Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times

Advertisements

No. The Peninsula's suburban town centers are just a copy of New England and Upper Midwestern suburban town centers.

I'd say suburbs of New York, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Washington are the best. They are the originals.

Shaker Heights, OH; Greenwich, CT; Wellesley, MA; Evanston, IL; Highland Park, IL; Birmingham, MI; Bethesda, MD; Chevy Chase, MD; Arlington, VA; Lower Merion, PA; and Scarsdale, NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was going to say....In NY State, you have plenty of walkable suburban villages/communities in all of the metros.
For examples, do a streetview of NY communities like Kenmore, Brockport, Skaneateles, Clinton, Scotia, Liverpool, Pittsford, Brighton's 12 Corners, Fairport, East Aurora, Amherst's Snyder neighborhood/hamlet, Spencerport, Fayetteville, Manlius, Baldwinsville, Williamsville, Lewiston, New Hartford, Horseheads, Elmira Heights, Johnson City, Delmar and Webster, among many others.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
No. The Peninsula's suburban town centers are just a copy of New England and Upper Midwestern suburban town centers.

I'd say suburbs of New York, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Washington are the best. They are the originals.

Shaker Heights, OH; Greenwich, CT; Wellesley, MA; Evanston, IL; Highland Park, IL; Birmingham, MI; Bethesda, MD; Chevy Chase, MD; Arlington, VA; Lower Merion, PA; and Scarsdale, NY.

I always really liked Shaker Heights, the main street architecture is very cool. The Cleveland area does not get enough credit on here. Great locations and architecture

Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
This is completely wrong, regardless of whether the Peninsula has the best string of suburban downtowns or not.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Er, I know what your trying to say overunder12 but some of those cities are such important job centers that I dont feel comfortable classifying them as 'suburbs'. LOL.

Palo Alto for example is a huge employment destination not only due to its Fortune 500 companies, but also its numerous financial companies(Venture Capitalists, NYSE office, WSJ office etc), law firms, start ups as well as oh yeah, Stanford University and all the auxiliary things such as laboratories and the esteemed Stanford Hospital. Not to mention its highly successful and very upscale mall and downtown retail areas.

Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Redwood City and Menlo Park Im sure all see population increases during the day as well as Palo Alto.

As far as your question, I think the East Bay gives you a run for your money to be honest.

Also, I recall the DC area have a ton of vibrant (not so) little downtowns right around DC too.

But the Peninsula is a great candidate no doubt!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
It's one of them - but I certainly wouldn't say it stands out as the best string. A lot of other areas have strings like that, especially in the northeast.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:

Yeah, but again, we're not talking about edge cities - like Bethesda or Evanston - but suburbs that are a good distance from a big city.

The 24-mile stretch between Broadway in Burlingame and Downtown Mountain View has about 11 or 12 vibrant and walkable downtowns and midtowns, all linear and tightly packed, connected easily by rail.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Er, I know what your trying to say overunder12 but some of those cities are such important job centers that I dont feel comfortable classifying them as 'suburbs'. LOL.

Palo Alto for example is a huge employment destination not only due to its Fortune 500 companies, but also its numerous financial companies(Venture Capitalists, NYSE office, WSJ office etc), law firms, start ups as well as oh yeah, Stanford University and all the auxiliary things such as laboratories and the esteemed Stanford Hospital. Not to mention its highly successful and very upscale mall and downtown retail areas.

Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Redwood City and Menlo Park Im sure all see population increases during the day as well as Palo Alto.

As far as your question, I think the East Bay gives you a run for your money to be honest.

Also, I recall the DC area have a ton of vibrant (not so) little downtowns right around DC too.

But the Peninsula is a great candidate no doubt!
To me, South Bay cities like Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and Cupertino are passed the cut-off line.. At that point you're leaving the penninsula and getting into San Jose sprawl.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Yeah, but again, we're not talking about edge cities - like Bethesda or Evanston - but suburbs that are a good distance from a big city.

The 24-mile stretch between Broadway in Burlingame and Downtown Mountain View has about 11 or 12 vibrant and walkable downtowns and midtowns, all linear and tightly packed, connected easily by rail.

have you been through CT, Jersey, or heading west out the main line of Philly? dont see any difference in your so called distances and rail connectivity. Actually Jersey and CT would extend much further with these towns in contrast to the distance you state and most definately beyond edge cities

Towns like Princeton, Morris Town, Westchester (the PA one), Doylestown, Bryn Mawr, Wayne etc etc etc or in DC out to Restin and Sterling and Leesburg etc.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V2g-...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJSJH...eature=related

Also interesting as an aside the radio station playing in the background provides traffic for both NYC and Philly in the same report - guess there is something to the connectivity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City