami)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
None of the above! I have lived in Phoenix in the summertime, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The cities in the SE have the combination of heat and humidity in the summer that makes them unbearable, along with winters that can turn brutally cold on a dime (with the exception of Orlando, but winter there feels clammy and damp). I haven't been to Seattle, but I know people who have moved there looking for the gold at the end of the rainbow and returned to the Great Lakes region to get some sunshine and to get out of the rain...that should tell you something.

I would add Salt Lake City to the list and choose it. I know the winters can be cold, but not normally brutally so, and the mountain elevation makes the summers bearable. I wouldn't want to live there for other reasons (no, NOT because of Mormons, I just don't like the West in general), but I think it has a nice, overall livable climate.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
None of the above! I have lived in Phoenix in the summertime, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The cities in the SE have the combination of heat and humidity in the summer that makes them unbearable, along with winters that can turn brutally cold on a dime (with the exception of Orlando, but winter there feels clammy and damp). I haven't been to Seattle, but I know people who have moved there looking for the gold at the end of the rainbow and returned to the Great Lakes region to get some sunshine and to get out of the rain...that should tell you something.

I would add Salt Lake City to the list and choose it. I know the winters can be cold, but not normally brutally so, and the mountain elevation makes the summers bearable. I wouldn't want to live there for other reasons (no, NOT because of Mormons, I just don't like the West in general), but I think it has a nice, overall livable climate.
Haha what? Orlandos winters are mainly sunny and dry.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Utah, Oregon, New Mexico, Florida winters are great to.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Atlanta is not far from the mountains to escape the summer heat. I note this because I have relatives in Florida who often go up to the North Carolina mountains to get away from the heat for a while. Atlanta is even closer and more convienant to places like the Great Smokies.

Plus, I am guessing that Atlanta is a little nicer during the Spring and Fall than Florida or Texas? Not sure, I am just guessing.

Florida of course wins during the winter!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Hawaii is my first place, Florida and California pretty tied, maybe an edge to Florida. Arizona is very hot and can be humid during summer at times, with thunderstorms (this last only a few weeks though). Otherwise, way too dry. I know people prefer dry heat to humid heat mostly, but not this one! Dry heat is just WAY too intense for me to handle once it gets in the 90s, and is more dangerous. Arizona also has very chilly winters, especially at night. Georgia weather sucks! Snowy and cold in winter, very humid and hot in summer. Even on the coast, too chilly in winter. Texas gets cold also in winter, otherwise just very hot and mostly humid .

Hawaii is perfect for me-trade winds, year-roud 80F, maybe 75F every now and then, water is always warm and clear, not too humid, but enough to make everything green and keep skin moist. Nights there are perfect-65F and above usually. Hawaii also is just plain beautiful. Even though the rains are warm, I do wish there were more thunderstorms like the EC in summertime.

California is also very pretty and has nice beaches, but sadly the water is chilly much of the time, and not very clear. California is too dry and foggy a lot of the time, nights are usually chilly and windy, and days in winter/spring are mostly in the 60sF for way too long. Summer and fall are nice in California-75-80F, nights around 70F, warmer water. Still, just not enough rain, so a lot of fires.

Florida is very humid, pretty hot and gets those annoying winter fronts from the north that make the water cold, but it is just so pretty. The weather is ideal for me-most of the year is 80F and humidity is tolerable for some of the year. I love the warm thunderstorms and that Caribbean water.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
None of the above! I thought of South Carolina/North Carolina after California/Hawaii.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
None of the above! I thought of South Carolina/North Carolina after California/Hawaii.
As did I.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
For year round? probably that stretch from NC/SC/GA... pretty mild, not as hot and humid as the rest of the south, higher in elevation, not as hot and muggy as Florida

Florida for year round??? no...

Possibly also southern Oregon but not many big cities around there.

People say New Mexico is pretty good too.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM

399 posts, read 705,281 times
I say East Tennessee and it's not even on the list. I lived there 10 years and loved it. I've lived in Canada where it's really cold and now in Texas where it's really hot, so I like the medium temperature of east TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City